1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! Tacoma won't move in drive or reverse!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ebolamonkey, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Ebolamonkey

Ebolamonkey [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a 09 Tacoma 4.0 V6. I love my truck and I am dealing with a slight nightmare right now. Mostly because I bought a discount groupon oil change because it was a few blocks from where I lived. I'm no auto mechanic, but usually i change my own oil.

At the time, it seemed like a good idea. Anyway, so I get my oil change. Drive it quickly back home. Leave for two months on business travel. When I got back, i made a trip to the supermarket. I noticed my truck was hesitant to move. The engine would spin up, and then it would go. I quickly parked. and examined what was going on.

This is where my nightmare began. I was missing my oil fill cap and there was a lot of oil dripping from the filter. I was also missing the screws for my engine cover and my battery bracket was super super loose. I realized my engine oil must be low now.

My oil dipstick is useless, so i decided drain/readd oil. I drained the oil, added 5 quarts of mobil 1, and tightened the oil filter (it was really loose).

The problem now is when I shift to reverse or drive, it doesn't go anywhere??!? I can rev the engine and i feel noooothing. I called the shop that did my oil change All Tune Lube in mountain view and they are now out of business.

SOMEONE HELP :( Any ideas? I am scheduled to get my truck towed tomorrow. All to save ... $10 on an oil change? I've certainly learned my lesson.

2. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    delmandi

delmandi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    TRD Short Throw Shifter
    That really sucks, any burning smell? Awkward noises coming from transmission or engine?

3. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    willhoss

willhoss Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    Maybe they drained the transmission fluid thinking it was the oil and did not refill it? I have hear this mistake is not uncommon.

4. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Fresh Taco

Fresh Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Boston, Ma
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Shorty
    LCE Header, rear air bags, URD short throw shifter, AFE pro dry, 2" receiver hitch, OEM cruise control
    Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Sounds like it could be symptomatic of low ATF. Also, check out your shift linkage to make sure it is intact and shifting properly.

5. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Most likely they started to drain the tranny fluid and realized it was red and plugged it back up but couldn't figure out how to refill it so now it's either completely drained or short a few quarts. I would also check your oil level just to see if it's over flowing.

Business travel for two months?

6. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    tacodane

tacodane The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Led Interior Lights AFE CAI Stage II, Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler Snugtop Cab-Hi shell TRS Retrofitted Headlights
    CHECK all your fuses. had an issue with my truck with shifting, just blew a fuse

7. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Yep, what all those guys said, probably low on transmission fluid.

8. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Maybe they were stupid and drained the tranny instead of the oil, realized it, stopped it back up, and then proceeded to do a crap oil change? That's terrible.

9. Jul 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    LIke the above are saying. Engine oil does not affect the transmission so you need to focus on the tranny and not the motor.

Oh and never use a groupon for car stuff.

10. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    Ebolamonkey

Member:
    oh gawd yes you guys are right. the transmission fluid was really low. this must have been what happened. what the hell. okay so i found the tacomaworld writeup of how to add transmission fluid. i need to stop by toyota for transmission fluid and walmart for a bottle pump and hose... is this all i do? is it a good idea to bring it by a shop after this anyway? i am so annoyed right now.

11. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Personally, I would just take it to the dealer and have them top it off. The temp has to be in a certain range, and they have the right tools to do it properly. Shouldn't cost very much -- the local dealer here topped off my wife's 4Runner for free. Then you don't have to buy and store tranny fluid or a pump.

12. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Ebolamonkey

Member:
    well, it seems pretty straightforward enough, now that i've emptied ito ut completely (there was a little over a quart in there? i have to put some in or how am i goign to drive it to toyota anyyway?

i thought u just fill it up until the overflow valve leaks and then ua re okay?

13. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
    Ebolamonkey

Member:
    ive already drained my transmission fluiiiid... haha. there's no dipstick or anything so... that was the onyl way i could see to check the level.

14. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  15. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Take it back to the shop. They'll have recorded your mileage, see you haven't driven far, and if they want any more business, they'll fix this issue. Whether its buying a new transmission, or something else.

16. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Read the end of the first post... shop is out of business. Probably for shoddy maintenance

17. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Oops. I didn't read that part. New plan! Take to Toyota. Find the owner and send him the bill.

18. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    until the tranny has sufficient fluids, don't drive, not even a little bit, once you start burning the clutches from lack of fluids, the tranny is toast and will need a rebuild...

get a ride and do it yourself or have it towed, a platform tow or rear pull with fronts on ground, so the tranny doesn't get spun during the tow....

19. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    What I would do if I didn't have a ScanGauge:

With the vehicle off, fill it per the instructions until it overflows, leave the plug out.

Run it until it is warm with a pan under it to catch extra fluid as it expands.

Shut it off, put the plug back in, then drive it to Toyota and have them check it. It should be fine.

20. Jul 1, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    byrd

byrd Unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access SR5 4x4 6 speed
    Yeah tranny fluid, but what I don't get is why the missing nuts for the engine cover and the loose battery bracket. What does either have to do with an oil change? Is that the battery you had when you took it in? Or did someone swap it out? You might want to check the torque on your drain plugs...if the filter was loose, I'd bet the drain plugs are to. That might even be the filter you had on there to begin with.

With the place boarded up hard to say if you can get any restitution on that. Did the oil that was leaking all over look new? Also hope you got a new fill cap........

In the future you may want to do your own oil changes....save you some cash and the fact you know it was done right.
    You may want to take it to a competent mechanic and have them give it a go over to make sure nothing else was screwed with.

Products Discussed in

To Top