1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Confused newb needing help with lift/tires

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BuckeyeTacoFL, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jun 30, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    This thread's going pretty much the way these things always do when the subject of rubbing and trimming comes up. "Yes it is." "No it isn't." "Yes it does." "No it doesn't."

Everybody uses their truck differently.

I'm reminded of the installer who wanted to put a lift and tires on my truck. He said something to the effect of "You don't need to cut anything man. Just change your driving a little bit so you're not turning the wheel all the way to the lock."

The other thing is - both the rubbing, and the trimming can be fairly subtle. Rubbing isn't always "What was THAT?!" loud enough to make you drop everything and sh*t your pants. More than one TW member whose truck "never ever rubbed" has been surprised to have another member point out the telltale marks inside the wheelwell. And, trimming is done on parts inside the wheelwell where no one except a mechanic or tacoma enthusiast ever looks.

So: pick your lift.

Put your tires and wheels on. Use a 8" wide rim with 4.5" backspacing (0mm offset)

Get your truck aligned by a tech who is used to working on modified tacomas. (TW members local to you can help out here.)

Drive your truck. If you're not troubled by rubbing - great! If you are - get out your box knife and heat gun and remove/reshape. If necessary, do the cab mount chop.

Here's the MAIN thing: if you run that size tires you MIGHT have to do some trimming. There's no magic formula. Once you're modding it's always "Try. Observe. React. Try again if necessary." If you're willing to adopt that mindset, you'll have less confusion because you give yourself the freedom not to have to get it right the first time.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. Jun 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    BuckeyeTacoFL

BuckeyeTacoFL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Lakeland Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Prerunner
    Thanks once again for the help. I think I'm going to go with the bilsein with eibach and the dakars. Now I just got to make my mind up about tires/rim size. I want the xd series spy wheels. Do t know if I should get 16", 17" or 18" and adjust tire size with whatever rim size I get. Would anyone recommend getting upper control arms?

3. Jun 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    BuckeyeTacoFL

BuckeyeTacoFL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Lakeland Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Prerunner
    ^^^Realized I can't spell worth a crap on my cell phone!

4. Jun 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you want 3 inches of lift in the front (which is what the Eibachs and 5100's set at 0 get you), it would be HIGHLY recommended that you get UCA's, the reason is, past about 2 inches of lift, getting the front wheels aligned properly becomes a big issue and misaligned wheels will trash your expensive tires in a hurry. Now, I have seen with my own eyes, Tacoma DBCB's with 3 inches of lift (on stock UCA's), and no problem with alignment, I am not sure why this is but I suspect that (since), these two trucks I am speaking of had additional amounts of equipment which made them considerably heavier than stock, I suspect this may have something to do with it.
    Since you are going this far, I think you should go a little farther and get UCA's, Light Racing and Total Chaos seem to be the UCA's of choice around here.
    Good luck:)

5. Jun 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Canazes9

Canazes9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 Dbl Cab TRD Sport / '12 Dbl Cab Offroad
    Umm no! Eibachs and 5100's set at 0 will get you about 1.6" of lift, not 3" - about identical to 5100's set at 1.75". Eibachs and 5100's set to 0.85" will give you about 2.5" - that's the way Toytec used to sell them pre-assembled.

Look at the picture I posted earlier in this thread - the OR has Eibachs and 5100's at 0", the Sport has 5100's at 1.75".

No problem w/ alignment w/ stock UCA's on either truck.

I think the Dakkars will give you about 3" lift in the back, but I'm not positive about that. Might want to check in to that, if you were wanting the front to only be lifted ~1.75" the Dakkars may be too much for the back.

David

6. Jun 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    my bad, you're right .85:p

7. Jun 30, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    Blueitrgsr

Blueitrgsr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Gainesville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 Reg Cab 4wd
    Some bilsteins, OME 885's, and an AAL.
    Im one of the guys who did a spacer lift and hated it. 8 months down the road I switched to bilstein 5100's set at 2.5. And did an AAL. Still a budget lift by all means. I've probably got $500 in it total. If even that much. I went from a 265/75/16 to a cooper st Maxx in a 285/75/16 on a stock off road wheel. I've also go 1.25" spacers. And I had to trim the shit out of my fender lining but you would never know of you didn't know what you were looking for. I've had the tires for almost 3 months and I just got EVERYTHING trimmed.

8. Jun 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    ducati

ducati thie-trickster

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4x4 Black
    Icon coils, Squeaky dakars, Thule rack, tinted windows, weathertech rain guards, Demello off road front bumper, warn winch, shok sound deadening.
    Good call. I had 75's on my 2001 Tacoma. I went out and looked. They are 285/70/17.

9. Jul 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    ryantaco

ryantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Long Bed TRD Sport
    I dont want to change my rim size (17) so will 265/70/17 not work?

10. Jul 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Sorry i meant 265/70/17, which is the same size as 265/75/16. Its about 32"

Products Discussed in

To Top