1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ken08Taco, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Jun 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Ken08Taco

Ken08Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I had the 2008 Taco in to the stealer today as I had some uneven wear on the outside edge of the passenger side rotor that was causing some pulsation and tons of black brake dust on the wheels. They needed to resurface that rotor ($109 - yes, unbelievable, I know) but also stated my pads on that side were "seized" and needed changed along with everything greased. I declined as I have a set of Akebono's at home I was going to change out anyway.

My question is what exactly is a "seized" brake pad? The pads obviously work correctly as the truck stops without pulling to that side or chattering. I think it was nothing but an attempt by the stealership to screw me out of my hard earned cabbage!

Secondly, I am going to pick up a set of rotors from Rock Auto for down the line. What is everyone's opinion on the best available over there?? I do not want any of the slotted types rotors so I'm looking for thoughts on the solid vented types. No economy rotors either. I was thinking the Beck/Arnley's for $58 each. Thoughts?

Thanks guys and gals!

2. Jun 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    While it's true that the ends of a brake pad can stick (where they slide back & forth in the caliper) they generally won't groove a rotor unless it's the caliper itself that seized up. I think maybe they were trying for a few more of your $...
    Rotor wise, I've learned over the years that OEM are the only ones that will last for a long time without going out of round, but maybe the higher $ ones on Rockauto will provide trouble free service, especially if by some miracle they're made in USA

3. Jun 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Ken08Taco

Ken08Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Any idea who makes the OEM rotors?

4. Jun 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    I bought a set of brembo solids for my 1st gen. 84 shipped to my door.

Products Discussed in

To Top