Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 TPMS light Disabled

Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
2012 TPMS light Disabled

First off, I've spent hours searching and sifting through bs on this site and still couldn't find the answer as to if this could be done on a 2012 model. This is to give others a definite answer. So keep the bs out, start your own thread.
No boobie pics , or just make a canister or use the spare tire, or buy aftermarket, etc...

To get the light to turn off, you get to the TPMS plug behind the stereo. Cut the blue wire, attach the wire harness side in-line with the red wire with white stripe. I taped up the other end of the blue wire, reinstalled in the wire loom, secured it with tape, and plugged it back in. The system is still on, but the signal to illuminate the tpms is disabled.

Attempt at your own risk.

From the info I gathered, the blue wire gong into the wire harness is the signal to the ecu/gauge cluster. The red/white wire supplies a 5v dc + to turn the light off. So it doesn't matter what the tpms computer is reading, the light is disabled with the system still on. Its been over a week since I did this and no problems whatsoever. (edited 7/2/13)

Stereo and surround removed for easier access.

Behind where the climate controls were, you can see the blue TPMS box, which the plug has been already removed.

The blue wire is cut, the harness side is connected in-line with the red/white wire. I later taped the other side of the blue wire coming from the plug. Reinstall plug into tpms box and reinstall everything.

I've received so much help from this site, hopefully this helps out someone else! Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really niceCommanderwiggin is just really nice
Commanderwiggin's Tacoma Gallery
What's the point of this? I've never had an issue with my TPMS...
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
What's the point of this? I've never had an issue with my TPMS...
In my case, I gave my dad my one month old stock set, so he didn't have to buy new tires. I installed a set of wheels and tires without tpms sensors. So this is to get rid of the dummy light. I check tire pressure often to ensure the longevity of my MTZs anyway.

Some people put the sensors in a pressurized pipe, or the spare, and I think its ridiculous. Also the battery life in the sensors are for 7-10 years so eventually everyone is going to run into problems with the system. I figured I'd just get rid of it now.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS is just another knee jerk reaction by our govt. that adds to the cost of our vehicles. I see idiots every day driving on low tires. System was required after all the Explorers flipped. I would disable on a heartbeat if it was easy to get to.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Wish I saw this a month ago before I bought used sensors and made a PVC container to put them in. Granted that its working very well... This would've been a much cheaper and fool proof fix
Old 07-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Raoul Duke is on a distinguished road

Name: CJ
Raoul Duke's Tacoma Gallery
+1 OP! i'm getting sick of looking at this light on my 2013!!!

do you know the function of those two wires?

are you grounding the blue wire or giving it 12v?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
Good thread. Even if I don't get a second set of wheels/tires I will probably do this mod. Hate all TPMS systems.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
wth is a junior member?

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
+1 OP! i'm getting sick of looking at this light on my 2013!!!

do you know the function of those two wires?

are you grounding the blue wire or giving it 12v?
From the info I gathered, the blue wire gong into the wire harness is the signal to the ecu/gauge cluster. The red/white wire supplies a 5v dc + to turn the light off. So it doesn't matter what the tpms computer is reading, the light is disabled with the system still on. Its been over a week since I did this and no problems whatsoever.

First post will be updated with this info.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #9

Just did this mod, worked great, thanks so much OP!! This should be in the cheap free mod section for sure!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
wth is a junior member?

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just did this mod, worked great, thanks so much OP!! This should be in the cheap free mod section for sure!!!
Glad I could help someone else out!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Should at least be a sticky In the tire/wheel section. Or added to the TPMS sticky already there
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
TPMS is just another knee jerk reaction by our govt. that adds to the cost of our vehicles. I see idiots every day driving on low tires. System was required after all the Explorers flipped. I would disable on a heartbeat if it was easy to get to.
See any irony there? ^^^

OP, glad you figured out another way around this problem. If I was going to do this mod, I'd add a switch so it could be enabled easily. While I agree that TPMS can be an annoyance, it also serves a purpose.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
See any irony there? ^^^

OP, glad you figured out another way around this problem. If I was going to do this mod, I'd add a switch so it could be enabled easily. While I agree that TPMS can be an annoyance, it also serves a purpose.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #14
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Eh?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #15

this has been done to death on other threads.

the type of people who drive with low air pressure in their tires areprobably not the people who are reading forums about how to disable a TPMSlight. this safety feature serves a purpose for people who use their vehicle solelyas a means of transportation and have no intention of doing any of their own maintenance.

a TPMS serves no purpose to anyone who seriously offroads, constantlychanges tire pressures for different scenario, or has multiple wheel sets

there is no need for a switch, however it would be a good idea to reattatch the wire as it was if you were to sell you truck. just my opinion
Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
this has been done to death on other threads.

the type of people who drive with low air pressure in their tires areprobably not the people who are reading forums about how to disable a TPMSlight. this safety feature serves a purpose for people who use their vehicle solelyas a means of transportation and have no intention of doing any of their own maintenance.

a TPMS serves no purpose to anyone who seriously offroads, constantlychanges tire pressures for different scenario, or has multiple wheel sets

there is no need for a switch, however it would be a good idea to reattatch the wire as it was if you were to sell you truck. just my opinion
I'll trade you a for your

"a TPMS serves no purpose to anyone who seriously offroads, constantlychanges tire pressures for different scenario, or has multiple wheel sets"

If your vehicle has a functioning TPMS system, being able to easily enable and disable it with a switch may make sense.

Someone that switched wheel sets regularly between ones with and without TPMS sensors might want to use a switch. If I had a mounted set of winter tires, I wouldn't bother with the expense of installing TPMS sensors on steel wheels, but I'd want TPMS enabled for my summer wheel set. Someone that alternates between road and offroad wheels sets might also want a switch to allow use of TPMS when appropriate.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #17

touche

I change my tire pressure enought that I have no use for it but you make a valid point.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
touche

I change my tire pressure enought that I have no use for it but you make a valid point.
Don't get me wrong; I like the idea.
I just like the flexibility offered by a switch a little more.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #19

i wish there wer more spots for all the switches needed in these trucks

1 for 2lo mod
1 for ABS kill
1 for locker anytime
1 for rear view any time
1 for OEM heated mirror
1 for TPMS now

AHHH
Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
i wish there wer more spots for all the switches needed in these trucks

1 for 2lo mod
1 for ABS kill
1 for locker anytime
1 for rear view any time
1 for OEM heated mirror
1 for TPMS now

AHHH
An sPOD with its own panel could take care of that, but then you'd have to mount it somewhere.

If Toyota really cared, they already know how to do it. Take a look at a Prius and you'll know what I mean. Since the Tacoma is already electrified so much anyway, they could easily move a lot of controls to a touchscreen interface. If not that, a multi-function switch or two with small LCD displays would do the job nicely. Maybe 3rd gen will go that way. I know I'd at least considered Entune if it incorporated that kind of control granularity.