1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Quick Toytec Coilover with Bilsteins

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nvdeserted, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Feb 26, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Am I missing something here? I think I can lift my 09 TRD-OR Taco 3" for $460... Using the Toytec Bilstein 3"Coil-over kit ($430) + Toytec swaybar relocater bracket ($30) + Rear susp TSB (Free) = $460 (driveway installation of course = no labor$). It sounds like the kit is designed to be used with the Bilsteins that came with the TRD OR package. I know the TSB isn't a lift but it should provide enough lift to level with the front, at least until the springs sag in a couple years.

So am I missing something or is it gonna be this easy?

I'm also concerned with the load capacity of these ToyTec springs, I'm planning on running an ARB bumper with winch in the near future... anyone know?

I figure I'll probably need to get some aftermarket UCAs once I decide on my tire/wheel combo.

Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:17 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    The Toytec CO kit is designed to go on a set of 5100's, plus you need the necessary stock parts and have to get them assembled with a spring compressor. As for the TSB, it doesnt provide much lift, I have 3" spacers on the front and then it sagged a tad with my bumper and the TSB with 1" block on the back and the back is a tad low. I'd say just get a set of 5100's at 2.5", then throw on a set of OME 886's to handle extra weight of the bumper/winch when you get it(but put the 5100's back to stock height at that time) and stick an AAL under the back of the truck to bring it up 2".

Really, the best would probably be OME shocks all around and the heavy duty 886 coils w/ an aal to lift the back though.

3. Feb 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Thanks man, that's about what I thought (wasn't sure what Bills where on it... and after furthur reading it actually says they won't work). I'm kinda liking the "Ultimate lift Kit" ToyTec sells, it seems to have all the basics covered and it's cheap... unfortunately it doesnt say what the spring rate is on the coilovers, I'll send them an email, I imagine it could be upgraded to a bit heavier spring; the coilover is adjustable so I might just be able to bump it from 3" TO 3.5" when I get the bumper/winch to get the right height/sag with the coils it comes with normally. Also, this kit has an AAL for rear lift so I can just skip the TSB.

Has anyone experimented with using the stock TRD-OR wheels (7x16) with 285/75-16 tires? I know they reccomend a 7.5"+W rim with this size tire but I'm willing to go for it if the trimming isn't too severe. I'd rather not run spacers and I like the styling of the wheels I got.

4. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    The ultimate kit would be a great way to go! Ask Lokghorntaco about the COs with bumper/winch. He has an all pro bumper and just got the winch to go in it. He should have it in soon, then he can probably let you know how they handle the weight.
    With the stock wheels you need a spacer to keep the 285s from rubbing on the UCA.

5. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:21 AM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Stockers rub huh? figures. Any improvement with the Toytec (or other) UCAs? or is there just too much backspacing regardless?

6. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:33 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    I think there's just too much backspacing when you go to the wider tire. A simple set of wheel spacers will fix the issue though, not that big a deal.

7. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:55 AM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Right with you, when I was more into wheeling I used to always hear bad things about spacers. I guess they've made some progress or something because alot of guys on this forum (just researched them) seem very happy with those SpiderTrax brand spacers and they look to be a solid/simple design... pretty cheap too, cheaper than wheels.

Their website lists them as "out of stock", any idea who might stock them? I'm heading to ebay now...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:21 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    nothin' on ebay that will fit the late taco's. I looked at 4x4groupbuy.com where they have them for 99.96 w/ free ship and they'll be getting some in on the 6th according to their site.

9. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:28 AM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I found a few places that list them but I'll call first before ordering so I don't end up waiting 6months. Thanks for the link!

10. Feb 27, 2009 at 3:17 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    The spring rate on those is 600lbs.

11. Feb 27, 2009 at 4:08 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    actually 590# :D

12. Feb 27, 2009 at 4:12 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Really:eek: 600 is what mine are stamped.:confused:

13. Feb 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    I am also looking into to the OME full kits, they look good and swear up and down it's the smoothest lift ever. I'd have to run a hir smaller tire though but no worries.

Hmmm...

