1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd actuator

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SR5 05, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jul 20, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    SR5 05

SR5 05 [OP] Member

Member:
    Renfrew ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    K&n filter
    Is it possible the new add won't work right because the computer reads the fault of the add currently installed (that may be full of water

2. Jul 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    Bearcoatoffroad

Bearcoatoffroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Rincon, GA
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Off Road 4x4 Double Cab
    2.5" spacer lift, Tundra wheels with spacers
    The 4x4 indicator light will flash while in 2wd. Mine went through a few days where it would flash, then go out. 4x4 only engages when the light is out and the 4wd computer sees no faults.

Get some help, lay under the truck in front under the front diff(you might need to drop skid plates), with just the key in run position and engine off, have someone shift from 2hi to 4hi. You should clearly hear the ADD actuate.

IF you hear nothing, you can jack up one front wheel an roll it, front drive shaft turns ADD is engaged, if front drive shaft not spinning with wheel ADD not engaged.

If you narrow down that the ADD is not working, remove front 2 diff bolts and pry down the diff, remove the actuator and inspect. Know this though 1. You will lose a ton of front diff lube 2. The front diff breather can come disconnected between the steel tube extending out of the housing and rubber hose section(you'll see what I'm talking about if you look up there) 3. The inner CV joints will hit the sharp ends of the lower control arms and can damage the boot I you get carried away prying down.

So make sure you can get the diff full plug out ahead of time & you have oil for it.

3. Jul 20, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    Bearcoatoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Rincon, GA
    Vehicle:
    I think it is actually, just a simple permissive that uses the position contacts in the ADD.

The only reason I could think of is the ADD is robust enough to take the hit of engagement while driving along at up to 60mph and get the carrier and front driveshaft spinning prior to T-case engaging.

I swear my T-case actuator did nothing until the ADD was working. I was in that thing a few times and spend a lot of time messing with it.

4. Jul 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    Bearcoatoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Rincon, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thought he meant if the ADD is still bad an he changed the t-case actuator will he still have a fault

5. Dec 7, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Does anybody know if the actuator is covered under the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty?

6. May 22, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    krn_taco90

krn_taco90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tacoma TRD pro
    RRW Rock sliders/Front pro grille lights
    no i'm at the dealer right now these fuckers are charging me i said fuck you put my actuator back on so i won't get charged 800 for part and install for the same oem 4wd diff actuator fuck dealerships they suck ass it's just over priced for regular people that don't know aftermarket and installation can be wayyyyyyy cheaper elsewhere

7. May 22, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    krn_taco90

krn_taco90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tacoma TRD pro
    RRW Rock sliders/Front pro grille lights
    and they gave me a loaner car and my tires blew up on my way to work and they're charging me for brand new tires

Products Discussed in

To Top