Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't Decide

Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Efren R is on a distinguished road
Efren R's Tacoma Gallery
Can't Decide

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum looking to buy a new Tacoma but I can't make up my mind about what model I want to buy. Im stuck between one of the three: - SR5 long bed - TRD Sport long bed -TRd Off Road (all three models 4x4. What are some of the major differences between the three? I need my truck to be able to haul and at the same time be able to go off - roading (Baja / Trails) please help with your opinions.
Thank You
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!
SR5- reasonably capable & way cheaper to get into if you want to modify anyway.
Off Road, most capable out of the box for doing things off the road.
Sport, the best looking IMO but slightly lacking in stock form for adventures off the road.
From what I understand, SR5 seats are not as comfortable... but that may be a matter of opinion
Old 06-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
If i had to do it all over again id get a sr5 4x4 then with money saved upgrade with a mild lift and wheel/tire combo. Right now i have a trd sport double cab short bed 4x4. Having a trd package from the factory if the time ever comes to resell or trade in. Also if you like the trd sport just for looks you can color match or plasti dip your chrome bumpers later on, plus scooped hoods are always for sale on here.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Base PreRunner because I didn't care for the price of the aesthetics that the SR5 cost. I didn't need TRD because I knew I would toss the suspension for something better down the road. Not to mention, I love the black bumpers and fender flares. The only thing I reget is not getting 4x4. When it's all said and done the cost of SR5 really isn't worth the money and TRD is a bunch of suspension stuff that you will most likely replace.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
I'm A Grinder
pivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura aboutpivey14 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Patrick
pivey14's Tacoma Gallery
Also, since you want a long bed I recommend getting a tool box because I think they look oddly long without it. Just my 2 cents. GLWP(urchase)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHPLSH3 View Post
Welcome!
SR5- reasonably capable & way cheaper to get into if you want to modify anyway.
Off Road, most capable out of the box for doing things off the road.
Sport, the best looking IMO but slightly lacking in stock form for adventures off the road.
From what I understand, SR5 seats are not as comfortable... but that may be a matter of opinion
x2

But, I would get the TRD Off Road 4x4

That rear locker is handy to have and you can always buy a scooped hood or maybe even get lucky and swap with someone (like I did)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
12 TRD OffRoad is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
12 TRD OffRoad's Tacoma Gallery
In my area 4x4 Tacomas are hard to fine on dealers lots but you see them riding around. Lots of Prerunners too. I would have been happy with an SR5 but it just so happened the Toyota dealer had an off-road double cab 4x4 in a color I could live with (silver). I knew if I didn't jump on it someone else would. Who knows when the next 4x4 would come in. One thing I will say I like about the TRD packages over the sr5 is the seats.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
x2

But, I would get the TRD Off Road 4x4

That rear locker is handy to have and you can always buy a scooped hood or maybe even get lucky and swap with someone (like I did)
^This^
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Either you need a long bed or you don't.

What do you plan on putting in the bed? Are you going to use it for work? Play? The sport had a little stiffer rear springs than the OR model.

You generally don't really need a locker unless you are doing hard core 4wheeling. You would be surprised what you can do without one.

I needed lots of space and room to I got the DCLB. And love it.