Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brakes 'clank' when I apply them

Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
1914 is on a distinguished road
1914's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes 'clank' when I apply them

I have a 2007 Taco 4x4 SR5 extended cab, non TRD model.

When I apply the brakes it's making a sound I can hear underneath like something is binding, a linkage or something. To me, it sounds like a kink in the brake cable, or something is getting hung up somewhere, but I can't identify where by looking underneath and tugging at things.
The noise is a one shot deal where it occurs only once as I step on the brake. It's not continuous or repeating like worn brake pad noise, which would be a completely different type of sound that I would definitely recognize. I replaced my calipers (greased the pins) and pads. Strange enough, the noise went away for a few weeks after that, but then returned again.
Rears are fine, I have plenty of shoe left (again, different noise even if they were worn). The truck only has 60k on it and no off road use. I don't drive it hard at all.

Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas what I can check? To make it more difficult to check, it only seems to make noise when the vehicle is rolling. So I can't have someone sit in the cab while parked and apply the brake while I'm underneath. And I don't really want to hold the frame while laying on my creeper as it's moving either!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1914 View Post
The noise is a one shot deal where it occurs only once as I step on the brake
One shot deal...?? As in....the first time you step on the brakes every time and that's it until you get in the truck again the next time? Or does it happen every time you step on the brakes?

Does it do it in reverse? Do you feel any difference in peddle pressure?

Have you driven the truck in 4WD - do you get the same results?

You replaced your calipers - what did you buy? OEM or aftermarket?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
TDubber is on a distinguished road
Name: Dale
TDubber's Tacoma Gallery
I experience the exact same thing. It happens the first time I touch the pedal. Forward/reverse doesn't matter. I have to press the gas get moving again, then the next time I touch the brake, I hear it. It doesn't matter how hard/soft I apply the brakes. It does it regardless. I've driven with it for a couple months, no serious issues. I'd be curious if someone has a fix tho.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
the pads have a little bit of "float" to them. The sound is normal.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Major91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMajor91 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Major91's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

This is true ^^^^^
Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
1914 is on a distinguished road
1914's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
One shot deal...?? As in....the first time you step on the brakes every time and that's it until you get in the truck again the next time? Or does it happen every time you step on the brakes?

Does it do it in reverse? Do you feel any difference in peddle pressure?

Have you driven the truck in 4WD - do you get the same results?

You replaced your calipers - what did you buy? OEM or aftermarket?
Each time I step on them. No matter if it's in reverse or 4x. Brakes feel firm and normal. The calipers were remanufactured OEMs and the pads were after markets. But the problem existed before I did all that work.

Quote:
That's great... Pad slop.. I hope that's not it.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
white08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nice
Air Force: recip engine mechanic
Name: Al
white08gt's Tacoma Gallery
my 2005 has done it since new, changed the pads and put the old plus the new anti rattle clips. put the new clips on the bottom like the factory and added the old to the top. this stopped the brake noise when first hitting the brakes going backward or forward the first time. should be able to buy just the clips by themselves. I think the noise is coming from having 4 piston calipers and only releasing from one end. just a thought. the pads have the holes already there and the extra tension keeps them from making noise.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Mr. Midlife Crisis
TacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoAlaMode's Tacoma Gallery
Same issue on mine, but only the first time I touch the brake going one direction. Doesn't happen again until I go to reverse. I agree with the floating pads. If you pull the tire, you can reach in and see that the pads move around by hand and can pretty well reproduce a similar sound.

At one point, I thought it might be the upper or lower control arms but I tried everything I could stressing them by hand and they didn't move at all and the bushings are there to prevent metal to metal.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
IsmellBacon is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
IsmellBacon's Tacoma Gallery
Check the torque on the bolts that hold the calipers and the discs/drums. If they are loose it could allow minor motion causing the "clank". Secondly, check your bushings on the front and rear suspension. If they are worn/broken down they can allow movement and directional shifting when applying the brake allowing it to collide with it's carrier. This happened in my old 2001 Pathfinder (POS of a vehicle.)

Bacon
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Floating brake pads, 100% normal...NO "PAD SLOP"

Chris is correct...we covered it here before.

See here for more info...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nt-brakes.html

Google "floating brake pads"
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
From the other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Floating brake pads...completely normal.

This might help with noises...