1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid Dipstick. It's long. TWSS

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jcayce, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Jun 22, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    jcayce

jcayce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    So I'm down for my oil change last night and brilliant me decided to do it at the same time I'm tearing down the front shock on my Klein Attitude. I fubar'd the front wiper seals like nobody's business and decide to save face and cool off by finishing the oil change. Drain old oil, check. Change filter, check. Fill with 5.5 quarts of Mobil One, check. Close Fumoto valve, uncheck.

I caught it as the first quart was draining. Then I started to do some scientific calculations in my head. The oil filler neck is much bigger than the Fumoto valve and I caught it on the first quart just as it was emptying, I must have only lost 1/2 quart as it travelled down to the oil pan. So I'll just add the extra 1/2 quart, right?

Double check everything and make sure it is buttoned up. Drain old oil back into 5 quart jug and it overfills it plus a little extra (those 5 quart jugs are never filled to the top anyways) so I'm feeling good about my 'calculations'. I go to check the dipstick (something I admittedly never really do since I ALWAYS put in 5.5 and it IS a Toyota) and there is no way to read anything! Oil smeared on both sides no matter what combination of in and out or wiping I do. Bent rods briefly swirl through my head. I grab the keys to the wife's car and almost make it out of the garage on my way to pick up more oil thinking I'll just drain it again and refill for piece of mind.

Finally I say f*** it, I'll check it in the morning, oil should have settled by then. Get up this morning. Check the dipstick. Oil smeared all up and down both sides. I decide to experiment with what the dipstick looks like if I drain a little from the valve. Seems to be lowering a little. I have officially pulled the dipstick out enough times to make up for all the other times I have never checked and I am now questioning the life cycle of the o-ring near the pull. Also, as I am now an expert on dipstick readings, I have figured out that dimples facing the firewall give the most accurate reading. By this time I have drained 3/4 quart and notice the dipstick may or may not be just above the top dimple.

I feel safe enough to finally start the truck. It runs! I let it idle for a few minutes then shut it down so I can check the dipstick another 50 times. About 15 minutes later I get a decent reading and it is 3/4 of the way to the top dimple. I guess some stayed in the filter? So I add a little and walk away.

2. Jun 22, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Get a 1/16 drill bit, and drill 4 holes in the dip stick between the low, and full lines. Then, when you check, you just see what holes have oil in them.

3. Jun 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    Since you hadn't started the engine, oil filter would have been empty, which would have accounted for some of the oil. What I do is remove the dipstick when I begin draining the old oil. This allows the oil dipstick tube to drain a little better. Also I put in 5 quarts, new filter (with gasket lubricated), drive a mile or so, come home, remove dipstick, let it sit for 30 minutes. Then check the dipstick, and add enough oil to the full mark.

Products Discussed in

To Top