1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hole in gas tank? I think it's vandalism/theft.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ReidStylez, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Jun 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    If you're concerned with drilling, get a few yards of fiberglass matt/batting and make a few layers over the gas tank and then cover with thin gauge sheet metal.

Not perfect but if someone tries to drill through it, you can be damn sure you're gonna drive away with someones abandoned drill hanging off your gas tank.

The fiberglass will get caught on the drillbit and spin all of it around the bit inside the sheet metal and make it damn near impossible to get out and/or any further into your gas tank.

2. Jun 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Does it matter what they're stealing? How does what your stealing open you up to a death sentence?

If you want to play judge, jury and executioner and start executing people in your front yard for stealing a bit of gas your probably going to jail in most states and in most countries.

3. Jun 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Because if you're hard up and need some help all you need to do is ask. I am in no way an uncharitable person, especially to those who have manners enough to ask or are otherwise engaged in lawful means to obtain assistance.

If you think other people bust their asses so you can just take whatever you want then you are a waste of resources, a leach on society, and should be summarily executed.

4. Jun 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    So if I'm a tweaker/crackhead and blew all my money on drugs all I gotta do is ask you for more instead of drilling your gas tank or cutting your cats off. *I'll remember that when I need my next hypothetical fix.

5. Jun 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    :rofl: I'd rather give you 5 bucks than go out to my truck and find it all messed up. And at least you were polite enough to ask.

6. Jun 21, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    $122 for a tank at LKQ.

7. Jun 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    ReidStylez

ReidStylez [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    Did you forget they vandalized my vehicle?

I'm not about to shoot someone for stealing gas. Nor if I caught the person doing it and they ran off there isn't much I could do. Now if they threaten my life or my families I'll be shooting guns a blazin'.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  8. Jun 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I'm definitely with you on that one.

9. Jun 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
  10. Jun 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    That's pretty brutal...

In Vancouver most of the people who are homeless/drug addicts are people who suffer from schizophrenia, psychosis, and other mental illnesses. These are the people who would be doing the petty crimes.

I know a few people who have suffered from psychosis and luckily they responded well to treatment and had a strong family system to help them through it. The 2 people I know recovered and now functioning citizens. People who don't end up homeless.

I'm not saying stealing shit is okay but suggesting death sentences for petty theft is ridiculous. Rehabilitation has been shown to be much more successful than the justice system in the US. Sadly Canada is moving towards the same broken system.

11. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    20taco10

20taco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Maple Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Offroad/Speedway blue 4door
    blacked out grill, BHLM, removed mud flaps, Thule tailgate pad...stock for now
    Have you ever had something stolen from you? It is terrible. You feel pretty shitty, and the fact that someone can just take what isn't theirs-what we put our hard earn money into-is pretty fucked up. I say shoot them in the front yard. A few years ago some guys stole our super nice show truck from our driveway, I was about 30 seconds too late, but the guns would have been blazing I'll tell you that much. People who have sympathy for any sort of thief make me sick. Go preach your shit somewhere else. This guy had his shit stolen, and now HE has to deal with it on his own dime.

12. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Of course I've had shit stolen. You just sound like a terrible person tbh. If you think blasting off a bunch of shots in your neighbourhood, presumably at houses across the street, is a good idea I don't know what to say. I'm sure the parents of the kid you shoot whiles he's asleep in bed will understand though. Saying stupid shit like that is why people want gun control laws.

13. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I meant in general. Programs like the ones in Norway have insanely low recommittal rates. I don't remember the exact number but it's under 10% iirc of people who go into prison for whatever reason ever end up back in prison. The prisoners there live in small cottages with t.v., their own kitchens, private showers/bathrooms and use extensive rehab programs.

If you look at the system in the US/Canada people call it university for criminals. People who had pot on them/stole some gas end up in prison with thousands of hardened criminals and are pretty much forced into a gang to survive etc etc. Once they get on the outside they can't get a decent job because of background checks so they have to go back to the criminal contacts they made in prison. I can go into more depth but I would be typing all day. I'm sure there are plenty of rehab programs in the US penal system but it clearly isn't enough.

I do agree on the issues with denying treatment though. The issue we have up here is that the government a few years ago shut down all the mental institutions so the mentally ill had nowhere to go so they ended up on the down town east side. Costing much much more than they would have in the institutions. Now we have to have things like Insite where they can shoot up safely. They also tend to steal a shit load of cars.

I'll stop going so far off topic PM me if you want to talk further.

14. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    ANT2013taco

ANT2013taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    McAllen Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR 4wd
    Um, no. Do it and you will end up in Prison.

Too many people do stupid things because they don't understand what a laws intention truly is.

15. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Did you not read the actual law directly under that post?

16. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    ANT2013taco

ANT2013taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    McAllen Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR 4wd
    Yes, the law is currently being challenged due to someone shooting an unarmed trespasser. Like I said, too many people do stupid things...
    The way you put it in your post, I could shoot a Girl Scout selling thin mints because I didn't authorize her coming on my property.

aww crap, now I want Thin Mints!

17. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    This is going on pretty big right now in my town. The thieves are usually getting a couple cars a night. Been going on now for a week or two. They still havent made any arrests though.

18. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    I thought that law only works if its dark outside. Being that you can't see if they're caring a weapon or not. But if it dark they're under my truck jump out holding a drill I'm protecting my self, family and property.

19. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I did exaggerate quite a bit my bad. In practice though couldn't you just shoot anyone and claim they ran at you or something if you lived in a more remote area.

20. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    So you have no moral problem with shooting a person stealing gas from a truck? WOW, unbelievable. How do you know they are not stealing gas to sell and get money to feed their starving children? What about the guy who may be an idiot for stealing gas from you, but he happens to have a couple of kids at home with his wife? Got no problem shooting HIM and leaving his kids without a father? Someone needs to do some SERIOUS soul searching, and it ain't me.

I have had stuff stolen from me PLENTY of times in my life. Any yeah, it sucks to have to work hard for something to only get it stolen later on. BUT That still does not give me the right to shoot someone over a piece of property! How do you know he doesn't have a couple of buddies around the corner with guns? You shoot him, they shoot you and leave your kids fatherless. Sure, the kids will grow up with such pride over their brave father...their brave DEAD father. So in your words, go preach YOUR shit somewhere else, or deal with people who have an opinion other than yours. Or is THAT something you want to shoot someone over as well? Jesus I better get off here before I say something that I will regret, or at a minimum get me banned. JESUS the mentality of people in our country.

Products Discussed in

To Top