LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Good decision to buy?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #61
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Price seems fair to me, In my area ( new England ) the 2wd trucks dont hold value as stong as the 4wd. But in a area like AZ I don't think 4wd is as important .
Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #62
Nip it in the bud!
12PM4X4OR is on a distinguished road

Name: Fife
12PM4X4OR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09SR5TRD View Post
Some more help please...

Looking at a 2010 SR5 Ext Cab 4X4 (might have to change my user name ).

I've noticed some folks opt for 4WD & the TRD pkg. Is this really necessary and if so...why? Pros and cons would be very helpful. Again, new to these trucks but I thought the TRD was a nice option for none 4WD's.

Thanks in advance!

Marty
Sorry...I guess I wasn't clear; I am looking at a different truck. This one is a 2010 where as the other one is a '09. And the only difference is that the one I am looking at now is a 4WD.

So, why do some folks choose 4WD's w/TRD and some don't. Are there advantages & disadvantages of having a 4WD & the TRD (off-road pkg) in the same truck?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #63
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
The 2 really have nothing to do with each other. The 2 TRD packages (Sport or Off Road) are trim levels or packages....whatever you want to call them. The Off Road offers things like upgraded suspension, a rear locker, power outlet in the bed and some other things. 4WD is what it is, 4WD. You can get 4WD on any of the Tacoma packages. If you plan on driving off road or go where it snows often (maybe in the mountains of NM), I would recommend 4WD. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

A basic 4WD SR5 still has everything you need though.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #64
Nip it in the bud!

I think I need to do my homework on SR5 VS TRD VS 4WD. This 4X4 seems to have a lot of TRD options but w/o the TRD brand/sticker.

A lot more to these trucks than meets the eye. I'll get a handle on them sooner or later.

Thanks Brad!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #65
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
I see your in nm. I am as well. I recently bought a 2010 Trd OR access cab 6spd with 34,000mi's on it for 18,500$ the rear bumper has a big ding it it and the car has some very small paint chips here and there. But overall very good condition. Be patient. And when you see what you want jump on it. I should also list this was purchased from a Owner. Not dealer
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #66
Nip it in the bud!

William - Wow...small world. We're neighbors. I'm just south of you; LL.

This one has 39K and has more stuff than I'll ever need. Sub Woofer??? What the heck is this 55 year old going to do with that? The thing takes up half the back cab. Also has some pretty pricy wheels. I'd just as soon trade those off for something a lot more low key. Any way, I made the seller an offer. If he takes it fine, if not, I'll just move on to the next one.

Sounds like you landed a very good deal for a lot of truck. And you are right, much better to find a owner looking to sell than pay dealer mark ups.

Thanks for your post!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #67
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
William - Wow...small world. We're neighbors. I'm just south of you; LL.

This one has 39K and has more stuff than I'll ever need. Sub Woofer??? What the heck is this 55 year old going to do with that? The thing takes up half the back cab. Also has some pretty pricy wheels. I'd just as soon trade those off for something a lot more low key. Any way, I made the seller an offer. If he takes it fine, if not, I'll just move on to the next one.

Sounds like you landed a very good deal for a lot of truck. And you are right, much better to find a owner looking to sell than pay dealer mark ups.

Thanks for your post!
What kind of rims. I'd be interested in trading my stock Trd 16's for them if I like them.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #68
Nip it in the bud!

Here's a pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Good decision to buy?-001.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #69
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think I need to do my homework on SR5 VS TRD VS 4WD. This 4X4 seems to have a lot of TRD options but w/o the TRD brand/sticker.

A lot more to these trucks than meets the eye. I'll get a handle on them sooner or later.

Thanks Brad!
That's because newer TRDs have the SR5 package as well (just doesn't say it anymore....they used to). Then there are additional things like I listed above. The TRD Sport comes with slightly better suspension over SR5 and some cosmetic stuff including a fake scoop on the hood (skewp as you'll see thrown around on here a lot).

