Notices

Major mods this summer; advice?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
RedandBlack is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
RedandBlack's Tacoma Gallery
Major mods this summer; advice?

Some I'm looking to do some big additions to my taco this summer. All I have planned is I want to add a Procomp or Fabtech 3" body lift, put on some mud tires ( preferably nitto trail grapplers), a badass satoshi from Homertaco, a K&N cold air intake, and finally a american thunder duel exhaust. And I'm just curious how to best approach those things. For example what all should i get to do the lift? I just feel like I'm missing a importantpart to the lift.
so any advie would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't get a body lift... I'd do it right and get a proper suspension lift.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery

Are you dead set on a body lift? Just curious as to why if you are.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Whats the difference between the two? I'm just looking for a 3" lift to fit some offroad tires lol.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandBlack View Post
Whats the difference between the two? I'm just looking for a 3" lift to fit some offroad tires lol.
The difference is form over function and form. The body lift strictly lifts the body higher, everything else stays at the same height. A suspension lift will often improve performance, the suspension will take bigger hits and ride better in many cases. Plus, I do not think body lifts are overly safe.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh okay, for a suspension lift do I need to replace all the suspension?
Do you off road, or tow/haul?

Cheapest option is blocks and top plate spacers but not much better than a body lift. Next cheapest and actually a good lift would be Bilstein 5100's for the front and an AAL for the rear. Bilstein 5100's use the stock coils but preload them to gain lift. You can gain up to 2.5" of lift from the Bilstein shocks alone. You could re-use the stock shocks for the rear although aftermarket might ride a bit better but the AAL would give you the lift for the rear.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
so the bilstein 5100 shock absorber? Would this be the right way to go in the front?
And my truck is only rear wheel drive but I would like to offroad with these tires

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1?...qid=1371850033
Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some I'm looking to do some big additions to my taco this summer. All I have planned is I want to add a Procomp or Fabtech 3" body lift, put on some mud tires ( preferably nitto trail grapplers), a badass satoshi from Homertaco, a K&N cold air intake, and finally a american thunder duel exhaust. And I'm just curious how to best approach those things. For example what all should i get to do the lift? I just feel like I'm missing a importantpart to the lift.
so any advie would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Skip the CAI, too. It's worthless.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Just look at one of the site sponsors they can get you on a nice lift kit that will come with all the extra bells bolts and whistle to get you rolling, for what you want it should just be a few hundred dollars. But for what its worth if all you want is bigger mud tires you can just upgrade to 265/70/17 or 265/75/16, based on your wheel size, without spending money on a lift. And its already been said a k and n cold air intake is not worth the money.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so the bilstein 5100 shock absorber? Would this be the right way to go in the front?
And my truck is only rear wheel drive but I would like to offroad with these tires

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1?...qid=1371850033
Yes, the 5100 series shock absorbers.

Here's some other options for you and some good reading material. I would research a lot more before pulling the trigger on anything.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

First, decide how much lift you want and that will narrow down your options. Because you have a Prerunner, you can use spindles to get your lift and retain your factory ride up front, not have to mess with upper control arms and gain 4" of lift up front. For the rear, you can use a simple AAL.

Another option would be the 5100's up front. They work by preloading your OEM coils and give you up to 2.5" of lift (maybe a touch more because Prerunners seem to gain a little more lift than the 4x4s). Because they work by preloading the coils, the ride will be stiffer. Same AAL for the rear.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a PreRunner as well and I just ordered 5100's for the front along with Eibach coils. You can set the 5100's at .85 and the coils lift the truck 1.6" for a total of 2.5". I bought a 1.5" AAL for the rear. It will be level. All for under $500. Find someone to install it for you or do it yourself and you'll be good to go.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivey14 View Post
I'm a PreRunner as well and I just ordered 5100's for the front along with Eibach coils. You can set the 5100's at .85 and the coils lift the truck 1.6" for a total of 2.5". I bought a 1.5" AAL for the rear. It will be level. All for under $500. Find someone to install it for you or do it yourself and you'll be good to go.
So you're going to be running the 5100's with the eibach coils instead of the stock coils?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #18

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Careful with Procomp lift kits, they use a very stiff coil! The difference between 5100's and stock coils and an aftermarket coil is the preload. 5100's give you lift by preloading the stock coil, lift coils are longer to begin with so they don't require the preload to give you lift.

With suspension lifts on a 2nd Gen that near 3", you might find that you'll end up needing new upper control arms to get a decent alignment. 5100's at 2.5 give you about 2.5" of lift and there are many members with that amount of lift that are still using stock control arms. At 3", you will be hard pressed to get a decent alignment. Aftermarket UCA's are in the upper $300's. That was one of the reasons I mentioned spindle lifts. They retain the stock suspension geometry so new control arms are not needed, stock ride is maintained and lift is achieved.

If you do go with a full coilover kit, check out the Old Man Emu kit from either Toytec or Downsouth Motorsports (make sure you mention you found them through TW if you order through them). OME has a lower spring rate so it'll be closer to a stock ride. OME coils can be mounted on Bilstein 5100's or OME Nitrocharger shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...cks_p_132.html how about that? without the diff drop... the diff drop is pointless on 2nd gens
If you're trying to get to 3" of lift, I'd go OME over the Eibach kit. OME 885 coils with the short top plates get you to 3" without preloading the coils. Eibachs are a stiffer coil to begin with and require you to preload them to get the same lift.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
So I should get the OME from ToyTec if I'm looking for the full coilover kit, And if not I should just get the 5100 front shock absorbers and a AAL pack from Toytec otherwise? Sorry I just wanna make sure I get this right.
http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...kit_p_231.html
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
I actually think I'm going to go with the full coilover kit, If i get the full three inch lift will I have to get new upper control arms?

Products Discussed in this Thread