1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hauling a trailer 2000 miles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yacoltyota, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jul 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    Yacoltyota

Yacoltyota [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2013 sport spruce mica
    So like the title says I'm going to be moving soon from Washington state to Oklahoma City, I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer my belongings.

First thought is u haul but I don't have much stuff, so I thought maybe a trailer. I looked and a 6' x 12' trailer is way cheaper then the u haul itself.

Does anyone think this would be crazy to try this? Does anyone have experience with this size trailer, and if so how does it handle behind the truck.

Just a little info it's a dual axle enclosed trailer and the suggested loaded weight would be around 4500 pounds

Thanks for any input

2. Jul 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    my friend bought a trailer and used it to move. he sold it for exactly what he bought it for when he was done.

maybe?

3. Jul 9, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    cjcarner

cjcarner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 6MT DCSB
    Rhino Rack roof rack with an Inno fairing, Snugtop Rebel cap
    I actually just did a move very similar. I moved from savannah, ga to Arizona with a 7x14 enclosed trailer. Weighed about 5k lbs. wasn't exactly fun, but worked just fine. Make sure you have a brake controller unless it has surge brakes! Good luck!

4. Jul 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    CaliBluTaco

CaliBluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathanael
    Ohio USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper, Brute Force Fab HC Rear Bumper, All Pro Kickout Sliders, Pelfreybilt IFS Skid and Mid Skid, Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement, ICON Ext.Travel Coilovers w/ 14"x 650# Eibach coils and custom valving, LR UCA's, OME Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Pack w/ All Pro U-Bolt Flip, Icon 2.0 Aluminum Series Extended Travel rear shocks & Wheelers Super Bumpstops. 285/70R17 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03 Tires on 17x8 Pro Comp 7089's, ENGO E12000s Winch w/ Synthetic Rope, Locker Anytime Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod, and more...
    I've towed cross country a few times in my tacoma with the factory tow package. I have a 6x12 dual axle enclosed trailer rated for 7000lbs. I would definitly get a brake controller for the trailer brakes. I also have a weight distribution and anti-sway setup which is great. I've hauled right around 6500lbs before from east coast to west coast. No problems at all. Tows like a dream :D

Just drive safe and try to downshift as much as possible going downhill. Save your brakes so their there when you need them.

5. Jul 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I just went about 1500 miles with a similar trailer. Got about 12mpg and no issues.

EDIT: Though I do have a brake controller and the trailer had electric brakes.

6. Jul 10, 2013 at 3:33 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Not crazy at all, OP. Brake controller as people have said. Be prepared to get about half the gas mileage you normally get, but that's life towing.

7. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I've towed the 6x12 a couple times. Loaded down, it'll be fine as long as you aren't in a hurry and distribute the weight properly. The 6x12 size fits pretty good behind the truck and handles well at speed with the double axle.

Those uhaul trailers are heavy tho, so make sure you don't overload yourself...

By the way, the uhaul trailer has its own self contained brakes so you don't have to worry about a brake controller. The only thing you'll need is a 7pin to 4pin connector for the trailer lights.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  8. Jul 10, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Yacoltyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2013 sport spruce mica
    Thanks for the replies, I will defiantly consider this as an option. Just wasn't sure about hauling that far.

I keep telling my father in law that the taco can handle it but he thinks I'm full of bs might have to do it just to prove him wrong:D

9. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Oh sorry I didn't see it was a U-Haul. Those use surge brakes. You won't have any issue. Tow away! As long as the trailer is under 7 thousand lbs or so, no issue.

10. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    back in Feb-2002, i used a 6x12 uhaul from GA to ND, roughly 1900 miles in a 1998 4runner. took forever and ended going thru a blizzard in jamestown, nd.

the ga mountains going up 85 from atlanta took forever since it takes forever going up (i kept the semi's company uphill) and scary going down (i dont think i never let it get out of 2nd/3rd gear downhill).

its all about being the ole granny driving. take your distance time and add 25-50% for time alotment. if you do that, you will have less stress about getting somewhere.

edit : also dont be an idiot like i was, forgot to lock the trailer to the hitch when loading. about 3/4 way thru the loadout, the front end lifted and promptly went scraping up the back door and was stop by the back window wiper before going thru the back window itself.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  11. Jul 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Make sure you load your heaviest stuff towards the tongue and over the tires and keep the lighter stuff from the tires towards the rear doors. That will keep the trailer from swaying to and fro like a whip.

Check your connections, the plug, the safety chains and the ball, whenever you stop to take a leak or stretch.

Make sure to get a padlock for the trailer door a locking pin for the receiver hitch and probably the ball clamp, otherwise if you stop overnight your shit may be gone!

12. Jul 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Do it...you'll be fine. If I can do it in 100 degree South Florida summers, you'll be fine.

13. Jul 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    I towed a uhaul trailer, think it was the 5x8, from Oklahoma City to Richmond 2 months ago. Truck pulled it like it wasnt even there. Got about 13mpg doing like 75-80 the whole way. I think the total weight was like 3,300#. On a side note, what are you doing in OKC? i lived there for about 10 years.

14. Jul 11, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Glad I found this thread. Well Im going to be moving from Alaska to TN in Nov. Has anyone towed a trailer on the ALCAN during the winter? I purchased a trailer (7x12 dual 2500lb axels) and will probably load it with 3K lbs. total weight should be about 4500 LBS. What do yall think? Any tips or suggestions?

p.s I will be leaving at the end of Nov/Beginning of Dec

15. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    Yacoltyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2013 sport spruce mica
    I am transferring there thru my work, they are paying for it but if I can make it cheap
    I keep the remanding balance:)

16. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Actually, and this is very important...Load the heaviest stuff over the WHEELS, not the tongue.

If all the weight is on the tongue, you will have NO steering almost in any slippery conditions. You want a balanced trailer. If too much weight rear of the trailers wheels the trailer will be unstable and unsafe as well. You want the weight evenly balanced with a slight emphasis towards the tongue.

Agreed on the rest though.

17. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    I towed a 4k lb uhaul for a move to northern canada. In places there was 6 inches of hellish slush on the road etc, some bad conditions. If the road is snowy, put it in 4x4, it will really help your towing. I switched in and out of 4x4 a lot and actually really had no problem at all. Watch your corners and down hills so you dont wag/jackknife your trailer as well. In deep snow and the slush I never really felt unsafe when in 4x4.

Products Discussed in

To Top