Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma, vs Frontier, "Just My Own Observation"

Old 07-12-2013, 03:56 AM   #21
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
I don't think it is a good comparison at all. We are talking 2008 vs 2013. Thats 5yrs ..Also a 2wheel drive will be smother than a 4x4. Lets not compare apples and oranges.
I said comparable equipment!!!

The Nissan was a 4x4
Old 07-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #22
Mustard Tiger
OrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
OrlPreds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Nissan: Transmission problems. I know because I experienced them on two different vehicles. Enough to make me never buy another Nissan.
This seems to be the issue with Nissans. A co-worker just traded his Nismo Frontier in on a new Tacoma. 80k on the Nissan and the tranny was acting up. Im not sure if this is normal replacement for a clutch, but he seemed to think not.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #23
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought my latest Tacoma, my 2nd one. I couldn't buy the Tacoma before at least giving the Frontier a look, so I drove a 2013. It drove very nice, felt fantastic in fact, but it was horrible looking and feeling inside. The Tacoma is so much better laid out and functional. The Nissan also looked and felt cheap inside, like it was a 1995 vehicle. I also do not like the exterior look to the vehicle, but that is me. Like I said, it drove very nice indeed, but not any nicer than the Tacoma. In the end, the Nissan would have saved me a lot of money, like $3k, for a comparable package, but the Tacoma is worth it.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #24
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
also. #6? idk how that is true. (i have not drove a frontier so idk first hand) but dosen’t the taco have the best in class stoping/braking? if there is a night and day difference and OP says the frontier is better. Then how does the taco have the best stopping?

also I have first hand experience stopping 3,000 to to maybe 3,300 and even slamming on the brakes at 75mph the taco brakes pretty damn good! Not much harder then without a load, and trailer does NOT have trailer brakes you can tell it’s bake there when doing an emergency braking but it’s not bad. FYI, i had a car cut me off and put on it’s brakes hard. The cop that was kinda in my bind spot next to me then got in front of me and pulled them over.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #25
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
loaded my riding mower into my tacoma today and no squat or budge at all. So I will have to say mine seems to handle a heavy load fine.
Congratulations! Either you have the world's lightest riding mower, or you are the only individual who has ever purchased a Taco with good springs from the factory! Either that or you're full of shit.

Quote:
same with auto window down both fronts on my are auto. But only controlled on drivers side. Unsure if aftermarket system used but I know drivers side is auto from factory
Once again. No. Your passenger isn't auto down unless you modified it to be.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #26
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
the tacoma is a tin can. its built cheap and skinny. but its proven to run...
when you feel the door of even a ford ranger, it feels like a heavy truck door. not our trucks. the tailgate on a ranger prob weighs twice as much as ours. but my ranger was always breaking down even with only 70,000 miles on it. fords dont run like toyotas...

that said, i feel like small mid sized pick up trucks are engineered and built for people who haul stuff occasionally. not really doing heavy lifting all the time. which is why they suck with heavy loads, but drive so nice empty. if your going to be doing heavy lifting all the time, then a full size pickup is for you.

for all the highway driving i do with sporting gear, surf boards, snow boards, recreation the tacoma is a perfect fit and ride. my ranger used to beat the piss out of me. if i was working a truck hard or moving heavy stuff all the time, id have an F150 or tundra....
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Congratulations! Either you have the world's lightest riding mower, or you are the only individual who has ever purchased a Taco with good springs from the factory! Either that or you're full of shit.

lol what are you so upset about?

Frontier is a nice truck. I don't think they look bad either.

Who cares about disc brakes? The drum brakes in the Tacoma work great and give it best in class stopping power.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #28
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
I actaully really like Nissan's products, and my family and friends have had great luck with them. The first car I drove regularly was my Dad's '93 hardbody pickup, and that thing ran forever. I actually agree with most of your points, and it's great to see someone step out of the box a little bit and objectively compare the two. It doesn't seem like you had your Toyota glasses on or anything during your comparison.

My roommate has a 2005 Frontier LE 4x4, and my Dad has a 2005 Xterra SE 4x4, both with the 4.0 VQ. Having driven and ridden in both, IMO, their engine is MUCH beefier than mine. I think a lot of it is the tuning (more torque down low, different transmission gearing), but the Nissans just move when you step on the pedal. I know the specs are pretty comparable, but from a strictly feel perspective, I like the VQ engine better. I also think my Dad's Xterra tows better than my truck does. Both of those motors have over 100,000 miles on them without burning any oil, smoking, or any noises. I can speak for my Dad more than my roommate, but he plans on being buried in his Xterra. It's his favorite car he's ever had, and it almost convinced me to get an Xterra Off-Road. His Xterra also gets better mileage than my Tacoma (he drives like an old man these days though).

