1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How is the 6 spd standard on the Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shotgunshooter3, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dec 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Question for all 6 speed drivers... When coming out of first gear from a dead stop, when you are almost at the top of the clutch travel does the clutch itself feel like it suddenly fully engages ?? Also, when the weather goes from warm during the day to cool or cold at night and you drive at night, does the clutch sometimes develope a bit of condensation on it and the trucks clutch engagement is a bit jerks for the first couple of shifts until the clutch warms and dries up?? This has been bothering me a lot and just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it

2. Dec 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM
    talofox

talofox Northwest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Port Angeles, WA/Minot,ND
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB 6spd
    1. No
    2. Sometimes when its a bit cold out the pedal squeaks. If it's real cold out, -10 or colder, the clutch pedal comes back up extra slow the first couple times after I press it.

3. Dec 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM
    Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Central, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport / Long Bed
    None
    The only reason why I didn't buy one, is because the TRD Sport wouldn't come with the Entune system. Dunno if I'm starting to regret it or not...

4. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM
    Sledhauler

Sledhauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    MD
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4X4
    No, but mine seems smoother in the colder weather. I'm just over 10k, so idk if its just now getting broken in or if weather plays a role.

5. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Can't say that I've noticed this on mine. One thing I have noticed is that the colder it gets, the smoother it shifts. The old MT90 must be ready to be replaced.

6. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    Frogging

Frogging Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DEREK
    ORLANDO, FL
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 4.0 2wd
    ASV vent visors LED tailgate brake light Weathertech floor mats Wish list:Maxtrac Spindles New leaf pack Extended rear shocks Braided Brake lines Konig countersteer Anodized bronze 285/70/18 tires NST Crank lite pulley setup XTP intake manifold spacer Neoprene seat covers Fiberglass fenders Power sliding rear window 1" Spacers for rear wheels
    I would try the motor/ trans combo in any body style. it doesnt have to be the DC and this will get you a feel for what it is. maybe easier to find on a lot, then you can order yours with knowledge of how it will be.

7. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    ONALL4

ONALL4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2004 V6 4X4
    I've always driven manual and still have a stick mustang but not as a dd. In the morning when you just have to fight traffic and want to grab a coffee auto is more enjoyable You can hold the coffee. If you live in the country with less traffic then it's a diff story.

8. Dec 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    ONALL4

ONALL4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2004 V6 4X4
    Cost wise down the road is probably about the same, if you drive it up to 200k-300k miles. For std you'll probably go through 2-3 clutches if you have to bring it to a mech or dealership will cost 6-700 bucks or with Auto upfront cost of 800$ plus 3-4 transmission fluid replacement. Probably run you about the same at the end.

after 300k, you'll probably trade/sold the truck its beaten up eventhough the engine is still running strong the rest of the truck may need costly repair.

9. Dec 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Jeeze .... I really hope there's nothing wrong with my clutch or something ... I don't understand it, I've been driving stick since I started driving and all four four of my previous cars were stick shift and now the truck has 18k on it now... I read another thread on here about somebody with a 4 cylinder taco with nearly the same issue as me .. Maybe my clutch pedal needs to be adjusted and my slave cylinder needs to be bled? I'm at a loss here, but 90% of the time the truck is fine.... What is the mt90 trans fluid?? Is that Toyota fluid or another brand?? Thanks

10. Dec 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    high voltage taco

high voltage taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monticello, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 speed 4x4
    so far, URD throwout bearing kit(sleeve), weathertechs, 285/70/17's on Ion 17x9 and OME 885s and Dakars and nitro sports. BHLM
    Not sure about that. I towed around 12k with mine and it done fine. Wasn't the easiest to stop but it pulled it. My 06 Tundra with the 5 speed auto would have burnt the tranny out trying to pull that much that distance and through all the stop lights. I'd rather pull with a straight shift any day. More control and use the tranny to help with braking. Plus your not gonna burn the manual up getting it too hot. Auto+excessive heat=failure. I've never had a manual fail me in the 16 years I've been driving them. Just my 2 cents from my experience. By the way OP, I like the 6 speed myself. Mine shifts great, just can't treat it like your racing all the time. But then even mustangs and Camaro's trannys don't last long treated like that either and their kind of built for that sort of thing.

11. Aug 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM
    FFMast

FFMast Custom Dude

Member:
    North Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's . Add-a-Leaf. Interior LED's. Husky floor mats. Thule rack. Various little things...
    Love mine. No issues after MT 90 fluid replacement. 115k

12. Mar 24, 2019 at 11:01 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    Do the 2014-2015 Tacoma still develop the throwout bearing squeak or is that problem fixed?

Products Discussed in

To Top