1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bucking and jerking from a stand still

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bobbybreach, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    bobbybreach

bobbybreach [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    i have a trd OR double cab and when the enginge is cold and i put my tuck in 1st to start driving, it will buck and jerk until im up to speed to disengage the clutch fully. last time i changed the oil it stopped doing it for the first 1500 miles or so. im changing my oil tonight and i wana see whats going to happen. any thoughts or ideas on why this is happening? and when the truck is fully warmed up it wont do it. only during the first start up

2. Jul 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Is it bucking and jumping when you start yo go by letting off the clutch OR just sitting with the clutch depressed?

3. Jul 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    BrettBretterson

BrettBretterson Wild Ginger

Member:
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's
    Sounds like it could be clutch chatter, from a wearing clutch or pilot bearing.

4. Jul 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    Sub'ed

5. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    bobbybreach

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    When I'm in first just starting out when the engine is still cold, as I'm slowly releasing the clutch and giving it gas to start it will buck. If I rev it to 3 grand and ride the clutch out it won't do it. It only happens when I first start my truck in the mornin to go to work. Once the engine is warm it doesn't buck

6. Jul 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Sounds like the clutch, also since first gear sucks balls on these trucks I always shift to second as soon as i start rolling. You can always start to roll without gassing it then shift to second and gtg.

7. Jul 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    My six speed did that too. The cold chatter was awful, especially when it would do it in the winter and I was trying to feather some control on ice!

I think it's their choice of clutch material. The six speed clutches can last 300k miles and longer with the right driver so maybe it's a harder friction material.

8. Jul 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Fine once it's warm?

9. Jul 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    bobbybreach

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    When I say cold start I mean the engine is cold. It bucks no matter what the temp is outside. Once the engine is warmed up it won't buck. Only the initial start when my engine is still cold

10. Jul 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Might want to check the coolant temp sensor.

11. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    My 08 has done the same thing since new. Once warm, shudder/chatter is gone. Once warm, clutch shudder is gone. Mine is much worse in the winter when morning temps are colder. Took mine in several times during 1st year, dealer was unable to duplicate problem, saying it's my lack of experience driving a clutch. Funny thing to say as I've been driving manual transmissions since I started driving in 1975. My previous truck was a 97 Tacoma which I bought new from same dealer.

12. Jul 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    bobbybreach

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Ok well at least I'm not the only one with this problem. I just changed the oil to Mobil 1. It didn't do it this morning. But last time I changed the oil it didn't start doing it again till almost 1500 miles on that oil. I'm not sure if its just a freak occurrence that it didn't do it when I changed the oil but I have it another shot so I will monitor it. I also use 87 octane and I think I'm gonna upgrade to 93 and try a bottle of seafoam as well. I've brought my truck to the dealer about the bucking and they said it was fine as well.

13. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    Mine does the same thing!! it is so annoying...

14. Jul 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    Your problem could be a variety of things. My truck does it some too especially if its a damp morning and It has been sitting awhile. I think it gets a little surface rust on the flywheel is the cause of that, because the brake are grabby too. Could be carbon in the throttle body causing a delayed response reaction. Also when was the last time you changed your spark plugs? My truck was more stall prone when it was time to change the plugs.

15. Jul 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM
    bobbybreach

Member:
    First Name:
    bobby
    westchester NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Honestly I don't remember the last time I changed my plugs. I have 50,000 and I prob should change them

16. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07_4x4_Access Cab_V-6_Manual-6_Silver Mica
    None yet
    My 07 does the clutch chatter thing in the mornings also. Mostly the colder the more it does. It stops shortly after the engine is warm. I also on first start and clutch letout get a audible throw out bearing whirrrrrrrrrr. This also goes away pretty much after the clutch has initially been let out the first time. Weird.

17. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    mine seems to do it intermittently when its cold or really damp out, goes away once the clutch gets some heat in it though

18. Aug 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    Took mine in this week to have them check this issue under warranty. Purposefully dropped it off on a Sunday for the appointment I made on Tuesday morning and stated this as the plan to the service writer on the phone Friday. Basically give it a full 24 hour rest so the problem would likely surface. Of course the tech drove it on Monday at noon instead of Tuesday and didn't see an issue.

He did do TSB work for the squeaky clutch pedal.

Anyone go in to have their truck looked at? This slipping cant be the best for the Iongevity of the clutch

19. Jul 23, 2014 at 3:57 AM
    cberr

cberr Active Member

Member:
    south nj
    3" lift, Airaid CAI
    hey guys. Was there any update or follow up solution to this problem. I know it's been a while, but thought maybe you figured out what it was? I have a 2012 6-speed and have the same problem. for me, on cold start or when the truck has been sitting for a while, when I start out in first, the best way I could describe it is it's like driving in 4 wheel drive on pavement. The truck jerks, sometimes a little, sometimes as if the thing is gonna shake itself apart. I noticed it getting worse...started doing it mostly on a left turn out of drive way, but now seems to do it any direction, and more frequently. Only in first gear. Once in second, it goes away. I tried different things, like feathering the clutch, tried giving it more rpm, tried rolling at first and trying to jump to second. Anyway, still under factory warranty, so brought it in yesterday to yota dealership. Also had to get clutch pedal/cylinder replaced as that was leaking and I was loosing brake fluid. I wonder if that is related above problem, as mechanic mentioned it might be? Anyway, same exact thing for me as above post. I brought it in before for this and of course, on a test drive, it doesn't do it and I look like I'm crying wolf. Hopefully it does it this time, so they don't think I'm nuts, as it's being left there overnight and the mech will test it this morning. I hate when that happens, cause I know it does it, and my dealership is close to an hour away, so it makes it hard to get up there and get work done, especially when they don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Anyway, added info would be that the mech said there was a bulliten on these, something to do with the driveshaft and that could be my problem, but when I got the truck it came with a 2 or 3 inch? lift, and that throws of the repair protocol. anyway, any thoughts or ideas, just for my peace of mind. I am hoping the dealer can fix it, but it never hurts to have an idea of what the problem is...

Products Discussed in

To Top