Notices

Blower motor squeek / chirp on low *FIX*

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1061
1YOTA6
1YOTA6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
1YOTA6's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same thing when i actually bought my truck and was lucky enough to get it covered under warrantee.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #1062
JimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to all
Name: Jim
JimT's Tacoma Gallery
My reviewer nickname on Amazon is Hoosier99.

I always look for trends when I read reviews on things and "smells like it's burning" is a trend for the TYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACK View Post
Holy crap, that was you? I read your review just a few days ago. It kept me from buying that motor.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #1063
JimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to allJimT is a name known to all
JimT's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry if I came across rough. I'm wound a bit tight lately.

Mainly I want to get the message out that the TYC blower is a piece of crap.

In the past couple pages we've had owners of the 043 motor report chirping. I'm not ordering one.

May I rant for a minute? Thanks.

I've had so many stupid little problems with this truck.
-Delivered from the dealer with scratched/scuffed dashboard components, missing childseat latch covers, scratched ceiling console

-Dealer ordered wrong parts to fix, didn't order parts for months, lied to me over the phone about ordering parts, installed wrong parts, received another scratched ceiling console. Whined about it costing $700 when I told him to order a third one.

-Rivet head broke loose in dash causing a metal part sliding sound every time I turned. Neanderthals in the service dept disassembled my entire dash down to the metal to find it. When they reassembled it they F'ed up my airbag system, F'ed up my "key in ignition door chime", put my cabin air filter in upside down and sideways, made lots of nice little scratches on my dashboard from prying it apart, cut my steering wheel, stained my seat, crushed my $150 sunglasses which were in the ceiling console (why did you even take them out you assholes? you weren't working on my ceiling console this trip!), installed the center console cargo net UNDER the center console.

-The front edge of my serpentine belt peeled off on its own one day, wrapping around the fan shaft. Service monkey said: "that's a wear item, not under warranty. Where'd you buy the truck?" I bought it here brand new!!! "Oh ok, we'll replace that." They replaced it and left my battery cable loose so my truck wouldn't start at work the next week.

-While it was still under warranty I specifically asked them to look for any relevant TSB's. They told me there were no TSB's. Once I'm out of warranty I learn about leaf springs, fans, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Royal Toyota South's entire service department (Bloomington, IN) can burn in hell for all I care. And no, I don't believe the salesman, or the finance guy, or anyone else who tells me that they've improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugelhornjazz View Post
JimT, man I get your frustration. Several of us have installed the Toyota 04043 replacement for the original 04040...great luck so far, much better than TYC or Rockauto...I get NO noise/squeak at all, even on the low fan setting. Check my earlier post, I gave the link for the Yoda 04043 assembly at $108.00 Hang in there wild man.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #1065
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
The anit-sieze lasted all of one day. May work for others, but not myself. It was actually louder than before I did it. Quiet loud even on the 3rd setting.

I took apart again, for the third time, cleaned it up again and put grease on it like the original post says. So far so good. Hopefully it stays. You would think that Toyota would take care of this issue after so many problems with a blower motor.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #1066
JimT's Tacoma Gallery
Wife's gonna pick up some copper anti-seize for me today. Not Loctite, whatever brand O'Reilly's has.

If I drop the cash on a new 043 and install it myself, will it be covered by a Toyota warranty? Who will replace it for me if/when it starts chirping? Toyota? The selling dealer? Dealership? (pfft, yeah right)
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #1067
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
Figured I'd throw my hat into the ring here. I had the -043 motor installed to fix the chirping. The new motor now ticks like crazy.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #1068
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
took mine in yesterday for the 10k service and to check out the chirp. told needed to be diagnosed by a tech before they replaced it. on the way in, i couldn't get the chirp to sound, thus thinkin they may not do it. the service manager was cool though, and loved what i had done to my truck, so when i picked it up, he stated they didn't hear a chirp either, but replaced it anyway (#87103-04043)
Nearly one year later, this motor is still silent. maybe i'm lucky..............
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #1069
Cbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCbass38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sebastian
Cbass38's Tacoma Gallery
i did this for a diff member a few weeks ago. its simple and is the real fix. the top bearing ends up getting all thir brown dust that makes it squeaky when the bearing dries up. simple fix.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #1070
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #1071
ghetto waggon is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
ghetto waggon's Tacoma Gallery
Big thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with this. I have a 2011 DC & had a hell of a time getting two dealers to cooperate. Both said they were not able to reproduce the symptoms and that "I was just hearing things".

