1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Keyless Entry Remote Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ShawnH72, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Jun 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    ShawnH72

ShawnH72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma
    2.5" spacer lift in front & 2" blocks for the rear, Nitto Terra Grappler's (275 65R/18) & Moto Metal 951 wheels, TRD exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake, Nifty Catch-All Xtreme floor mats, bug shield, window visors, Smittybilt 3-piece billet grill, black N-Fab steps, Sickspeed black billiard style shift knob, black leather shift boot with light gray double stitching, maglight mod on both sides, tailgate lock mod, debadged tailgate (except for Tacoma), black shorty antenna, DashMat black dash cover, Kenwood stereo.
    This is the first thread I have ever started, so please, be gentle. :D

I am having some issues with my Keyless Entry Remotes (both remotes) for my 2005 Tacoma. Sometimes the unlock/lock buttons just won't work. I have switched out the batteries several times (making sure to use a different brand each time) and I have tried to "reprogram" them both (the reprogram worked, but didn't fix the issue). I have noticed that if they aren't working, if I open up the remote and then close it back, the remote will almost always work right when I push the button, but this fix won't last. I know this doesn't make any sense as to why this would work, but it does almost everytime. I don't even have to remove and reinstall the battery, although I have done that before as well. I have tried finding a solution on the internet, as well as on other threads on here, but no luck. Is there anyone else having an issue like this, and if so, were you able to fix it, and how did you fix it? I'm really hoping one of you out there will know what's causing this, and might be able to provide a solution. My next step is to just buy new remotes, but I would rather not do that just yet. Plus, it doesn't make any sense that both would be dying at the same time. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Jun 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    It's strange that both remotes have the same symptoms. Even with that it sounds like a bad connection in the remote since opening and closing the case fixes things for a bit. I've never seen the inside of an older one so I don't know what to tell you to look for inside. Do the buttons have little microswitches like my 2012 or does it have the keypad type buttons with circuit traces that might need to be cleaned or repaired?

3. Jun 29, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    ShawnH72

ShawnH72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma
    2.5" spacer lift in front & 2" blocks for the rear, Nitto Terra Grappler's (275 65R/18) & Moto Metal 951 wheels, TRD exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake, Nifty Catch-All Xtreme floor mats, bug shield, window visors, Smittybilt 3-piece billet grill, black N-Fab steps, Sickspeed black billiard style shift knob, black leather shift boot with light gray double stitching, maglight mod on both sides, tailgate lock mod, debadged tailgate (except for Tacoma), black shorty antenna, DashMat black dash cover, Kenwood stereo.
    It has the regular keypad style buttons (2005). Do you know what would be best to clean them with?

4. Jun 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    My first thought was that something on the receiving end was bad or going bad because both remotes were having problems. Its strange that this would be the case, but its also strange that both your remotes would act this way at the same time.

When they don't work and you have to open and close them, are you standing in the same spot when you hit the button the second time? I'm just thinking maybe the receiver is blocked by something; perhaps something in your truck. And then once you've open and closed the remote, you've walked to a different spot where the receiver in the truck is not blocked. Any recent changes to your truck such as new wiring for an aftermarket accessory? Or wrapping your dash in foil? ;)

I don't know. I'm just trying to think of something else that might explain it. If you know someone that has a Tacoma, you might ask if you can borrow or switch remotes with them for a week. Then, if the problem still happens you'll know its not the remote. And if it doesn't happen, you'll know the remote is the culprit. But I'd start with cleaning out your remote and making sure all the connections are good.

5. Jun 30, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    I'd open them up and blow out everything with compressed air. Then clean the back of the buttons and the area where they touch the circuit board with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. 90% if you have it. Look at the back of the button that's having trouble and compare it to one that's never used like the panic button. If the conductive surface is worn off you can try to repair it with a special paint from a seller on Ebay. Search for keypad repair paint or similar it's only a few $. Make sure the circuit traces aren't worn badly too.

