1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bjmoose fabricates 2nd gen sway bar disconnect

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bjmoose, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose [OP] Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    OK, so I've wanted a detachable sway bar for a long time. You can't just disconnect the ends and leave them there - they'll interfere with suspension components at best and puncture CV boots at worst. But, maybe we can just disconnect both ends and swing them out of the way and fab up a little bracket to attach them to? Let's start with a few photos of the sway bar end in the wheel well. I've got mine on a ToyTec sway bar relocate bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, so let's disconnect both ends, and "swing it out of the way."
    [​IMG]
    Well, that didn't work out so well; once it's disconnected, it can't clear the spindle and UCA.

[​IMG]

So, if we want it disconnected, we're gonna have to remove an end. Here's one that someone else did for an FJ cruiser once:
    [​IMG]

OK, now before we go any further - I've tried to get two fabricators to build me one of these and neither one would take on the liability. If you want one of these, you're going to have to build your own. This mod, like all mods illustrated on TW is for informational purposes only. I don't recommend you to do this. Don't blame me if you die.

A lesser, but more real risk, is that you'll ruin your sway bar. I recommend you get a spare one to perform this on. I bought one off another TW member who was no longer using it.

You're gonna need an angle grinder, a grinding wheel and couple cutting wheels, some lumber (I used about 9' of 2x6) a bunch of fasteners, plumbers strapping, a length of 2"x3/16" steel, and a length of 1"x1/4" steel. I used a 4" grinder, but a 7" wouldn't be overkill for the job. The first thing I found out is: the sway bar is constructed of SOLID steel. It's not tubing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're going to cut the sway bar. Once it's cut - we don't want anything to move, so we can fab up a new disconnect able link in between them. If the end moves - we'll never be able to re-create the original shape. So we need it in a jig.

So, make up a STURDY wooden frame and rigidly strap the sway bar to it. Think about moving a potential neck-injury victim. You want more clearance around the side you're going to cut, and you want that end more rigidly supported. In addition to more lumber, and the plumbers tape, I used a lag bolt through the link-end.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind the sway bar is upside down. So whichever side you're looking at is on the opposite side. In this case - I'm working on the passenger side end.

[​IMG]

We don't have to be so uptight about the other end, but it does still need to be rigidly attached to keep the entire bar in place.

[​IMG]

OK, so, here's the basic concept: we're going to use the raw steel to make a "two part" I-Beam, half of which is attached to the main bar, and half is attached to the removable end. Top view will be something like this:

[​IMG]

Cross section like this, only with TWO pieces instead of one. When I took this picture, I hadn't cut the bar yet and I was thinking it was made of tubing. So my original concept was for a single thickness of this 3/16" strip. Ha.

[​IMG]

This yardstick shows the intended positioning a little more accurately. Before we start grinding anything, we'll want to change into real shoes. :-O

[​IMG]

Despite all my efforts, once I cut through the bar, the end shifted down a fraction of an inch as a result of the pressure from my tie-down strapping. I drove this 1x2 into position to return it as close as possible to the original orientation.

[​IMG]

In cutting the bar - now's when you find out it's SOLID STEEL. But once the bar's been cut - no going back. Success or scrap metal.

OK - here's the most important marking. I ran a yardstick along where the new I-Beam member is going to go and marked both ends as they'll be cut parallel to it so each end can be welded to one half of the the split I-Beam. These will be the next cuts with the grinder.

[​IMG]

Now, I've used the grinder to mark the line where the next cut will be

[​IMG]

Rough cut of one end completed:
    [​IMG]

Using that cut to confirm the measurement and direction of the next cut on the opposite end:
    [​IMG]

And, once that cut is made, again using the yardstick to show how far off the included angle is between the two cuts. We need these to line up!

[​IMG]

Here' I've cut the two pieces of 2" x 3/16" to length and started to use them as a jig since they represent the exact final thickness of the I-Beam that will be connecting these two pieces.

