Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #381
tacoidaho is on a distinguished road
tacoidaho's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #382
jesse30002000 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jesse
jesse30002000's Tacoma Gallery
Cheapest set of d rings ive seen besides that army surplus warehouse.

http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_D_Ri...d_p/drcblk.htm

I find the lack of tie downs almost laughable in my '12 TRD sport, not to mention the four that a do have (2 d rings near the tailgate and 2 anchors on the bottom corner of the walls on the other side of the bed) are busy holding down my sandbags to my wheel wells for some extra weight.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #383
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered my D Rings from Army Surplus.

I built a sleeping platform in the bed of my truck. I have a camper shell. Besides sleeping back there I can haul scuba gear on the above platform and the tanks down below.

I'm going to add extra d rings by drilling holes into the bed floor and use these to secure the tanks to the bed. This way I can go down to Monterey in the morning and go diving and hit up the trails in Hollister OHV with out the tanks moving around. They weigh around 35-40 pounds each so I want them super secure.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #384
Desert Warrior
TX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to beholdTX RPO is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: SHANE
TX RPO's Tacoma Gallery
Great Idea!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #385
mobgma is on a distinguished road
mobgma's Tacoma Gallery
I want to do this mod but am hoping someone can offer some insight.

I am going to add the DRings the the side of the box which is where they intend. I am also going to add them to the box floor utilizing the frame bolt per the OP.

What is the torque spec of bolt that goes into the frame that everyone is removing and dremeling?

I was thinking of installing the DRing through a cleanly drilled whole of the bed mat that would be in line of the bolt that goes into the frame. This way they are over the bed mat and look good without having to cut the bed mat out. I really don't want to cut the bed mat because it looks so good! This would also act somewhat as a deterrent from someone stealing the bed mat or possibly it come flying out of by box since it is fastened down as well.

Would having 1/2" less engaged threads into the bed frame be detrimental? The bed mat is 1/2" so I would lose that in thread engagement.

Has anyone tried what I am thinking? Any success or pictures?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #386
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for later....good write up.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #387
Jaws9760 has a spectacular aura aboutJaws9760 has a spectacular aura about

Jaws9760's Tacoma Gallery
Before I did the D-ring mod I PM'd a lot of folk to see how they liked their setups; many thanks to blunt, BrettBretterson, JKD, and Primersinmyshoe for their valuable feedback, you guys rock.

I put Army Surplus Warehouse Rope rings behind all the #T30 torx that hold the side bed rails. I managed to strip one of the torx 'cause I'm brilliant like that. Though I couldn't find another torx, a button-head phillips bolt with 6mm-1.0 threads was an adequate replacement.

I shoved some used string trimmer line into the D-Rings to keep the noise and movement down, it worked surprisingly well. Two strands of line and the rings won't fall, even over some bumpy roads.

I only put rings on the middle set of bed bolts since my taco already had floor tie-downs in the corners. I backed out all of the bed bolts and hit them with stove paint. Hopefully the paint holds up, the hardware in the bed looks a lot better black.

blunt's D-rings high on the bed corners near the tailgate looked good to me so I copied him. I read that the Toyota cargo net comes with hardware to utilize those same bolts so I'm confident that it's a solid mounting point.

All told I added 14 new tie down points to the taco, I'm actually looking forward to helping my friends move next weekend. Thanks to everyone who posts here, it's really nice to be able to research mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-d-rings.jpg   Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-d-rings2.jpg   Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-stringtrimmer.jpg   Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-img_0514.jpg   Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-img_0518.jpg  

Old 05-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #388
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
Way to go! You took it to the next level.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #389
mr2snob is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
mr2snob's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'ed for a nice weekend project
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #390
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You guys won't regret doing this mod.
We did ours last summer. Installed 4 additional tie-downs in the bed using the military surplus d-rings. Back & middle, both sides. We also cut cute little squares in our bed mat to accommodate...

These last couple months, we've been ripping carpet/pad out of the upstairs and my mother-in-laws house. These extra tie-downs have been awesome to to haul all the carpet. One of the best mods ever!!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #391
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered 2 sets from Army Surplus Warehouse - the link from the first page. 10 heavy duty D-rings for $18, delivered. Excellent deal.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #392
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
I use my extra d rings to secure scuba tanks. I have enough rings for 8 tanks. This is great piece of mind when you have to come to a quick stop and don't have to worry about the tank valves getting slammed by other tanks.

I lay them down in pairs. The tanks go under a platform that the rest of the gear sits on. The platform is great for sleeping on too.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #393
Jaws9760 has a spectacular aura aboutJaws9760 has a spectacular aura about

Jaws9760's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Do...ma/Y07011.html

I helped my friends move today and got a chance to use my new d-ring set-up. Everything worked really well and I'm quite pleased.

The link above is to a Yakima bungee cargo net. My friends gave me an old one, circa 1995, today for help moving. I have the "long" 6.1' bed and this net works very well.

Frankly, I always thought that I would want a web cargo net but I was really impressed w/ this net and since it was free to me the price was right
Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #394
Torkt is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
Torkt's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up. Thank you.

Shortly after buying my truck I was hauling some materials and wishing I had d-rings up front. I was excited when I found this simple mod. I wanted to stay with the stock d-rings, felt it was more uniform. Jorge at Camelback parts here on the forums hooked me up. Got them last night and got to modding.