Finally, I went to a third dealer, parked there at 5am, let the truck cool completely, and had the blower motor changed out within an hour.

Crossing my fingers that the new part works long term!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #1072
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Call me crazy. I changed the cabin air filter and it went away in ten minutes. I must be crazy because it fluttered for about 5k miles.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #1073
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyprat View Post
The fan on my truck was replaced twice. It makes the same noise again. What a shitty design and quality.
So I gave up on replacing it and decided to fix it myself. Here is what I did so far:
- Drilled a small hole on top of the fan blade. This gives me access to the top bearing without removing the fan blades and possibly breaking it. Lubed the top bearing with penetrating lubricant. This procedure made no difference. Noise can be heard when turning the fan by hand.
-Removed the bottom cover and applied small amount of penetrating oil to the bottom bearing. No difference, still making noise. Note: Penetrating oil is not the best lubricant but it helps isolate the problem.
The noise clearly comes from the commutator/ brush assembly.
-Removed the bottom metal cover held by two screws (careful not to break the brushes, don't force it).
Commutator and brushes assembly can be accessed without removing the fan blades.
Thoroughly polished the commutator with emery cloth. Also used a small piece of emery cloth to slightly clean the brushes (the sides that slide on the commutator. Chamfered the edges slightly with the same emery cloth.
- Reassembled the motor. Brushes assembly should be removed from the bottom metal cover first. Note which side is up. Then carefully push the brushes in and slide the assembly over the bottom bearing shaft seal and into it's place over the commutator. Make sure not it's not upside-down. Apply small amount of light bearing grease to the bottom bearing (Don't use molly grease). Install the bottom metal cover and tighten two small bolts that hold it in place. Make sure the bolts are tight and the cover is properly centered.
-Reinstall bottom plastic cover. Install the blower motor back into your truck.

So far it's been quiet. Do this at your own risk. No need to drill a small hole in the fan blades. I did this for troubleshooting purposes.
Go buy an Xbox 360. And then buy a second one. You'd be more pissed lol
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #1074
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever have their actual actuator from switching from cold to warm start clicking as if it was stuck once left on warm? Mines doing that
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #1075
FARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud ofFARNORCAL has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK
Name: Ryan
FARNORCAL's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips guys and gals fix mine a couple days ago. The grease i used stunk up my truck for a couple days but that smell is going away.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #1076
teamCeltics
derekjames9 is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
derekjames9's Tacoma Gallery
thank you!!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #1077
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
did mine today finally, Ive been just to lazy for the last year

I just cleaned well, and used some 5-30 used oil on two sleeve's and BAM no squeak. BUT...... maybe i didnt seat the fan all the way level, because their is a slight buzz/rattle. Never noticed it before, but the chirp could have masked it.Not noticeable when driving, only when parked at an idle. So, i guess i need to pull it apart to see.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #1078
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
I got my truck a week ago and this has been driving me insane. Looks like this will be the first project on my truck.

I hope it works.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #1079
So Cal Edition
SWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shedSWCCBEE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Name: Greg
SWCCBEE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post
I had the same thing when i actually bought my truck and was lucky enough to get it covered under warrantee.
I have a 2010 that my dealer said still has the original 60000 warranty. Would that cover?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #1080
Tacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud of

Army: 14J, 3rd ID
Name: Kessler
Tacoma VT's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I bought my 2010 months back and went back to the dealer within two weeks. They convered it without a question. Its a common problem.

Products Discussed in this Thread