SR5s are pretty well equipped, I don't imagine you really need the TRD unless you're a serious off roader.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #70
Nip it in the bud!

Pretty confusing for this 1st timer...to toss another wrench into the mix; I guess Toyota also has a build your own truck link. So no telling what it would be called then.

Thanks for the insight Brad. Much appreciated! & no, not a serious 4 wheeler.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #71
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
That seems like a good price to me. The only thing I can find close to that around me are trucks with branded titles. I have been looking too, because the wife and I are thinking of rearranging some finances, and I've been looking for a first gen. To put it in perspective, when I finally broke down and bought a new truck after trying to find used and everything that was used low miles was very close to new price, or in some cases more than new. For example, in 2011 when I was looking I found an 09, DCSB, TRD OR 4x4 with 22k miles. It had a spacer lift and 285s, on aftermarket wheels. $34,000!!!!!
Good luck, and happy shopping!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #72
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
In February when I purchased my Tacoma from the dealer, a sales person asked if I was open to saving money on a used vehicle. I answered yes and was shown a 2009 4 wheel drive TRD priced at $30,000.
I said no thanks, I can purchase a new truck for less money. Window sticker on my 2013 TRD pre-runner was $28,800. Less money and 4 years newer.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #73
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
4wd apples to 2wd oranges though.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #74
Nip it in the bud!

The 2010 is exactly what I'm looking for, and if my offer is accepted, I will not turn it down. I think I've researched these trucks long enough to know, this one would be a great buy.

As for the 2009, I have already told the seller no. I just can't see paying 16K for any PU w/100+ miles. But again, that's just me, stuck in my old school mentality. Still a great truck for someone not needing or wanting 4WD.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #75
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Taco View Post
4wd apples to 2wd oranges though.
I know for a lot of people it is very important, which isn't the case for me. I recently sold a 4 wheel drive vehicle after 6 years of ownership and never needed or used the 4 wheel drive option. Currently own two Subaru's with all wheel drive that are supposed to be great in snow, but have never had either in snow in 5 1/2 years of ownership.
In my case I would rather have the better fuel mileage of 2 wheel drive.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #76
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The 2010 is exactly what I'm looking for, and if my offer is accepted, I will not turn it down. I think I've researched these trucks long enough to know, this one would be a great buy.

As for the 2009, I have already told the seller no. I just can't see paying 16K for any PU w/100+ miles. But again, that's just me, stuck in my old school mentality. Still a great truck for someone not needing or wanting 4WD.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, hope it works out.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #77
Karpaasi is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
Karpaasi's Tacoma Gallery
Another newbie here looking for similar advice. I'll spare everyone from another new thread. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I looked at an 05 PreRunner SR5 yesterday. One older, slow driving owner (or so he said), 43k, V6, 6-speed manual, documented service. Truck drove well and looked okay, but had its share of scratches and a quarter panel that had some minimal, yet noticeable damage. It looked more used than neglected. Never having owned a truck, maybe I'm a little too OCD about blemishes.

I'm in central NC. He wants $17, which I think is high. Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #78
Nip it in the bud!

Rob I wish I could answer that question or at least give you expert advise. Unfortunately I can't do either. However, my gut tells me its a little high.

Another question guys; does the 2012 taco come w/o SR5 badging?

Thanks,

Marty
Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #79
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
4wd is very useful for some ppl, 2wd is very practical for others who don't require 4wd to get around. It does snow where I'm at, & I've never had issues getting around in 2wd in my Prerunner. I live in Delaware & it is flat so the only reason I would need 4wd is if I went offroad in HILLS which I don't. For the individuals who feel like they have bigger balls having 4wd, if it's not NEEDED, why have it??
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #80
Nip it in the bud!

?Does the 2012 Tacoma 4WD TRD come w/SR5 tail gate badging?

Thanks!