Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grillecraft MX Upper and Lower installed

Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #41
Listen More that Speak... Answer When Asked
NorthRoad is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army: Troop Commander _ Armoured Recce; Battle Tanks
NorthRoad's Tacoma Gallery
Nice look! I have the same grill and have been pondering the lighting solution... I'm going to copy your example. Tucked away from rocks and sticky fingers!
  • Please update on effectiveness/brightness... % reduction from the mesh?
  • What mounting hardware did you add?
I am also planning a CIB 2" receiver for the fro t that will pop through the bottom grill. (I know a plate bumper with a real box is the norm but I literally have inches to spare in the garage as is) I like how this solution would keep the lenses away from the winch-tray!
Cheers NorthRoad
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #42
FFJamison is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Salty Tailboard
Name: Humps
FFJamison's Tacoma Gallery
I did this to my 12 and put Optilux 4" HIDs on the BAMF mount. But the grille seems to cut the light in half also they seem to be more of a flood light. I had to drive wo grille for awhile while the paint cured on the color match so Its a noticeable difference.
Thinking about going back to halogens and 100w bulbs in driving or spot lights
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #43
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry folks...just got back in town Wednesday from vacation and haven't had time to wire up the lights. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #44
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRoad View Post
Please update on effectiveness/brightness... % reduction from the mesh?
I wondered the same thing. The short answer is "a fair amount, but not so much as to make adding the lights worthless."

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ight-loss.html
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #45
tacotoy2013 is on a distinguished road

Name: TacoToy
tacotoy2013's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! Just curious if you had problems trying to take the bottom part of the stock grill out. I can get the top portion to come out no problem but there are a bunch of tabs holding the bottom in but they don't seem to release the grill. what am I missing?? thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #46
200 years too late
Code Gray is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
Code Gray's Tacoma Gallery
You've got me sold on the grillcraft. I really like the way the upper and lower looks and you did a great job. So far the cheapest I can find is at Truck Alterations for $283 and it includes upper, lower and triangles.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Here is mine on my '13
Old 09-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #48
Libohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shedLibohunden is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Libohunden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valsmere View Post
Here is mine on my '13
Sweet! How much and how hard was it to install?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #49
Valsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shedValsmere is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
Valsmere's Tacoma Gallery
Not hard at all just take you time. Patience is the key. I ordered a new grill so if it got messed up I would have a replacement, but honestly it wasn't a bad install. I have a stock grill that I should put up for sale.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #50
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy2013 View Post
Looks great! Just curious if you had problems trying to take the bottom part of the stock grill out. I can get the top portion to come out no problem but there are a bunch of tabs holding the bottom in but they don't seem to release the grill. what am I missing?? thanks.
6 tabs and 2 push clips connecting the bottom.

Look for the Status grille installation on You Tube, the guy shows how to release the tabs.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #52
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
Just a long overdo update on this mod. There does not seem to be a significant reduction in brightness due to the mesh. Of course I am running 100 watt bulbs and the lights are aimed in a way that they light up the road surface about 20-30 feet in front of the truck.

I got bored with the grillcraft and decided to pull off the grill assembly and replace it with the stocker I still had. I removed the lower mesh, added the custom Toyota T and moved the lights closer in two spaces. Also gave the lower plastic another solid coat of Krylon satin black paint. Not sure how much the stock grill will reduce the brightness, but I may roll with this setup until I can get my hands on a real Satoshi, if ever.

Also removed my TRD stickers. I plan on ordering some tires this week and should have the FJ Trail Teams mounted with Toyo Open Country ATII's by next weekend. Here's how it sits today....

Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #53
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
subd