Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuel System Cleaner

View Poll Results: Thoughts on fuel system cleaner products?
Yes, it helps 124 54.15%
Not worth the price 13 5.68%
Completely useless 30 13.10%
Not sure 68 29.69%
STP brand 6 2.62%
Gumout brand 5 2.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
TaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylorU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
TaylorU's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel System Cleaner

I've been wondering lately if anyone uses or recommends any fuel system cleaner products. The standard ones I've seen usually run about $6-12. I would be using this on my 2010 with about 57k on it in which I just use regular unleaded gas.

What's everyone's thoughts? Helpful or garbage?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Seafoam.

Pour a bottle in your empty tank at the pump, then fill her up.

Done & done.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
i agree with ryan although i only do that once every 6 months myself. use seafoam in all my stored gas and other engine driven machinery too. it works for me
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
MSL77385 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorably discharged before most of the forum members were born.
Name: Mark
MSL77385's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for Seafoam.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
X4 for seafoam
Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I run a bottle of techron every couple tanks and also 91 to 93 octane in every tank.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Berrymans B12 is half the price of SeaFoam and from my personal experience cleaning sludgy parts, it's a hell of a lot stronger.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
sorry not to threadjack but does the seafoam do anything? do you notice any difference in performance or how the vehicle runs?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I use seafoam twice a year but I add it through the booster. Then every couple of fill ups I'll add some Lucas or chevron additive.

Which is better... Lucas or the Chevron?

Chevron is a little more expensive, not sure why its so expensive?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
I use sea foam also 2-3 times a year, but i like Redline SI1 cleaner for more frequent use and use the lower dosage rates on the bottle, I think it helps, thats my vote.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Berrymans B12 is half the price of SeaFoam and from my personal experience cleaning sludgy parts, it's a hell of a lot stronger.
it is stronger and therefore you do not want to use it in a 2 cycle. It will wash the oil off your rings. I use Seafoam if I use anything.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
doc1187 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
doc1187's Tacoma Gallery
seafoam for sure, four times a year. especially with this 10% ethanol crap. Run it threw your vacuum line, you will become a believer
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
I use seafoam twice a year but I add it through the booster. Then every couple of fill ups I'll add some Lucas or chevron additive.

Which is better... Lucas or the Chevron?

Chevron is a little more expensive, not sure why its so expensive?
Iv noticed a better idle and mpgs with the chevron additive (techron) the Lucas gave me shitty mpgs
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
andjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to beholdandjenliang is a splendid one to behold
Law Enforcement: LAXPD
Name: Andew
andjenliang's Tacoma Gallery
I've used chevron, lucas, slick 500, starbrite, and seafoam. With all of them have noticed no difference in anything, perhaps my 2010 with 35k miles is not old enough to need such things. I have to admit i have seen more benefits using them in my 4 cycle and 2 cycle yard equipment than using it on my vehicles. The only time i have actually heard a difference is the sitting idle on my tacoma using 91... ive noticed that after i changed to 91 the revs sound like they are about 300 rpms slower at idle, but power and acceleration has not changed.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #15
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
if your vehicle already runs good you wont notice any difference at all. the reasons for using a cleaner is to keep things from gumming up pretty much!!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
LowerBost has a spectacular aura aboutLowerBost has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
LowerBost's Tacoma Gallery
Are you guys just throwing the seafoam into your gas take or actually putting it through the lines?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
LowerBost has a spectacular aura aboutLowerBost has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
LowerBost's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure my truck will probably need it being I have 74,000 on my 09.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerBost View Post
Are you guys just throwing the seafoam into your gas take or actually putting it through the lines?

No need to dose it through the vacuum lines. Too much can wash the cylinder walls and cause excessive wear and oil burning. Just dose some in the gas and it will do just fine.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
No need to dose it through the vacuum lines. Too much can wash the cylinder walls and cause excessive wear and oil burning. Just dose some in the gas and it will do just fine.
I ran it through my vacuum lines when I first got my truck with 53,000 miles.

It idled a lot smoother. Now I just dump a can in the gas tank once in a while.

I'll probably try and get it through the intake again soon.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
ANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
ANT2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
I use seafoam exclusively in all of my engines. Boat, vehicles, mower, generator and PW. Never had any issues and sure starts on everything that is stored for extensive periods of time.

Products Discussed in this Thread