1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What happened to my paint???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cbengineer, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jul 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    cbengineer

cbengineer [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TX Pro
    Old man emu 885's w/dakar leaf packs, Weathertech Floor Liners and Window Deflectors, Wet Okole Seat Covers, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, Fujimoto Drain Valve, Plasti Dipped Chrome Ring on TRD rims
    Went and washed my truck this morning and noticed some spotting on my tailgate. Ive been gone for about 2 months for some military training and this wasn't there before, i also had just waxed it before i left. At first i thought it was tree sap so I scraped it with my finger and next thing i know I'm down to primer:( Any ideas? Also this may be a long shot, but would toyota fix it under warranty my tacoma is only about 8 months old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. Jul 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    12PM4X4OR

12PM4X4OR Nip it in the bud!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fife
    Vehicle:
    Wanna wax the steps @ the old folks home?
    none
    Where was the truck parked while you were away? Did anyone have access to the truck while you were away? Kinda looks like someone accidently splattered something on it, or maybe it was done during transport to your dealership and a cheap makeover was done or tailgates were switched.

If it is only surface stuff you should be able to buff it out.

Good luck with that and BTW...thanks for your service!

3. Jul 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    cbengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TX Pro
    Old man emu 885's w/dakar leaf packs, Weathertech Floor Liners and Window Deflectors, Wet Okole Seat Covers, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, Fujimoto Drain Valve, Plasti Dipped Chrome Ring on TRD rims
    Parked in the garage right after i waxed it which is what is confusing me. I drove it for about a week till i washed it today so its possible it happened within the week but it never caught my eye until today. Also it appears to have eaten through the clear coat from what i can tell. Thanks though i appreciate it.

4. Jul 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Watari06V6

Watari06V6 Faster than a speeding ticket

Member:
    Wounded Knee
    Vehicle:
    TRD-V6-SR5-06
    damn look like acid/chemical burn it melted it. get it fixed/replaced or rust will take over. check your paperworks or call your dealer re: warranty. also check your insurance. weigh your options and good luck!

5. Jul 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    cbengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TX Pro
    Thanks that's what I was thinking

6. Jul 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    NewRider

NewRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    also, it may be a longshot here but were you using a cheap wax... i've never seen such bad damage but some waxes are really shitty....

7. Jul 9, 2013 at 4:12 AM
    cbengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TX Pro
    Nope meguiars top shelf and I don't think it's from the wax since its in between the lettering where I wouldn't have been able to get with the wax

8. Jul 9, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    monstertaco12

monstertaco12 Quack Addict

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Off Road
    Fill it in with some touch up paint and clear coat it before it rusts and you end up having to get more than that one spot redone

9. Jul 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    cbengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TX Pro
    Ill be going to the dealership this weekend so ill hold off on the touch up so they can actually see it

Products Discussed in

To Top