D-rings installed.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #395
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb1grfe View Post
Just installed mine last night by myself. Another post mentioned jamming a piece of wood against the backing plate to keep it from turning. Great advice. Drill the holes where instruction says. Tape the D-ring in place. Get the backing plate threads started push flush against the bed. Jam the piece of wood and shim against the plate. Take the tape off and tighten away.
A belated thank you. I'm finally gonna do this!
Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #396
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I would have taken a pic of it when I seen it. I took my truck in for service a month or 3 back and Chuck Hutton Toyota had a red Baja inside on the showroom floor. This Baja had 2 extra d rings already installed cept they were installed on the side of the fend well like half way up the flat surface. It was straight even with the front bolts that most of you are changing out. Hell seems hard to explain but I know that Toyota does put extra d rings in some trucks, was just wondering if anyone else had seen something like this.

I found pics!
Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-imagescaa84v9k.jpg

Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)-thca7ttosl.jpg

Well hell, this is the only way I know how to post pics here and in the first pic its not big enough for yall to tell where they put the front D rings. The 2nd pic gives an idea of how to measure and mount to the side.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #397
TacoJulian is on a distinguished road
Name: Julian
TacoJulian's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Knocked out this mod today, but I used a couple different parts/methods. The first time I laid eyes on the OEM rings in the back they immediately reminded me of something Dodge uses. I used to be a fleet manager and we had a bunch of Dodge Sprinter cargo vans for deliveries. In the back of the vans, they had a handful of D-rings as well. Here's the Taco stock ring on the left and the Dodge ring on the right-

You can order them directly from Mopar here for $3.48/ea + shipping. Just search for '2005' 'Sprinter Wagon' and use part # 05104500AA. Make sure to use the 'Wagon' addition as searching 'Sprinter' alone doesn't find the part. If you have trouble with their site (it often blows dog) you can also call them directly. I know I saw a number on their site before, but can't find it now. Their official name for the part is: 'Ring, Ring-Retainer'. What you see above is all you will get with no bolt, backing plate, etc. If you can find them via the site search they will list at $27.84, but that's for a quantity of 8 as that was the standard complement for each van. If you add it to your cart, it will only add one and you can adjust quantity from there. You can also order them through your local crappy Dodge dealer rather than pay s/h. After fighting with the site, I went this route and paid $5.34/ea + tax ($22.96 for four).

On the sanding/grinding down the bolt retention ridges, I used a hammer instead. I recall reading either in this thread or somewhere about another Tacoer using a press. I figured if that would work then so would a BFH. 1-1/16" socket on top and scrap 4x4 block underneath. 2lb sledge whacks the washer past the ridges and after the first one's done, there's a nice hole in the block so no more holding the damn thing while you hit it-

The washer does end up slightly cupped so I reversed it so the cup faced the bolthead for re-install. I figure this helped center the washer in the bed hole plus it allowed the bolt ridges to press back through the washer upon torquing. These rings also come with the right size hole so no reaming required-

Aligning ring where I want it while torquing (used 55lbs)-

Side complete-

Front complete-

Since I didn't have to do any grinding on the bolts or reaming the retainers it literally took 5 minutes per ring start to finish (5 mo old truck so no rust/frozen bolts). These rings can be pulled up by fingers once mounted, but they are very snug so no rattling issues whatsoever.

Anyhoo, I like these rings a lot because they're very similar to the OEM's, they're beefy as hell and even cheap to buy. Entire job took less than 40 minutes and that includes laying out tools, running over to Never Any Parts Available for a T-55 after I couldn't find mine ($3.33 + tax for impact) and cleanup. Thanks to all of the above posters who made this thing a walk in the park as I was able to set everything up in my head before ever grabbing a wrench!

Hey Bobbb, just wanted to thank you for the info there. I just finished installing these as well as per your writeup. Fitment is great, and the Dodge D-rings are way beefier, I am very happy with it. I did want to point out one thing however, you mentioned using a 1 1/16" socket, however I purchased one and it didn't fit. I don't know if they changed it on the 2013 model (which I have) however I had to exchange it for a 1 1/8" socket which fit perfectly. Other than that, got the Dodge rings for $4.20 each at my local dealer (special ordered them, got them in one day) and it literally took me 10 minutes to do the whole job, although I would recommend having someone to hold the D-ring with a wrench in it when tightening it to 55 ft. lbs (I followed your instructions on the torque, I hope it was correct, lol) otherwise the D-ring will spin as you tighten.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 AM   #398
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJulian View Post
I did want to point out one thing however, you mentioned using a 1 1/16" socket, however I purchased one and it didn't fit. I don't know if they changed it on the 2013 model (which I have) however I had to exchange it for a 1 1/8" socket which fit perfectly.
I imagine a 12 pt vs 6 pt socket could make a difference here
Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #399
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Maybe. You could also probably use a cheap pipe nipple if a standard size fits. I've used brass fittings for a non-destructive punch for knocking out bearing races.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #400
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoJulian View Post
Hey Bobbb, just wanted to thank you for the info there. I just finished installing these as well as per your writeup. Fitment is great, and the Dodge D-rings are way beefier, I am very happy with it. I did want to point out one thing however, you mentioned using a 1 1/16" socket, however I purchased one and it didn't fit. I don't know if they changed it on the 2013 model (which I have) however I had to exchange it for a 1 1/8" socket which fit perfectly. Other than that, got the Dodge rings for $4.20 each at my local dealer (special ordered them, got them in one day) and it literally took me 10 minutes to do the whole job, although I would recommend having someone to hold the D-ring with a wrench in it when tightening it to 55 ft. lbs (I followed your instructions on the torque, I hope it was correct, lol) otherwise the D-ring will spin as you tighten.
Glad you could use the info! I chose 55 lbs of torque because, at the time I did this mod, there didn't seem to be any solid consensus on what it should be. I was also unable to get any info from my dealer either (no surprise there). Since then there seems to be an opinion of 60 lbs roaming around so that may be the deal. I've had no issues whatsoever with these since doing them at 55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Possibly. I'm pretty sure the 1-1/16" socket I used was a 12-point.