1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rack and pinion leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LTdangle, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jul 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    LTdangle

LTdangle [OP] Member

Member:
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Hey guys, I'm gonna start doing some repairs on my truck here pretty soon before I even get started I would like to make sure that I will have everything that I need (Rock Auto parts). So I've got some fluid collecting on the boot of my passenger side rack and pinion inner tie rod area. I should go ahead and mention that I've gotten so much help with the DIY threads that inform how to replace the lower ball joints and wheel bearings. I also bought some sway bar endlinks because these all need replacing anyhow. That being said, I took pics of my rack and pinion leaks and would like to get confirmation that I will need to go ahead and have the rack and pinion replaced. Please take a look at the pics below and provide some good feedback. Thanks you TW!:cheers:

In addition, I'm also going to replace all the U-joints in my drive shaft (might as well do this while changing transmission fluid) because the start of all these problems began with some shaking while driving. Most of the threads I've been reading point towards the parts I've got or getting am getting. However, when I finally get all of this done, I still believe that I will need to do some more wrenching...I just don't think all of these repairs (that need to be done anyways) will fix the shaky ride.

photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    photo 5 (1).jpg
    photo 4 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Jul 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    LTdangle

LTdangle [OP] Member

Member:
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    :help:
    Hey guys I could really use some validation here. I know there's been at least 140 views in a week, feel free to talk to me. So I'm curious now as to whether or not I just needed to get tie rod ends or have the whole rack replaced. I definitely don't want to do something on it that didn't need. It would just make my day to get a remanufactured part put in place of an old one that was working just fine. Anyhow, please ask me questions...more info?...more pics? What do I need to do to get some feedback TW?

3. Jul 14, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    It does look like your rack is seeping from the end seals. If you have never changed out a rack before maybe you should leave it to the pros. If you look at it that it's all nuts and bolts go for it. Just a few tips to help out. First be sure to lock the steering wheel in the straight ahead position and don't turn it when you have the rack disconnected or you will break the clockspring for the airbag. A bungee cord tied between your steering wheel and your brake pedal works fine. Second measure between your front tires to give you a baseline to set your toe so you don't burn off your front tires on the way to the alignment shop. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Products Discussed in

To Top