Notices

Tacoma Keyless Entry Remote Issues

Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
ShawnH72 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 14 yrs
Name: Shawn
ShawnH72's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Keyless Entry Remote Issues

This is the first thread I have ever started, so please, be gentle.

I am having some issues with my Keyless Entry Remotes (both remotes) for my 2005 Tacoma. Sometimes the unlock/lock buttons just won't work. I have switched out the batteries several times (making sure to use a different brand each time) and I have tried to "reprogram" them both (the reprogram worked, but didn't fix the issue). I have noticed that if they aren't working, if I open up the remote and then close it back, the remote will almost always work right when I push the button, but this fix won't last. I know this doesn't make any sense as to why this would work, but it does almost everytime. I don't even have to remove and reinstall the battery, although I have done that before as well. I have tried finding a solution on the internet, as well as on other threads on here, but no luck. Is there anyone else having an issue like this, and if so, were you able to fix it, and how did you fix it? I'm really hoping one of you out there will know what's causing this, and might be able to provide a solution. My next step is to just buy new remotes, but I would rather not do that just yet. Plus, it doesn't make any sense that both would be dying at the same time. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
It's strange that both remotes have the same symptoms. Even with that it sounds like a bad connection in the remote since opening and closing the case fixes things for a bit. I've never seen the inside of an older one so I don't know what to tell you to look for inside. Do the buttons have little microswitches like my 2012 or does it have the keypad type buttons with circuit traces that might need to be cleaned or repaired?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
My first thought was that something on the receiving end was bad or going bad because both remotes were having problems. Its strange that this would be the case, but its also strange that both your remotes would act this way at the same time.

When they don't work and you have to open and close them, are you standing in the same spot when you hit the button the second time? I'm just thinking maybe the receiver is blocked by something; perhaps something in your truck. And then once you've open and closed the remote, you've walked to a different spot where the receiver in the truck is not blocked. Any recent changes to your truck such as new wiring for an aftermarket accessory? Or wrapping your dash in foil?

I don't know. I'm just trying to think of something else that might explain it. If you know someone that has a Tacoma, you might ask if you can borrow or switch remotes with them for a week. Then, if the problem still happens you'll know its not the remote. And if it doesn't happen, you'll know the remote is the culprit. But I'd start with cleaning out your remote and making sure all the connections are good.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH72 View Post
It has the regular keypad style buttons (2005). Do you know what would be best to clean them with?
I'd open them up and blow out everything with compressed air. Then clean the back of the buttons and the area where they touch the circuit board with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. 90% if you have it. Look at the back of the button that's having trouble and compare it to one that's never used like the panic button. If the conductive surface is worn off you can try to repair it with a special paint from a seller on Ebay. Search for keypad repair paint or similar it's only a few $. Make sure the circuit traces aren't worn badly too.

I've fixed old computer keyboards, remote controls, alarm system keypads, etc. by cleaning many times. There's some Youtube videos out there for cleaning and repairing keypads if you need more guidance.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
wolfgang is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former HCU2 Salvage Diver
wolfgang's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any of those bar code store tags on your keychain? if they are on your key chain take them off. Store scanners will mess up the programing on your remote. Happen to me twice.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
MrRobinson is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Tony
MrRobinson's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation 2 remotes that do not work

Mine quit working this morning. Toyota replaced the battery. No go. My wife had the spare remote and now it doesn't work either. I did notice it quit working this morning. Not sure if this helps but I did switch from 4WDH to 2WDH, turned off the truck, got out, and tried to remotely lock it with no luck. Reprogramming did not work and I do have bar code scanners on my keychain. Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
ShawnH72 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 14 yrs
Name: Shawn
ShawnH72's Tacoma Gallery
First off, thanks for the replies by everyone! I haven't been able to get on here for awhile now, due to some family issues. I am still having issues with both remotes, but I do not have the store bar code scanners on my keychain. I had purchased a couple aftermarkey ones, which I was unable to get programmed. I had performed the programming before with my original remotes, and didn't have any issues with them not programming, so the problem did not appear to be me. I returned them, and they sent out two different ones, but I haven't been able to try and program them yet. I will let you all know if they work or not. I am trying to keep from having to shell out the big bucks to the dealership, but I think I'm running out of options...especially if these new remotes don't work. If anyone has any other thoughts or fixes, please let me know. Thanks!