[​IMG]

Marking the "high point" we need to grind down to correct for flatness and orientation:
    [​IMG]

Here's the "double I-Beam" concept - two adjacent verticals, with a 1" x 1/4" top and bottom plate. The top plate will be welded to one side, and the bottom plate will be welded to the other side.
    [​IMG]

The "I Beam" pieces cut to final size
    [​IMG]

The completed sway bar cuts:
    [​IMG]

The verticals will be separate - one attached to the end, the other to the "main" part of the bar, and held together with two bolts. So when we drill (I used a drill press) we want to drill through both pieces at the same time - at least the pilot hole. Since I expect to weld the bolts into place on the inner piece, I made those holes slightly smaller, just barely large enough to accommodate the bolts. The other side, I used one "over" size on the holes to allow for easier alignment and fitment. Since the link-end is a 17mm nut, I obtained nuts and bolts in the 17mm size, so I'll only need one wrench to remove the sway bar end.

[​IMG]

The whole thing (mostly) in place. The bottom plate won't fit while the lumber jig is still in position. But that's OK. Only the vertical parts of the I Beam have to be welded (or at least tacked) while it's in the jig. The top and bottom plates can be welded on after.

[​IMG]
    I've mentioned before
    on TW - there are two things I don't do: I don't weld, and I don't perform jobs (like setting up gears, or adjusting valves) where the difference between success and failure is measured in thousandths.

So now, I just need to find someone to weld it up, and then I can do a test fitting.

To be continued…

2. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    mo13

mo13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    I've wondered if someone ever made a disconnectable sway bar or something like this its gonna be pretty awesome if this works and ima want one for sure. Subed for further info.

3. Jul 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    whoa. pretty ambitious! I'm curious to hear how it turns out.

4. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Nice writeup BJ, on a side note if anyone wants to buy my sway bar you can :p

5. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Make sure you tack them up well and then disassemble before you do the production weld or you will probably melt your bushing.
    Good job BTW. I had to put mine back on cause the wife said I have to if I want those pelfreybilt bumpers...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  6. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  7. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
  8. Jul 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    what does she know? :sandwich:

I am without a sway bar and my truck is super stable. it leans in hard corners but totally manageable and not neeeeeearly as much as any 4runner.

9. Jul 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah, I will take it back off for sure and hide it. It's mostly cause I left it in the garage :D she never said put it back on and leave it on ;)

10. Jul 7, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    sub'd

11. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  12. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Cool

13. Jul 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    From a strength perspective - I think I'm most concerned with the welding the fabbed pieces to the sway bar itself. One thought that occured to me was to drill a 1/2" hole in the I beam where it mates to the sway bar cut end to provide an additional linear surface where welding can occur.

14. Jul 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    I wanted to use "off the shelf" stuff. Angle tends to be square - e.g. 1" angle. If I could even find 2" angle iron, the top dimension would be WAY too wide so I'd end up running the entire length with a grinder, though I suppose that's possible.

As far as index marks for alignment - I figured the verticals would be tacked up while still on the jig - then removed from the jig for welding.

15. Jul 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Since the piece I cut is neither round, nor straight, finding or creating such a sleeve could be challenging. If you do it, post up pics.

16. Jul 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    No worries. Even if I don't end up taking some of these suggestions, they could be valuable to the next guy who comes along and tries to build it.

17. Jul 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    My concern here is that I am pretty sure that sway bars are made from spring steel and are heat treated. Welding on spring steel can be done but iirc, it is quite a process. You need to normalize the part (take out the temper), weld it, then re-heat treat it. If you just go and weld a piece of heat treated steel like that you will create an area that is very brittle and when you are twisting that piece of steel in two different directions it is likely to break

18. Jul 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    My thoughts exactly, and having a swaybar suddenly and unexpectedly break when pushed to its limit could cause worse stability issues than not having one to begin with.

19. Jul 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    This. They are made of spring steel so that the can flex and stay in the elastic portion of the stress-strain curve indefinitely. You will make it brittle by welding to it, in addition to using non-spring steel for your disconnect which will fatigue and deform/break over time.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and props for trying something new. But, that setup will be dangerous for yourself, passengers, and others on the road.

20. Jul 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    I noticed a pink sticker on my sway bar, and somebody mentioned that the OR has a softer swaybar. Maybe guys with sports should start picking up OR swaybars?

Products Discussed in

To Top