Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonnopro hard fold vs extang solid fold (on the fence)

Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
peto48 will become famous soon enough

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
Tonnopro hard fold vs extang solid fold (on the fence)

I would like opinions from people that own these two specific covers. I had a tonnopro soft trifold in the past and had no qualms, but am looking to get a hard fold. I have seen reviews praising the extant and one saying stay away, it seems 50-50. And tonnopro hard fold reviews and experiences have been scarce. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery

I like the flip top. You can just open part of it if you need to.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jason
jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Love my extang. Works its rails and takes 5 minutes to remove by myself.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...ths-later.html
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by peto48 View Post
I like that look, but it is more important to me that it works with the existing rail kit and it is easy on easy off.
Yes it works with the existing rail. Two big hand nut to remove it if you like.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
kidder is on a distinguished road
kidder's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the Tonnopro Hardfold for my '05 Tacoma with the 5' bed. The cover is 5'x5' and fits over the top. It has a gap on the cab side, and at the tailgate. The front gap is 1/2" to 3/4" and I mostly filled that with the free bonus weather stripping that came with my tonneau(1/4" cap at the corners now, a second layer of weather stripping would solve this).

The tailgate gap is another story. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the gap there. It is probably wider than the front gap was. I dont want to stick weather stripping on the top of my tailgate. I've sent 3 messages to Tonnopro via email and their contact form, I have not called them yet, but they have not responded yet to email. I do plan to phone them about it, but headed to vacation, so it will have to wait.

I like the look of the Hardfold, i like that it has vinyl over the hard panels and feel like that will keep the folding seams for leaking, but the cab-side and tailgate gaps are really bad. I wish I could have found more reviews about the fit on the 05+ tacomas before I had purchased it, i would have paid more for a good seal.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #8

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
You hit the nail on the head with the two issues I am currently grappling with. I have seen the nightmarish YouTube videos of the extang solid fold leaking right in the middle of the cover where the folding seams are which is unacceptable (I can deal with some seeping in through the edges along the outside, but raining down in the middle of the truck bed doesn't fly). But I have also heard about people with them that have no problems. I also like the look of the extang solid fold. I figured the full vinyl coverage would solve the problem of worrying about leaks in the middle of the cover, but I heard about fitment issues with the tonnopro.

So I would like to continue to hear from people that have these 2 covers and their experiences with them.

Kidder, keep me informed if you ever get in touch with tonnopro.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidder View Post
I just got the Tonnopro Hardfold for my '05 Tacoma with the 5' bed. The cover is 5'x5' and fits over the top. It has a gap on the cab side, and at the tailgate. The front gap is 1/2" to 3/4" and I mostly filled that with the free bonus weather stripping that came with my tonneau(1/4" cap at the corners now, a second layer of weather stripping would solve this).

The tailgate gap is another story. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the gap there. It is probably wider than the front gap was. I dont want to stick weather stripping on the top of my tailgate. I've sent 3 messages to Tonnopro via email and their contact form, I have not called them yet, but they have not responded yet to email. I do plan to phone them about it, but headed to vacation, so it will have to wait.

I like the look of the Hardfold, i like that it has vinyl over the hard panels and feel like that will keep the folding seams for leaking, but the cab-side and tailgate gaps are really bad. I wish I could have found more reviews about the fit on the 05+ tacomas before I had purchased it, i would have paid more for a good seal.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #9

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
I saw on you link you gave me, it says you are having leak issues. Can you expand upon this. Where? How bad?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
Love my extang. Works its rails and takes 5 minutes to remove by myself.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...ths-later.html
Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
blissfully biased
jparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to beholdjparf is a splendid one to behold

jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I saw on you link you gave me, it says you are having leak issues. Can you expand upon this. Where? How bad?

Thanks
In the back corners near the cab.

I actually contacted them this week about it and they're sending me a new cover. Awesome customer service. Hopefully the new one won't leak.

The link i posted said the other guy added some weather stripping to get his to stop. I didn't want to do that but will if the new one leaks.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #11

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparf View Post
In the back corners near the cab.

I actually contacted them this week about it and they're sending me a new cover. Awesome customer service. Hopefully the new one won't leak.

The link i posted said the other guy added some weather stripping to get his to stop. I didn't want to do that but will if the new one leaks.
So you had no problems with the seams between the panels that run across the truck? I am most nervous about that.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Not sure folks are installing the extang right. 11 months and no issues; even when washing.
Having owned one, What do you think people are doing wrong to cause seam leaks across the middle?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
krob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrob32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Kelly
krob32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Having owned one, What do you think people are doing wrong to cause seam leaks across the middle?
Used 10 washers (5 cent each) on each of the front clamps. Washed it last week with high pressure wand and had a couple of very small trickles down the side. Nothing got wet.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
blissfully biased

jparf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So you had no problems with the seams between the panels that run across the truck? I am most nervous about that.
Best I can tell only the back leaks. I'm going to try the washer trick next. Maybe it's not on tight enough.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Extang Solid Fold. I think it's the only one with metal hinges instead of vinyl. Major leaks happen only around the tailgate, because the tailgate lacks a seal around it. Easily remedied with an add-on seal, costs about $20: http://www.truckalterations.com/html/toyotanation.html

Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
fou will become famous soon enoughfou will become famous soon enough
fou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I have an Extang Solid Fold. I think it's the only one with metal hinges instead of vinyl. Major leaks happen only around the tailgate, because the tailgate lacks a seal around it. Easily remedied with an add-on seal, costs about $20: http://www.truckalterations.com/html/toyotanation.html

I have the Extang Solid Fold and have been getting water leaks around the fold/seal that is closest to the cab. It is enough that I wouldn't put something expensive in the bed that could get messed up.

When I look in the side and rear mirrors, I can see a slight bow in the cover. It looks like the part of the cover where the front clamps are is tight and the rest is a bit elevated. I loosened the front clamps yesterday thinking that maybe I had them too tight and that was causing the problem. The next time it rains, I'll see if that helps at all.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #19

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fou View Post
I have the Extang Solid Fold and have been getting water leaks around the fold/seal that is closest to the cab. It is enough that I wouldn't put something expensive in the bed that could get messed up.

When I look in the side and rear mirrors, I can see a slight bow in the cover. It looks like the part of the cover where the front clamps are is tight and the rest is a bit elevated. I loosened the front clamps yesterday thinking that maybe I had them too tight and that was causing the problem. The next time it rains, I'll see if that helps at all.
Great, let me know. I really like the look of this cover over the tonno pro, but functionality is most important especially across the folds. Edges are one thing but things in the middle of the truck getting wet is unacceptable. I currently have the tonnopro soft fold and have no problems, just would like a hard top solution.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #20

peto48's Tacoma Gallery
I am interested in possibly getting the fibermax version of this. Shot you a PM with a couple of questions. Any help is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPROMAN View Post
Yes it works with the existing rail. Two big hand nut to remove it if you like.