I've fixed old computer keyboards, remote controls, alarm system keypads, etc. by cleaning many times. There's some Youtube videos out there for cleaning and repairing keypads if you need more guidance.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jun 30, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    wolfgang

wolfgang Active Member

Member:
    south USA
    Vehicle:
    12 4 door prerunner
    Air Intake system
    Do you have any of those bar code store tags on your keychain? if they are on your key chain take them off. Store scanners will mess up the programing on your remote. Happen to me twice.

7. Dec 10, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    MrRobinson

MrRobinson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    Mine quit working this morning. Toyota replaced the battery. No go. My wife had the spare remote and now it doesn't work either. I did notice it quit working this morning. Not sure if this helps but I did switch from 4WDH to 2WDH, turned off the truck, got out, and tried to remotely lock it with no luck. Reprogramming did not work and I do have bar code scanners on my keychain. Any thoughts?

8. Mar 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM
    ShawnH72

ShawnH72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma
    First off, thanks for the replies by everyone! I haven't been able to get on here for awhile now, due to some family issues. I am still having issues with both remotes, but I do not have the store bar code scanners on my keychain. I had purchased a couple aftermarkey ones, which I was unable to get programmed. I had performed the programming before with my original remotes, and didn't have any issues with them not programming, so the problem did not appear to be me. I returned them, and they sent out two different ones, but I haven't been able to try and program them yet. I will let you all know if they work or not. I am trying to keep from having to shell out the big bucks to the dealership, but I think I'm running out of options...especially if these new remotes don't work. If anyone has any other thoughts or fixes, please let me know. Thanks!

9. Apr 5, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    cztrisler

cztrisler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Vehicle:
    2008 White Tacoma 4D 2WD PreRunner
    I am having the same type problem. My remote stopped working so I assumed it was the battery. After changing the battery it still will not work. I haven't added any modifications to my truck and I do not have any barcodes on my key chain. I have tried opening it and examining it but everything looks perfectly clean, intact, and fully functioning.

10. Feb 16, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    RezTaco

RezTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Otis
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    None
    Hello Everyone! This is my first time here so let me say that I'm looking forward to this community. I have had the same issues with my keyless entry on my Gen 2 Tacoma. At first I thought that it was the batteries and it worked for a while but then stopped. Then I thought that the programing was messed up on my fobs so I reprogrammed them both and again they worked for a while but stopped working again. It came to the point that I bought two new fobs from the dealer, programed them both and again worked for two weeks then stopped locking and unlocking the doors. Right now I am trying to find out the location of the receiver to pull it out to see if there are any issues there. If there are any tips or suggestions from anyone I would greatly appreciate it.

11. Feb 17, 2020 at 1:51 AM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    Buy a used OEM remote on eBay and reprogram that and all will work. Both my remotes started failing at the same time and new batteries did not help. When you pop them open they are just a small circuit card that gets worn out. I was looking at the main receiver board behind the glove box but that's like $400-700 up and I unplugged the box and nothing worked as expected, then reconnected and same flackly responses on remotes. So for less than $15 try the eBay approach first. Programming instructions come with the remote and everywhere online. Just a point that at the final step if it doesn't beep the correct amount of times to say it took program do it all again and if same result I exited program and it worked anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jan 31, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke
    I tossed the original Toyota key fobs several years ago because they stopped working... or so I thought. I recently bought an after-market fob, and entered "program mode" as shown above - it went into program mode exactly as it should, the 1st time (and every time), and interacted with the new key fob by cycling the lock/unlock twice, which indicates it's NOT working - no idea if it's an issue with the fob (doubt it, since it didn't work with the original fobs, either) or if it's the module (which seems like if it's an issue with the module, it wouldn't interact w/ the fob when I "programmed" it. I'm at a loss and I'm MAD. It's a 17-yr old truck, and if I have to use the key to unlock the truck, fine... worse things to contend with, but c'mon, Toyota!!! Is there an easy way to figure out if it's a bad module?

Products Discussed in

To Top