LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installed D-Rings in the Bed (Pics)

Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #41
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
ya might mention that not all the time can you remove the bolts with a small ratchet ! it took a 4 ft breaker bar on mine ( 2007) and know several others had a stress to get them out ;-D

and that on the cheap free mod this link
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...r-500-3752.cfm

is a lot cheaper to get the D rings than getting the extra ones from toyota ( 5 for $5)
Very nice...tagged for later...
Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #42
slick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Security Forces, 2002-2005
slick_711's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
You have four D-rings?

There's the two on the bed floor by the tailgate... Then where are the other two?
Huh! I thought there were four, but I've only had it a week. Just looked, there are only the two. But there are holes drilled where I thought the other two should be (corners about 4-6" in from cab). Perhaps those holes are appropriately drilled and placed to accommodate additional D-rings?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #43
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^No, they're drain holes.

IMO, the most secure way is to add them to the bed bolts. I did.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #44
slick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslick_711 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Security Forces, 2002-2005
slick_711's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^No, they're drain holes.

IMO, the most secure way is to add them to the bed bolts. I did.
Ahh, I should have inspected more closely. I'll be following your advice then. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #45
EricS76 is on a distinguished road
EricS76's Tacoma Gallery
I did this a month ago but instead of taking the washer off the bolt, I ground the washer down flat on one side so it would fit over the D-ring. I also used the cheap D-rings from here: http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...r-500-3752.cfm 5 for $5 and they're good quality. Alot of other cool stuff on that site as well. I've used them a dozen times since I put them in with no bending or problems. This is a very easy and quick mod with lots of usefullness.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #46
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Posting to look up thread later, good info ^^
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #47
Believe
phynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphynyx38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
phynyx38's Tacoma Gallery
Good work. D-rings look great. Can't wait to do mine.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #48
cappo will become famous soon enough
cappo's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this easy mod today. The hardest part was grinding down rings so that the washer can be removed. Thanks for the tutorial. Too bad Toyota didnt think of it.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #49
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #50
War Damn Eagle!
Endurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the roughEndurozw is a jewel in the rough

Name: Zach
Endurozw's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I just did it yesterday too....didn't have a drill bit big enough to widen the hole so I just bought that titanium grinding bit for my dremel and went in a circle for like 30 min I almost needed a bigger ratchet - it took quite a bit of force to get one of those bolts out. All in all extremely easy to do though. Just used that grinding stone on the dremel and the rings ground down in about a minute.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #51
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
I installed them to hold down my tool box.

Here is a little more detailed writeup of what I did.
The box I used is manufactured by Contico, it's called the Tuff Bin. I added two D-rings to each side of the box to attach the box to the truck.

I have extra D-rings installed under the bed-bolts in the front and middle of the bed, a padlock was passed through the D-ring in the corners of the box and the front of the bed, this is all that was needed to hold the box to the bed.

With the box loaded and sitting on the bed mat it does not move. When I went trailing I attached two tie-downs to the other D-ring mounted on the box and attached these to the extra D-rings mounted under the bed-bolts in the middle of the bed.

I have no use for a box in my truck all of the time. When I go trailing or camping this works perfect. It holds my tools, floor jack and a small compressor. On vacation I also had all my carwash stuff in there along with all the tie-downs and bed-net I used to secure my load. Takes about two minutes to put the box in or take it out.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #52
HoosierTacoma08 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jared
HoosierTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up Neubs! One of the first mods I did to my taco, also one of the most useful!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #53
TheEh-Team.ca
buck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
buck's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed the $5 armysurplus D-rings and they are great. Also looks stock.

I ground down the ribs on the bed bolt and insterted the D-ring between the head of the bolt, and the washer (as others have done)... this way I didn't need to slice the stock washer.

Silly that it didn't come from the factory with the extra rings.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #54
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Still waiting on my army surplus rings. Very excited about this mod! I agree, it should have been standard on these trucks.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #56
Sold my Tacoma. Goodbye TW.
Neubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shedNeubs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Neubs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTacoma08 View Post
Nice write up Neubs! One of the first mods I did to my taco, also one of the most useful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
I installed them to hold down my tool box.

Here is a little more detailed writeup of what I did.
The box I used is manufactured by Contico, it's called the Tuff Bin. I added two D-rings to each side of the box to attach the box to the truck.

I have extra D-rings installed under the bed-bolts in the front and middle of the bed, a padlock was passed through the D-ring in the corners of the box and the front of the bed, this is all that was needed to hold the box to the bed.

With the box loaded and sitting on the bed mat it does not move. When I went trailing I attached two tie-downs to the other D-ring mounted on the box and attached these to the extra D-rings mounted under the bed-bolts in the middle of the bed.

I have no use for a box in my truck all of the time. When I go trailing or camping this works perfect. It holds my tools, floor jack and a small compressor. On vacation I also had all my carwash stuff in there along with all the tie-downs and bed-net I used to secure my load. Takes about two minutes to put the box in or take it out.
Nice mod! Looks great!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #57
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
I keep going through the D-ring threads and it just dawned on me- why is no one just attaching an extra pair of rails to the bed floor like the Nissan Frontier, and use the original bed cleats on the floor??
Also, those having a hard time finding these rings, just use the new part number I just found and use it instead of the old PT785-35054, use PT278-35054.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #58
Grease Monkey

Just ordered a set from a Georgia dealer yesterday that had some, got them delivered today! Used the newer designated part #PT278-35054 on google to find them. Sweet!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #59
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Quote:
Originally Posted by glandnut View Post
I keep going through the D-ring threads and it just dawned on me- why is no one just attaching an extra pair of rails to the bed floor like the Nissan Frontier, and use the original bed cleats on the floor??
I like this idea.. Hmm
Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #60
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
I like this idea.. Hmm
I think I even saw some deck rail kits in various lengths at trdparts4u.com in the tundra section, depending on what year model you choose, it would work with the Tacoma cleats. I might possibly do this soon. My measurements show the 5.5' kit to be perfect for a Taco longbed, the exact length of the ribs molded in the bed already. The width of my bedrails are 1 3/16" which looks to be the perfect width to slip into one of the valleys between the ribs in the bottom of the bed...