LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Smart People of TW needed:

Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #21
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Could you would get a patch over it? Like a piece of metal with the TSS on it that goes over the TRD. It wouldn't be flush though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
Make a plate and have them braze or weld it over the TRD.
Damn I didn't even think of that... great idea. Machine shop maybe?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
If the plan is to paint/coat the pipes, why not consider brazing (or soldering) the letters to cover them? When you re-coat the pipe, no more letters.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could you would get a patch over it? Like a piece of metal with the TSS on it that goes over the TRD. It wouldn't be flush though...
Damnit, I spent too long writing.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
If the plan is to paint/coat the pipes, why not consider brazing (or soldering) the letters to cover them? When you re-coat the pipe, no more letters.
So which would be better? Would soldering survive the ceramic coating process?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #25
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

that's a good idea, if its a polished stainless tip you could have a pre-stamped or etched plate tacked on to cover the trd. I don't think it would look tacky as long as its fairly thin gauge, like 18 or 20.

if its chrome, that may not work so well
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #26
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarine veteran and Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan James
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
Heat wrap that shit all the way to the tip!?!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
that's a good idea, if its a polished stainless tip you could have a pre-stamped or etched plate tacked on to cover the trd. I don't think it would look tacky as long as its fairly thin gauge, like 18 or 20.

if its chrome, that may not work so well
Yes, they are polished stainless steel. Any idea where I could get plates like that made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
Heat wrap that shit all the way to the tip!?!
I wonder if the powder/ceramic coating place could do that for me...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
It honestly would be cheaper for you too just laser engrave TSS and leave the TRD just think how cool it would be to have both of them on the tips
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #29
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know much about ceramic coating. If I were gonna do it, I would probably braze it.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #30

I knew I asked the right group of people... very appreciative!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
It honestly would be cheaper for you too just laser engrave TSS and leave the TRD just think how cool it would be to have both of them on the tips
I agree, that would be cool! Who would I look for to do the laser engraving in my area? I guess google would tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I don't know much about ceramic coating. If I were gonna do it, I would probably braze it.
Braze... ok I may know someone that could do it. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #32
smd3 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...What state is metal tech in?
Metal's Tech is a career/specialty in the Air Force. Essentially machinists for aircraft parts, they have a lot of expertise doing things like this.

I think you're stuck with the TRD logo, it's fairly deep. Attempting to remove it will either remove the chrome plating or it'll just make the metal super thin.

Now for getting TSS put on there... You could try asking a machine shop, or find someone that does engraving/laser. I would start with anyone that makes trophies or plaques. I don't know if they'll work with you, but they engrave stuff all the time.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd3 View Post
Metal's Tech is a career/specialty in the Air Force. Essentially machinists for aircraft parts, they have a lot of expertise doing things like this.

I think you're stuck with the TRD logo, it's fairly deep. Attempting to remove it will either remove the chrome plating or it'll just make the metal super thin.

Now for getting TSS put on there... You could try asking a machine shop, or find someone that does engraving/laser. I would start with anyone that makes trophies or plaques. I don't know if they'll work with you, but they engrave stuff all the time.
Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
braze or silver solder. Higher melting point than lead solder.
Still not sure if its high enough for ceramic coating process.

If the tip is polished stainless, have somebody fill it with a tig torch and then sand flat with a flapper disc and polish.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
braze or silver solder. Higher melting point than lead solder.
Still not sure if its high enough for ceramic coating process.

If the tip is polished stainless, have somebody fill it with a tig torch and then sand flat with a flapper disc and polish.
thanks man! now i just have to find a shop that will do the work
Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #36

well, I decided to give it a shot and just have them ceramic coated and leave the trd stamp alone. after i looked closer, the stamp was very shallow on these pipes and i thought it might not show up too much. You actually have to get pretty close to see it. Im very happy with it.

Pictures:

This is the custom BAmuffler that was built out of california by DirtyDeeds, standing against the wall:

So this Saturday Ill be doing the install. Ill get some pics of it up. I know everyone has a tacoma, but for your viewing pleasure ill post a video too.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
That looks awesome
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #39

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best! Looks nice!