Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel System Cleaner

View Poll Results: Thoughts on fuel system cleaner products?
Yes, it helps 123 53.95%
Not worth the price 13 5.70%
Completely useless 30 13.16%
Not sure 68 29.82%
STP brand 6 2.63%
Gumout brand 5 2.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #61
Nfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nfurtado77's Tacoma Gallery
Sea foam used to clean the throttle body on my car and poured some in my tank.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #62
bigshug1 is on a distinguished road
bigshug1's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for Seafoam - I use it in my ZX6R and I have used in my BMW's of days past...

Not sure whether the prices are universal - but our local (in central VA) Northern Tool has SeaFoam for ~$6.50 for the 16oz size...
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #63
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I've used Seafoam and the Chevron Techron stuff. I liked the Seafoam better as a induction cleaner than the Chevron stuff as a tank pour.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #64
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
RPD STARS is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
RPD STARS's Tacoma Gallery
I use lucas with my 94 chevron fill ups.... i dunno if it does anything but it makes me feel better.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #65
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
I use Marvel's Mystery Oil, I have been pleased with the results in other vehicles, have yet to use it in the taco though...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #66
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
i use Seafoam once every 4 months, but i put half in gas and half in vacuum line... then i put gas treatment in truck once every 2 months... I actually do see a difference with it.. right now i get about 22-23 MPG mix of highway/mountain/city...
Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #67
Greenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
Greenpants's Tacoma Gallery
Chevron Techron ,all my cars & trucks for twenty years. Stuff works !

greenpants....mike
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #68
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard nothing but good things about Techron.

I recently put Seafoam into the gas and a little into the oil of my tractor mower. Ran it for a bit and then sucked some through the carb. Yeah... white smoke. Changed the oil and I'll be damned if the thing doesn't run and sound better now.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #69
thegrandpoohbah is on a distinguished road

thegrandpoohbah's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam is awesome. I had an old 1991 Kawasaki ZX6 in the shed stored for 2 years. Carbs were gummed up and the gas was bad. Needless to say she wouldn't start. Half a can of Seafoam in the tank, left it overnight and she started up on the first try the next day!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #70
Nfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckoma View Post
I have heard nothing but good things about Techron.

I recently put Seafoam into the gas and a little into the oil of my tractor mower. Ran it for a bit and then sucked some through the carb. Yeah... white smoke. Changed the oil and I'll be damned if the thing doesn't run and sound better now.

Why in the oil? And one of the side effects of seafoam is white smoke. My favorite part of seafoam is the aggressive driving they suggest after you use it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #71
ozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really niceozmon420 is just really nice

ozmon420's Tacoma Gallery
wow I have 101k miles and ive never used a fuel cleaner, think it's time to dump a bottle?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #73
Vincent05 is on a distinguished road
Vincent05's Tacoma Gallery
why not just use 93 octane instead of 87 and adding these additives.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #74
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent05 View Post
why not just use 93 octane instead of 87 and adding these additives.
Everything else being equal, I don't believe higher octane fuel keeps the internals any cleaner than a lower octane rated fuel. Typically, higher octane fuels are supposed to have better detergent packages, and that's what's supposed to make the difference.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #75
Vincent05 is on a distinguished road
Vincent05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Everything else being equal, I don't believe higher octane fuel keeps the internals any cleaner than a lower octane rated fuel. Typically, higher octane fuels are supposed to have better detergent packages, and that's what's supposed to make the difference.
I drove a couple Astro vans before getting my Tacoma. Tried using 87 and it would not drive the same as 93, wouldn't pick up speed. Ever since then I never used any other octane. Heard 93 burns cleaner and doesn't gunk up the engine as 87 does.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #76
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Like I said, those are two separate, but connected issues. A fuel's octane rating does not necessarily have an impact on how well it keeps an engine clean; it's about avoiding engine knock, higher compression ratios, and other engine management issues. I don't think 93 burns any cleaner due to the higher octane rating, but the detergent package may make a difference, and it may even clean old deposits. At least, that's what the oil companies say.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #77
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
so seafoam you dump it in the gas tank before you fill up?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Like I said, those are two separate, but connected issues. A fuel's octane rating does not necessarily have an impact on how well it keeps an engine clean; it's about avoiding engine knock, higher compression ratios, and other engine management issues. I don't think 93 burns any cleaner due to the higher octane rating, but the detergent package may make a difference, and it may even clean old deposits. At least, that's what the oil companies say.
yea basically how it works most engines wont run any better with high octanes, they are harder to burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Spray seafoam into a throttle body then scrub it will a toothbrush and you won't think its snake oil anymore.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #79
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfurtado77 View Post
Spray seafoam into a throttle body then scrub it will a toothbrush and you won't think its snake oil anymore.
There is a huge difference between spraying some on a part and cleaning it by hand, and just dumping it in the fuel tank and praying for the best.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #80
Bahamayellow is on a distinguished road
Bahamayellow's Tacoma Gallery
I like using bg44k. It's kind of expensive but to me worth every penny. Never had any fuel problems while using it.. I have used the Lucas also.

Products Discussed in this Thread