1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GS3 usb connection

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dudeabides, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Jun 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    dudeabides

dudeabides [OP] New Member

Member:
    Music City USA
    Vehicle:
    13 prerunner
    Just got a new 2013 tacoma without entune. When I plug in my Galaxy S3 with usb nothing happens. The phone does charge but thats it. And when I connect to Bluetooth I cant change the album through the head unit. Anyone have a galaxy S3 hooked to a 2013 tacoma and able to use all the functions?

2. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    If it's anything like my FR-S the BeSpoke Stereo (Scion Stereo) only recognizes the Iphone and not Android devices at this time. Mine does the same thing when I plug it in. Charges but no music. I can play music, Pandoria, IHeart Radio etc... over bluetooth but have to play it directly from my phone and not the on screen apps. Hopefully they will add Android support in the future.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    Have you gone in to look at the settings? The salesman set up mine -iPhone- so I really wasn't paying much attention to the options. I'm wondering if there are more things that need to be set for you in bluetooth.

4. Jun 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    WhiteNemesis

WhiteNemesis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr PattyCakes
    T-Town, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Cant get enough
    Blow it through the roof
    It is annoying, only real iphone support. USB can control iphone nusic but not android. and bluetooth displays album and song info from iphone but not android. anything android have to use phone. Hope an update gets released or something

5. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Ampo

Ampo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 SR5 4x4
    I had the GS3 and the dealer couldn't set it up but I got it to work after some tinkering. I think I had to start the music player on my phone first before I could begin using the controls on the steering wheel. After that my truck automatically picked up the phone/music player via Bluetooth and it worked great from that point on. Also, both the song ,artist were displayed on the phone screen and on the truck dash unit, not all songs mind you but that depends on the download I think.

I have the HTC ONE now and it was easier than the GS3 to set up, it worked right away straight out of the box. I don't think the USB was meant to connect your phone to the audio system of the truck, that's what Bluetooth is for. I guess I could charge the phone with USB but I already have a charger in my truck so I never use USB.
    Are you able to "pair" your GS3 okay? If so, put the truck stereo on "aux" and try starting the player on your phone, I only had to do this the first time, once the audio player was recognized I could start the player from the trucks controls. If I remember correctly you also have to "pair audio player" as well, use the same steps as pairing the phones hands free calling.

I wish I could remember more precisely what steps I took to get it working, all I know is once it was up and going I had no problems with it after that for both the hands free calling or audio player. Good luck, hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  6. Jun 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    WhiteNemesis

WhiteNemesis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr PattyCakes
    T-Town, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Cant get enough
    Blow it through the roof
    Wait, you had a gs3, paired with bt, and it displayed song info in the head unit? mine only shows gs3... i need to figure that one out. any specific player? I cant get pandora to display over bt

7. Jun 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Pandora will NOT display on the display. In my FR-S (and since it is Toyota I assume it is the same in the Tacoma) I can get it to display song info every once in a while although it is always "Pearl Jam" "Of the Girl" no matter what song is playing. Android devices are not supported at this time. I hope they will have a update soon though. I have a Galaxy Note II and my wife has a GS4.

8. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    Ampo

Ampo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 SR5 4x4
    I didn't try anything but the music already loaded onto my phone using the phones music player.

9. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    The Google music app will display song info on the head unit from my GS3.

10. Jun 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    dudeabides

dudeabides [OP] New Member

Member:
    Music City USA
    Vehicle:
    13 prerunner
    Thanks for all the input. I can get my phone to connect through BT but I cannot change albums or artists. I can only change the track up or down. If I want to listen to a new artist I have to change it on the phone which defeats the purpose. The radio does display the song but there is not a button to change anything. The solution I found was to load a ton of music onto a small USB drive and leave it plugged in to the USB slot. Now I dont have to worry about the BT draining the battery on my phone and when I want to make a call I do it the old fashioned way and use speaker phone.

11. Jun 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    parboy

parboy FORE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sherwood, AR
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD sport, Tow and Entune
    Tonnopro tonneau cover, Weathertech digital fit mats, Magnaflow 18" muffler with black exhaust tip, blacked out badges/emblems, Passport 9500ix, Pop & Lock PL8521, EZdown tailgate mod, 17" KMC XD addicts, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, OME 884 springs, Bilstein 5100's at zero, BHLM, FX-R retrofit, 80mm and 110mm morimoto rgb halo's with Bluetooth control, Raptor style led's in grill, LED's for dome, maps, reverse, license plate, parking lights, switchback DTRL's, ultra-gauge, Kenwood DNX690HD, Hertz HDP4, Hertz HSK165's, Memphis 12" in custom box, Black/Grey Roadwire leather kit with seat heaters, cool white interior led's from oznium.com, 20" AVEC dual row light bar in lower bumper, 19" AVEC single row light bar in grill,
    Try this to change album/artist: hold down the up/down arrow on the steering wheel control.

12. Jun 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

Once again.... This radio along with the one in my FR-S does NOT support Android devices at this time through USB and very limited options through BT. I can make and receive calls and play music with BT but to do anything with music I can view random artist info and the pandora app on the radio doesn't work at all. I have to control pandora through my phone itself.

As of now... It only supports Apple products at this time which leaves you with either the option of doing what you described above, buying a Iphone, or a Ipod Touch. Those are your only options until they come out with upgraded firmware. I am in the same boat as you.

Fuck Apple btw..... but that's for another discussion

13. Jun 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    Ampo

Ampo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 SR5 4x4
    Yes, that's right! I did this the other day by mistake, thought I was holding down the+/- volume toggle but it was the up/down instead. I heard a beep and then I was on the first album on my phone music player.

Products Discussed in

To Top