14. Feb 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    Neubs

Neubs Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad DC 4X4
    ToyTec 5100 Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Eibach Springs | OME Darkar Leaf Springs | 5150 10" Bilstein Rear Shocks| Light Racing UCAs | All Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit | Timbren Rear Bumps | Extended Stainless Steel Rear Brake Lines | ARB CKMA12 On-Board Air Compressor | Method 16" Race Wheels | Goodyear 285/70/16 MTR | 48" Hi-Lift Jack | ToyTec Diff Drop | Warn Hitch Shackle | TRD Cold Air Intake | PIAA Intense White Bulbs | PIAA Silicone Wipers | Toyota Bed Mat |Sockmonkey Graphics | 20% Tint | Sport Hood | Scan Gauge II & Blend Mount | Shrockworks Sliders | ARB Bumper | Warn M8000 Winch | Viking Synthetic Winch line | 12-Volt Guy In-Dash Winch Controller | Viking Delrin Rollers | Daystar Winch Isolator| ARB/IPF 900XS Lights | Weather Tech Liners | Rock Lights | Diff Breather Mod | Extra Bed D-Rings | Misc. LED bulbs throughout
    My Eibach springs in ToyTec coil over kit are rated at 600lbs just like Ridingontrd.

Del, I think you might be thinking of the 885 OME. Those are rated at 590lbs. :)

15. Feb 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    x2

16. Mar 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    MIKEjONES

MIKEjONES Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma TRD
    3'' Lift-Flowmaster exhaust-jvc head unit
    I just installed a toytec 3'' lift on my tacoma spacer front/AAL rear and I hate it. This thing rides like a tank. I already have a custom exhaust so thats why I went with the AALs with shackels I'll have to cut my exhaust. But the front is too stiff I'm looking at buying coilovers for the front does anyone have them? How stiff are they?
    email me if you can every time I sign in I have to change my password for some reason.
    michael.ketcham@yahoomail.com

17. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    mike - I am surprised to hear you hate the new 3" lift from toytech. I had heard good things about it.. in fact Ihave been mulling it over myself and am glad to hear your feedback on its ride. I am wondering if I should do with a different kit. Perhaps one with coil overs and add a leaf in the back. Which toyotech did you do?

18. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Just found this thread...

To the OP, the Toytec coilovers are awesome for the price! I've never run spacers, but I hear they suck - just really rough. The TT coilovers are just a little firmer than stock, but barely noticeable.

I have the All Pro bumper on, but haven't installed the winch yet... I'm waiting to do the winch and my skids at the same time so that I only have to adjust the coilovers once. But, that's the awesome thing about the coilovers - they're adjustable!! I'm expecting to have my front end drug down around an inch once I add the winch and skids. Then, just crank the coilovers right back up! :D Also, keep in mind that the coilover conversion kit will not work with the factory shocks.

If you decide to go the OME route (which I hear are awesome springs) go ahead and pony up for the OME shocks as well. They're valved specifically for those springs so they'll give you the best ride. And if you plan to run a new bumper and winch, get the 886 springs. I believe that's the setup that silverback07 runs...

And I think you mentioned something about the TSB springs... It's not gonna take them a couple of years to settle - rather only a couple thousand miles. I initially got almost a full 1" of lift, but now they've settled to about .5" higher than the non-TSB springs. I still haven't lifted my rear end because I plan to replace the entire spring pack with the OME Dakars, but right now, my front sits just a touch higher than the back. About .5".

And yes, to run 285/75s on stock rims, you'll need to run spacers. Otherwise you'll rub your UCAs at full lock in reverse. Once the spacers are installed, you'll have some minor trimming to do, but it's really easy. Took me about 5 minutes with my dremmel. For spacers, stick with the Spidertrax. They're out of stock frequently because they are so good! Just be patient - they're worth the wait!

One last thing... I'm not completely sure on this one, but I think that the stock UCA might hit the new springs at full droop. But somebody correct me here...

19. Mar 2, 2009 at 11:34 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Longhorn. I'm basically at the point of just flipping a coin between the full OME 2.5" kit with 32s, or the Toytec Ultimate 3" kit with 33s. Both seem perfect for my needs, slightly better ride with the OME or bigger tires with the Toytec.

I do have a question regarding the UCAs though: aside from any tire rubbing issues, will an aftermarket UCA have any benefit as far as increased susp travel? or is it basically just a fix/improvement to get the camber right after lifting?

20. Mar 3, 2009 at 12:03 AM
    DNahas

DNahas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 OR

Products Discussed in

To Top