1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good decision to buy?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 12PM4X4OR, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    12PM4X4OR

12PM4X4OR [OP] Nip it in the bud!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fife
    Vehicle:
    Wanna wax the steps @ the old folks home?
    none
    Newbie...Need help/advise...first time would be taco owner...Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes; I am thinking about purchasing a '09 PreRunner, Access Cab SR5/TRD "off-road pkg". Magnetic Gray Metallic. The truck is clean as a whistle and the dealership has supplied me with everything I've asked for. The Carfax, Auto Check and everything else I could think of are good. The only thing that bothers me are the miles (100k). From what I've read these things run long...

The price (after a lot of back & forth) is 16k out the door. 15K before closing costs.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Jul 7, 2013 at 3:00 AM
    12PM4X4OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Fife
    Vehicle:
    none
    I don't have a clue about these trucks. Seems like a great site w/savvy taco owners. I've made a hold payment for the truck. Plan to pick up on Saturday...Does anyone have an opinion...is this a good truck and a good buy. :confused:

Sorry about the poor quality pic. Its a pic of a pic off the pc (try saying that fast 3x). :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  3. Jul 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    4-banger or V6? Pricing is regional, so there is no way of telling whether you are overpaying without knowing where you are. I think that $15k is an awfully high price for a 2WD truck. You get a lot of bling in the PreRunner, but very little else. You can get a lot more truck for that kind of money.

Mike

4. Jul 7, 2013 at 3:57 AM
    12PM4X4OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Fife
    Vehicle:
    none
    Mike - Its a V6. And the truck is in Az.

I checked out the "how much did you pay" thread on this site and this price doesn't seem that bad. Where are these better deals because I've spent a lot of time searching. It also seems that if the miles are less than 100k the price goes through the roof. Even if listed at 80k miles.

Thanks!

Marty

5. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM
    Azntrutek

Azntrutek Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    08 TRDsport -Towpackage
    2".5 lift, HID head lamp and HID lights, color match tonneau cover and running board.
    Good prices ... Get it brother ....

6. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' reg cab 4x4 2.7L auto
    If you like the truck, it is in your budget then go for it.

Is it at a Toyota dealership? If so squeeze them for something. Free oil changes, a extended power train warranty, car washes, free all weather floor mats, bed mat or something.

Is your deposit refundable? If so squeeze hard. Play hardball with them. They really don't have to give anything because the truck will sell regardless but you can tell them you would prefer a 4x or less miles and tell them you found one that better suites you needs/wants 3-4 states away and you are willing to go get it.

Seems a little bit high for a 2wd with that mileage but you will have to be patient to find a really good deal. These trucks don't last long when they have a kick ass price on them.

7. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    I have lived in Arizona three times. I spent 4 years in Wickenburg, and two different locations in Yuma for 2 years each. During that time, I logged a lot of on and off road miles in several trucks. Where you live, the age of the truck is not nearly as important as the mileage and mechanical condition of the engine and transmission. In southern Arizona, there is nearly zero opportunity for rust problems. I miss it, a lot. Here in New England, I look at every car more than 5 years old as a probable rust bucket. It really is that bad. In my market, a slightly used Tacoma is a very good option. If I lived in the Phoenix area, I would never buy a 2WD Tacoma. Heck, I would never buy a 2WD truck, but that is a personal choice for me.

In your market, there are many thousands of clean trucks for sale for under $10,000, and a quick Craigslist search shows quite a few (Tundras and Tacomas included) under $5,000. For a 2WD truck in the Phoenix market, I think that $15,000 is about $10,000 more than you need to pay. That $10,000 will pay for an awful lot of refurbishment and operational costs.

We tend to get emotionally involved in these things, and we want to project the "image" that the crafty marketing people put into their advertising onto our own personalities. The truck is a tool, no different than any other. Pretend that you're shopping for a lawnmower. Don't spend too much money for newness and bling. Buy a useful tool, and save your money for something truly important.

Mike

8. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:54 AM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    Maybe I'm missing something but where does he say its 2WD?

9. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:57 AM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    PreRunner

10. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:57 AM
    bigef12

bigef12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4x4 V6
    Removed that stupid "Sport Bumper Trim"

PreRunner = 2WD

11. Jul 7, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    Odd. Why in the world would they put an offload package on a 2WD?

