LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Smart People of TW needed:

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Smart People of TW needed:

So I have a small project going with my exhaust. I like a little custom in things I do, so if anyone could suggest the best way to go about this, I would appreciate it.

I've got a TSS model Toyota that I'm doing putting some exhaust together for. The toyota tailpipes have the oval shape with the TRD logo engraved in them. Yes I'm petty and overly detailed about things pertaining to my truck, so... what I want to do is have two fat S's to replace the RD portion of the logo. If that is impossible maybe I could have the TRD filled in. I'd rather have it say TSS. After I'm going to have the tailpipes and tips ceramic coated.

Should I visit a machine shop, laser engraver, sandblast them, dremel tool them myself or what?

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!!

I'm sure everyone knows what the tips look like, but here is a pic:
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Man.... Looking at that and thinking about it I really have no idea how you would go about doing that. I like your idea but I just can't see it being done with that tip that already has the engraving done on it. Have you thought about getting another tip similar to that one and just having it engraved? I think what you are doing (although cool) would be a lot of trouble with that tip.

BTW... If you can use a Dremel tool to make an "S" I've got a lot of detail work for you lol.

Good luck whatever you do!

Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I may end up trying a dremel. I wish I could find a shop that did stuff like that in the area. Small amounts or the RD may show, but I would be happy with a big fat SS covering it. Hopefully someone here will have a good idea before I rip into it. I'm going to wait a few days for suggestions and contemplate it!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Laser but even then it will be a massive undertaking to replace the TRD with something else because it is etched so deep. You are better off buying new tail pipes and starting from scratch if you hate the TRD so much.
If you were close to me I'd run it over to metals tech and see what they could do.

Good luck
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Ha, no hate involved, I just want them to match my TSS model truck... plus they are brand new pipes. I'm going to use these no matter what, but I just have to figure it out. Thanks!! What state is metal tech in?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6

I thought if I could get the S's fat enough, with very little space in between the curves, you couldn't see any lines of the RD very well.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people would pay good money for that TRD tip. A dremel is going to destroy it and make it look horrible! If your so into detail then you should know a dremel should not even be on your list of options.

I have the EXACT same tip except without the TRD engraving. Its welded on with my exhaust and looks great. Cost me about $20 when I had my exhaust installed. You should sell that tip, buy another oval shaped chrome tip, have it laser etched, then install it.

If a dremel is your best option then your better off leaving it how it is. I promise it wont end well
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
A lot of people would pay good money for that TRD tip. A dremel is going to destroy it and make it look horrible! If your so into detail then you should know a dremel should not even be on your list of options.

I have the EXACT same tip except without the TRD engraving. Its welded on with my exhaust and looks great. Cost me about $20 when I had my exhaust installed. You should sell that tip, buy another oval shaped chrome tip, have it laser etched, then install it.

If a dremel is your best option then your better off leaving it how it is. I promise it wont end well
Thank you for your input. I bought the pipes for my truck because it was cheaper than having them built. They came from the factory witht the trd stamp. Hey, if they end up looking horrible ill do something else. You gotta have vision man... you are too young to be so negative! Ha
Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

These are the pipes:

They already have the tips perfectly welded.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
How about TSS engraved above the TRD that would be awesome
Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Phillip
lowcountrytj's Tacoma Gallery
Cut it off just above the TRD and have someone engrave and coated. Done?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Me thinks you can possibly do a lead fill, grind it smooth, then a laser etch.

It's not going to pop like the TRD logo, but you'll get what you want.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarine veteran and Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan James
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #14

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Hmmm... that is something ill consider and a damn good idea! Thank you!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
scotch is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
scotch's Tacoma Gallery
perhaps one of these blank toyota tips would be better to engrave into:

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...product=326762

Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Could you would get a patch over it? Like a piece of metal with the TSS on it that goes over the TRD. It wouldn't be flush though...
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Make a plate and have them braze or weld it over the TRD.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #18

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
Me thinks you can possibly do a lead fill, grind it smooth, then a laser etch.

It's not going to pop like the TRD logo, but you'll get what you want.
Great ideas!

Who should I go see to have a fill done if I did that? Machine shop? Ill be ceramic coating them after.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
^This^

I like his idea! Never thought of that but I think you would be getting the best of both worlds!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarine veteran and Air Force DoD contractor.
Name: Ryan James
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Could you would get a patch over it? Like a piece of metal with the TSS on it that goes over the TRD. It wouldn't be flush though...
I like that idea too.

Rivet it over top of the TRD logo for a more badderasser look. haha