Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Quick Toytec Coilover with Bilsteins

Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quick Toytec Coilover with Bilsteins

Am I missing something here? I think I can lift my 09 TRD-OR Taco 3" for $460... Using the Toytec Bilstein 3"Coil-over kit ($430) + Toytec swaybar relocater bracket ($30) + Rear susp TSB (Free) = $460 (driveway installation of course = no labor$). It sounds like the kit is designed to be used with the Bilsteins that came with the TRD OR package. I know the TSB isn't a lift but it should provide enough lift to level with the front, at least until the springs sag in a couple years.

So am I missing something or is it gonna be this easy?

I'm also concerned with the load capacity of these ToyTec springs, I'm planning on running an ARB bumper with winch in the near future... anyone know?

I figure I'll probably need to get some aftermarket UCAs once I decide on my tire/wheel combo.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The Toytec CO kit is designed to go on a set of 5100's, plus you need the necessary stock parts and have to get them assembled with a spring compressor. As for the TSB, it doesnt provide much lift, I have 3" spacers on the front and then it sagged a tad with my bumper and the TSB with 1" block on the back and the back is a tad low. I'd say just get a set of 5100's at 2.5", then throw on a set of OME 886's to handle extra weight of the bumper/winch when you get it(but put the 5100's back to stock height at that time) and stick an AAL under the back of the truck to bring it up 2".

Really, the best would probably be OME shocks all around and the heavy duty 886 coils w/ an aal to lift the back though.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks man, that's about what I thought (wasn't sure what Bills where on it... and after furthur reading it actually says they won't work). I'm kinda liking the "Ultimate lift Kit" ToyTec sells, it seems to have all the basics covered and it's cheap... unfortunately it doesnt say what the spring rate is on the coilovers, I'll send them an email, I imagine it could be upgraded to a bit heavier spring; the coilover is adjustable so I might just be able to bump it from 3" TO 3.5" when I get the bumper/winch to get the right height/sag with the coils it comes with normally. Also, this kit has an AAL for rear lift so I can just skip the TSB.

Has anyone experimented with using the stock TRD-OR wheels (7x16) with 285/75-16 tires? I know they reccomend a 7.5"+W rim with this size tire but I'm willing to go for it if the trimming isn't too severe. I'd rather not run spacers and I like the styling of the wheels I got.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The ultimate kit would be a great way to go! Ask Lokghorntaco about the COs with bumper/winch. He has an all pro bumper and just got the winch to go in it. He should have it in soon, then he can probably let you know how they handle the weight.
With the stock wheels you need a spacer to keep the 285s from rubbing on the UCA.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #5

Stockers rub huh? figures. Any improvement with the Toytec (or other) UCAs? or is there just too much backspacing regardless?
Old 02-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #6

I think there's just too much backspacing when you go to the wider tire. A simple set of wheel spacers will fix the issue though, not that big a deal.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #7

Right with you, when I was more into wheeling I used to always hear bad things about spacers. I guess they've made some progress or something because alot of guys on this forum (just researched them) seem very happy with those SpiderTrax brand spacers and they look to be a solid/simple design... pretty cheap too, cheaper than wheels.

Their website lists them as "out of stock", any idea who might stock them? I'm heading to ebay now...
Old 02-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #8

nothin' on ebay that will fit the late taco's. I looked at 4x4groupbuy.com where they have them for 99.96 w/ free ship and they'll be getting some in on the 6th according to their site.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
nothin' on ebay that will fit the late taco's. I looked at 4x4groupbuy.com where they have them for 99.96 w/ free ship and they'll be getting some in on the 6th according to their site.
Yeah, I found a few places that list them but I'll call first before ordering so I don't end up waiting 6months. Thanks for the link!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
actually 590#
Really 600 is what mine are stamped.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #13

I am also looking into to the OME full kits, they look good and swear up and down it's the smoothest lift ever. I'd have to run a hir smaller tire though but no worries.

Hmmm...
Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #16
MIKEjONES is on a distinguished road
MIKEjONES's Tacoma Gallery
anybody have COs

I just installed a toytec 3'' lift on my tacoma spacer front/AAL rear and I hate it. This thing rides like a tank. I already have a custom exhaust so thats why I went with the AALs with shackels I'll have to cut my exhaust. But the front is too stiff I'm looking at buying coilovers for the front does anyone have them? How stiff are they?
email me if you can every time I sign in I have to change my password for some reason.
michael.ketcham@yahoomail.com
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
mike - I am surprised to hear you hate the new 3" lift from toytech. I had heard good things about it.. in fact Ihave been mulling it over myself and am glad to hear your feedback on its ride. I am wondering if I should do with a different kit. Perhaps one with coil overs and add a leaf in the back. Which toyotech did you do?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just found this thread...

To the OP, the Toytec coilovers are awesome for the price! I've never run spacers, but I hear they suck - just really rough. The TT coilovers are just a little firmer than stock, but barely noticeable.

I have the All Pro bumper on, but haven't installed the winch yet... I'm waiting to do the winch and my skids at the same time so that I only have to adjust the coilovers once. But, that's the awesome thing about the coilovers - they're adjustable!! I'm expecting to have my front end drug down around an inch once I add the winch and skids. Then, just crank the coilovers right back up! Also, keep in mind that the coilover conversion kit will not work with the factory shocks.

If you decide to go the OME route (which I hear are awesome springs) go ahead and pony up for the OME shocks as well. They're valved specifically for those springs so they'll give you the best ride. And if you plan to run a new bumper and winch, get the 886 springs. I believe that's the setup that silverback07 runs...

And I think you mentioned something about the TSB springs... It's not gonna take them a couple of years to settle - rather only a couple thousand miles. I initially got almost a full 1" of lift, but now they've settled to about .5" higher than the non-TSB springs. I still haven't lifted my rear end because I plan to replace the entire spring pack with the OME Dakars, but right now, my front sits just a touch higher than the back. About .5".

And yes, to run 285/75s on stock rims, you'll need to run spacers. Otherwise you'll rub your UCAs at full lock in reverse. Once the spacers are installed, you'll have some minor trimming to do, but it's really easy. Took me about 5 minutes with my dremmel. For spacers, stick with the Spidertrax. They're out of stock frequently because they are so good! Just be patient - they're worth the wait!

One last thing... I'm not completely sure on this one, but I think that the stock UCA might hit the new springs at full droop. But somebody correct me here...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #19

Thanks Longhorn. I'm basically at the point of just flipping a coin between the full OME 2.5" kit with 32s, or the Toytec Ultimate 3" kit with 33s. Both seem perfect for my needs, slightly better ride with the OME or bigger tires with the Toytec.

I do have a question regarding the UCAs though: aside from any tire rubbing issues, will an aftermarket UCA have any benefit as far as increased susp travel? or is it basically just a fix/improvement to get the camber right after lifting?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
DNahas is on a distinguished road

DNahas's Tacoma Gallery
Why the OME over toytec?

-Edit, Sorry I should have looked first.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

"Bilstein 5100: This lift is also at it's full extent it will have only about 1" of down travel.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t182621.html "