12. Jul 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    12PM4X4OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Fife
    Vehicle:
    none
    Matt - Not a Toyota dealership. Comes w/2 yr free oil change & tire rotation. 2 month warranty. 256 point inspection. All recalls up to date, in addition to auto check and carfax checking out great. BTW undercarriage looks great...no rust issues.

Yes deposit is refundable. If I don't like the truck 100% refund & I walk away.

Truck is loaded w/options & I don't do a lot of off-roading. I'm a 50 something old man and my hell raising days are long gone.:)

Like your negotiation strategies. Thanks!

Mike - Thanks for shooting strait with me. You are correct when you say we tend to get emotionally attached when it comes to stuff like this. That is the last thing I want. The other issue that is hard to come to terms with is being strapped down to a 3/4 yr payment for a 100k vehicle. Never in my wildest dreams would I have done something like this 25 yrs ago.

Again...where are these great deals you are referring to? The way these trucks have taken off reminds me of the housing boom in '05. Are we just getting caught up in the feeding frenzy and reading more into these trucks then they deserve?

Thanks again for your candor!

13. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    You're never going to find a 4 year old tacoma for $5,000.....unless it's beat to hell. Not everyone wants a project truck. I know I wouldn't.

$16,000 out the door for a newer tacoma seems like a pretty good price to me.

14. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:07 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Half the results when looking for vehicles on craigs list are fakes put up by car sales lots trying to get you out there. Don't beleive everything you see on there. Like I said above, you won't find a used tacoma for much better of a price, they hold value REALLY well.

15. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    There's tons of them on the road. Lots of people take their pre-runners off road.

16. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    chart92

chart92 Hailstate!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    McChord AFB, WA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Corolla S
    Wish I could fly down from Seattle and buy it. Can't find one that clean for under $24k even with 100k mi and 2wd. They think they're made of gold up here. Better off just buying new where I'm at. You are stealing the truck already. I'd take the deal.

Here's one for shits and giggles. 03 Access Cab with 50k miles 4x4. STOCK!!! The stealership wants $20k

17. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    slowmachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    Not everyone wants a project truck, but not every older truck is a project. If the OP really wants a showy 2WD Tacoma, I'm not going to talk him out of it. I would be looking for something like this:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3876869241.html

Toyota quality. Better engine. Very slightly larger inside.

18. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Price sure seems on the money to me. I wouldn't worry about the mileage at all if it's been maintained. I've had 2 Toyota trucks recently well north of 200k miles still running and driving perfectly. I actually just traded in one of those for another 05 Tacoma with 122k on it. I saw the service records and the physical condition of the truck and didn't flinch. Actually took out a loan for part of it too which is generally against my personal rules for older vehicles. The only thing I would be hesitant on would be the fact that it's a prerunner. That would never work for me here in New England. I have friends and family in places where 4WD is pretty much required to visit in the winter months. And I do occasionally go off road. Now that my FJ40 is gone my Tacoma will need to do a little of that too.

19. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    12PM4X4OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Fife
    Vehicle:
    none
    Brad - Used to be 60/40. Thanks to your comments its more like 85/15. Good stuff & big time thanks!

Cody - I agree...all taco's I've looked at similar to this start at ~22k. Even w/the miles. Although there doesn't seem to be a lot with this combo...is this good or bad? Again...don't know a lot about these trucks.

Ken - Your comment certainly reinforces what Brad & Cody stated...Thanks!

Mike - Again...thanks for your thoughts and the link to the 2000 Tundra. Nice looking truck.

20. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    beatupford

beatupford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 4x4
    If the service records look good, there is little to no wear, and you pay a trusted mechanic for a full inspection of the vehicle, and everything checks out, that's really a great deal.

I know I'm probably stuck in some twilight zine down here in Texas where 1 in 6 trucks sold in America are done so here, but trucks, and especially the Taco hold its value like a mf'er. The others do as well but they start higher and drop a little faster.

My grandfather is notorious for finding something nationally, going to get it, and then selling it here in Texas 2-3 years later without losing money.

Pay for the independent inspection especially since it's not at a Toyota dealership and know even in 5 years, your used Tacoma is still likely gonna be worth 10-11k.

Products Discussed in

To Top