Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blower motor squeek / chirp on low *FIX*

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
ballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant future
ballon78's Tacoma Gallery
Blower motor squeek / chirp on low *FIX*

Took the blower motor out of my 06, disasembled the entire thing, cleaned with electrical cleaner, regreased all plain bearings and motor is better than new. The top bearing is a oil inpregnated brass bearing and it was dry, thats where the chirp comes from. Did lots of research and found some other fixed but, those just masked the noise for a little bit. The motor come all apart fairly easy. I took pics and will post up how to do it tonight. Lots of people have had these replaced under warrentee just to have them start chirping a month down the road. What really needs to be done is just diasemble and grease and its fixed.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Cant wait to see the pics. I have thought the same thing, but others have said it was an issue of the motor being un ballanced.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
That's good to hear, or to not hear anymore.....ha ha ha. Sorry, I couldn't resist a bad joke. I've been thinking about taking the damn thing apart to see what it looked like in there, but you beat me to it. I can't wait to see the pictures. BTW what type of oil/grease did you use to lube the bearings?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
ballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant future
I used BelraySyn, waterproof wheel bearing grease, its clear high end motorcycle/sled/Watercraft grease, i use it on everything, something thick to stay there longer is what i would recomend and good at low temps. just not something that is dark in color, like cheap wheel bearing grease may be messy
Old 02-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Please post pics..mine is doing this, and I would love to see how its done..drives me insane..
Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
here are some, ill post more and how to do it, just dont have time right now!! thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
srcuvm02 is on a distinguished road
srcuvm02's Tacoma Gallery
YESSSSS!!!!!!

FINALLY! NO SQUEAK!!!

Only thing to remember if you do this, when taking the motor apart, the magnets seat on the motor with springs. Be careful taking it apart! Mine popped apart, springs went flying...

Did find one, never found the other! But, had my leatherman and a 'clicky' ball point pen in the truck, worked like a charm! (the pen has seen better days, though)
Old 12-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all
14U2NV's Tacoma Gallery
This is GREAT info! I will have to pull the motor out during this holiday vacation and fix mine. That squealing motor was driving me crazy.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
mine is squeaking now since it got cold....excellent
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, serious design FAIL. That motor should have bearings at each end.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! I was going to take mine apart this weekend to re-balance as indicated in the TN article but I'll do this at the same time.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
timmaayyy is on a distinguished road

Name: tim duh...
timmaayyy's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have pics or a write up of how to access/remove the motor?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
mountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant future
mountain lion's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...14#post2143214 That's how to remove it.

Question: Does just the top bearing where the motor housing cap goes on just need the grease or did the shaft/bearings under the plastic fan blade enclosure also need it? Don't want to take more apart than I actually need to...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #15
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
how'd you seperate that coil assembly from the fins?

I'm stuck on that part.

PS, and wtf is all that dusting crap? Rust/metal flakes?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #16
mountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant future
mountain lion's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you need to separate that part...I used CRC Maf sensor/electronic cleaner on the part you have open and the top of the motor housing and the tick hasn't come back in a while...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain lion View Post
I don't think you need to separate that part...I used CRC Maf sensor/electronic cleaner on the part you have open and the top of the motor housing and the tick hasn't come back in a while...
Well I hope you're right. I actually want to clean the fin housing too, because the blades on mine are super dirty. I cleaned what I could with q-tips. Only had Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease. Hopefully that's good enough.

Time to install it back in. Here goes nothing.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
back. Welp, no more crickets, but now I got a ticking/fluttering sound instead.
*sigh*
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #19
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the report and pics ....I'm on my second fan motor and the problem persists.I'm going to try this fix.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain lion View Post
thats the most important part, the fan fins are just press on...if you use two pry bars/screw drivers the fan fins wil wiggle slide off, they are on there tight. once thats off you need to lube the plain bearing with grease, something that will stick.

Products Discussed in this Thread