1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 Auto Transmission Problem?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scott K, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    Scott K

Scott K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Amsoil Synthetic ASL 5w30 Oil, Amsoil ATL Fuel Efficient ATF, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in front/rear diffs & transfer case.
    I apologize, I've done a search and I can't find anyone with what I believe is the same problem as I describe below, hence the new specific thread.

I've had about 5 drain/refills of Amsoil ATL Low Viscosity transmission fluid to slowly work the old Toyota WS Transmission fluid out and I'm sure I'm about 95-98% Amsoil ATL now.

The past few weeks I've noticed a problem that I've never noticed before up until recently. When the truck stops, sometimes I feel a bit of a bump sort of like if you drove over something but you were stopped but you're not driving almost like the transmission might be downshifting while stopped. THEN, the truck does the typical want to lurch (but I keep the brakes pinned so it doesn't lurch forward, as it always has), and when I press the gas pedal from a stop again, I feel that little bump which is kind of like a cross between a bump and a delay before the truck takes off. Before the little bump, the truck moves, after the bump, the truck moves, but I feel it about half a second after engaging the gas pedal say so it doens't feel indicative of slipping or anything. It seems to be more prominent when the engine & transmission warms up to temp as well. I have been using the A/C off & on these days obviously but I haven't noticed a difference whether it's on or off. This little bump seems to be present during around 40-50% of my stop & take offs. If I feel the little bump upon stopping, I feel it taking off as well, if I don't feel it while stopping, I don't feel it upon take off. Sometimes if I feel it on stopping, and I feather it right on start up, I don't feel it on take off. The only reason I asked is because I haven't noticed this before. The last time I had a drain/fill was maybe 15,000 miles ago and I was wondering if I should just go back to Toyota WS and do a full Toyota WS flush this time. I however haven't heard of anyone with any real problems with Amsoil ATL in Toyota WS recommended transmissions - it's supposedly a really good fluid.

Sorry - double cab long box 4x4 V6 with 5 speed auto obviously. Had it since about 70,000 miles, I have about 120,000 miles now.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    #1 - These transmissions are extremely sensitive to fluid level. There is a very specific procedure for getting the level correct. It is outlined on this forum here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/63851-how-drain-refill-automatic-transmission.html

#2 - What makes you think that Amsoil ATL is any better than Toyota WS?
    ALL transmission fluid is primarily synthetic. It is more of a hydraulic fluid than it is a lubricant. Though it does have lubricating qualities, it is extremely highly detergent, and does not suffer from the same issues that break down motor oil over a relatively short time (combustion blowby, condensation, etc...).

3. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    It has been reported in several threads that this bump is from the Slip Yoke Binding on the drive shaft...

Products Discussed in

To Top