Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

AC/Heater fan stopped working

Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Name: Dave
bkrdave36's Tacoma Gallery
AC/Heater fan stopped working

I'm sure this has been covered in a previous post that I can't find....

I know my AC is working because at freeway speed I can feel the cold air coming through the vents. The problem is the blower fan stopped working.

Is there a fuse I should check, or is it the switch on the dash, or could it be the blower and or motor itself? How do I go about checking? I saw a post about a resistor but that seemed to be only when your fan worked on High. Mine is not blowing at any speed.

Need to know ASAP. It was 105 today and will be upwards of 115 by Saturday.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the owners manual? it should give fuse location.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
hit the blower motor....
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
bkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to allbkrdave36 is a name known to all

Cabin filter is clean, nothing blocking air flow.
I pulled the resistor and it looked ok.
The connector to the blower motor looks a little "crispy" at one of the connectors.... but I have power (about 12.5vdc) at the connector on the blower side of the connector.
The brushes,etc look ok (not burned or dirty) in the blower motor.

I could not check the relay as I do not know what it looks like nor could I find it. Unless its under the hood?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post
The connector to the blower motor looks a little "crispy" at one of the connectors.... but I have power (about 12.5vdc) at the connector on the blower side of the connector.

I could not check the relay as I do not know what it looks like nor could I find it. Unless its under the hood?
you have power and ground at the motor?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #6

I used my multitester and stuck one lead in one side of the plug and the other lead into the other side of the plug and got a reading of about 12.5 vdc. Not sure where a "ground" for the motor would be as no other wires were present.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Irchr is on a distinguished road
Irchr's Tacoma Gallery
exact same thing happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprice66 View Post
My fan quit working last year after my truck sat for awhile. If I bumped the fan from the bottom it would turn up and keep turning ... made some noise but I don't hear that well so my wife noticed the sound. After looking on TW for advice, I found that a field mouse family had made a nest in the fan. There was so much junk in there I had to remove the fan and vacuum from the bottom, change cabin filter, and then I installed the screen over the large hole in the cowl area above the cabin filter. No problems since.

I would pull out the cabin air filter first to check for debris below it in the fan. No fuse ever blew even with the fan switch on low-to-high even though the fan wouldn't turn. Not saying that the fuse could be the problem
Yes the same thing happened to me. I had tons of acorns inside the fan. I had to vaccum them out, but every once in a while something disloges and I get some trash floating around. IT was a mess and I too blocked the opening, but it sure was a mess. for a while.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Irchr is on a distinguished road
Irchr's Tacoma Gallery
same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrdave36 View Post

One contact on the connector is defective and looks like it got too hot. The worst part is that you can't just replace any part of it, they want to replace the whole harness. I went to junk yard, and cut the connector off the wreck. Then I spliced it back into my harness and it works just fine now. ALl this over one socket. I see there are too many problems with the fan, I hope they fix it by the new 2014 model. I am anxious to get a new Tacoma, I have almost 200,000 miles on mine now.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #9

I hooked my blower motor straight up to the battery and it works fine, so its not the blower motor. I have a relay coming in tomorrow. At that time I will also check the ground connection and the fuse.

Quote:
One contact on the connector is defective and looks like it got too hot. The worst part is that you can't just replace any part of it, they want to replace the whole harness. I went to junk yard, and cut the connector off the wreck. Then I spliced it back into my harness and it works just fine now.
I may have to do what Irchr did above with the connector as mine is looking a bit questionable on one side as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #10

Well guys .... if this problem happens to you... before shelling out any cash .... go to the junk yard!

I took this fix ...
Quote:
One contact on the connector is defective and looks like it got too hot. The worst part is that you can't just replace any part of it, they want to replace the whole harness. I went to junk yard, and cut the connector off the wreck. Then I spliced it back into my harness and it works just fine now.
... and the problem is solved! Thank god the A/C is blowing cold air again! Because the forecast for tomorrow and beyond is ...

Quote:
Thursday: Sunny and hot. Highs 108 to 113. West wind 5 to 15 mph.

Thursday Night: Clear and warmer. Lows 77 to 87. West wind 5 to 15 mph.

Friday: Sunny and very hot. Highs 113 to 118. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. Warmer. Lows 83 to 93. West wind 10 to 15 mph in the evening becoming east 5 to 10 mph after midnight.

Saturday And Saturday Night: Partly cloudy and very hot. Lows in the lower 80s to lower 90s. Highs 112 to 117.

Sunday And Sunday Night: Partly cloudy and very hot. Lows in the lower 80s to lower 90s. Highs 111 to 116.

Monday Through Wednesday: Partly cloudy and hot. Lows in the lower 80s to lower 90s. Highs 105 to 110.
The moral to this sad story with the incredibly happy ending is as follows....

Always start with the simple crap.

I love cold air coming out of my vents!