That being said, I hate the Nissan interior (not even close in my opinion). I get the look they're going for, but the seats aren't as comfortable, I hate the shifter/center console, and the plastic is hard and scratches easy. The tailgate lock would be good feature, but I much prefer the exterior styling of the Tacoma to the Nissan. The Tacoma is also quieter as far as road noise in my opinion, and definitely holds its value better. I just don't get the dogging on Nissan...they make a great product, and the Frontier/Xterra is a very capable vehicle.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #29
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

I had good springs till i started taking my truck off road. also i have got a lot more miles on the truck since then. but when i first got my truck, it had 25k and I could put 300# to 400# and it would not sag like at all. now it does sag with less.

I think if i would not have started to off road at all other then for hunting,they would be holding up better and not sagging as much.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post

Who cares about disc brakes? The drum brakes in the Tacoma work great and give it best in class stopping power.
this. idk what op is talking about when he says it is night and day. and that the taco would not stop the load he had.

If you read my other post about it, the taco stops good with a load behind it.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #31
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Taco + Frontier

I've never driven or ridden in a Frontier, but I did park next to one at the beach last month. So now I am an expert. Mine is an '06, not sure what year the Nissan was. Based purely on appearance, I am a happy Toyota customer.

And i agree with B737 because I use my Tacoma for similar purposes. My dive buddy has a Ford Ranger access cab and although a solid build for a small truck, it just doesn't compare to the Toyota. If i wanted to carry heavy loads I would get a full size truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Tacoma, vs Frontier, "Just My Own  Observation"-taco-vs-frontier-june-13.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #32
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Congratulations! Either you have the world's lightest riding mower, or you are the only individual who has ever purchased a Taco with good springs from the factory! Either that or you're full of shit
Wow! Who pissed in your Cheerios? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the a while back toyota starting putting 4 leaf packs on the sr5/sport but left the 3 leaf packs on the OR.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #33
Taco2112 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Taco2112's Tacoma Gallery
I used to own a Frontier, and now have my Tacoma. I had my Frontier for 3 years and put around 50,000 miles on it. I just bought my Taco in May. I had a 2005 Nismo off road Frontier with the 4.0 v6. I loved that truck, I got rid of it when gas was at it's peak, and bought a Scion TC and then a Toyota Camry. Ever since I had got rid of the Nissan I missed it. I missed having a truck. I will not make that mistake again so the Taco is here to stay for a very long time. Now to compare the two truck's....

I loved my Nissan, and it was a great truck. I kept it stock, the Nismo off road package was nice. That truck went anywhere and through anything and never let me down. I bought that truck when I was 19 and was very hard on it. I never had one problem with it. The Nissan had a lot of power, was great off road for a stock vehicle, and was fun to drive.

The Tacoma will hold its value better. I like the interior of the Taco better, and think its a better looking truck all around. The Taco has a lot more aftermarket parts. My Nissan was a pig on gas, it sucked gas down like a full size. I know the v6 Tacoma's are getting better mpg than what I got in my Nissan.

The Nissan had more power (I have a 4 cyl, and my Nissan was a 6 but I work for Toyota and have driven many v6 Taco's), The Nissan's stock suspension was better, The Nissan's bed was more durable.

All in all both are great truck's and i really dont think you can go wrong either way.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
Bearcoatoffroad is on a distinguished road

Name: Barry
Bearcoatoffroad's Tacoma Gallery
My last truck was an '04 Frontier 4x4 Off Road package, current is an '07 TRD DCSB. Not the best or current comarison, but I literally had 0 issues with that Nissan. In fact, if it was a 4door I would still have it. Tacoma, I got it a little wet playing around off road and the ADD actuator filled with water and disabled the 4x4, it had bad pinion bearings(when I bought it) that i had to replace, springs squeek so bad it irritates passengers, 3-400lbs in the bed and it bottoms out on the freeway overpasses, starter got wet and almost died (would intermittently not start until it appearently wore away the rust inside?).
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post

I'm not upset . What he posted was inaccurate, so I corrected it. And I agree, our brakes kick ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
this. idk what op is talking about when he says it is night and day. and that the taco would not stop the load he had.

If you read my other post about it, the taco stops good with a load behind it.
Same as above. Our brakes rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
Wow! Who pissed in your Cheerios? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the a while back toyota starting putting 4 leaf packs on the sr5/sport but left the 3 leaf packs on the OR.
Fortunately it was just bananas and milk in my Cheerios this morning . You are correct about the 4 leaf pack being recently added. His 2010 has the 3 leaf pack, and even if he got the TSB done the payload in these trucks is pretty abysmal. Not that I'm complaining, because I rarely have stuff in my bed.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #36
SkottK62 is on a distinguished road
SkottK62's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2014 Toyota DCSB on order. Couldn't get a 2013 order but thats another story for another thread. Anyway why did I choose a Tacoma over a Frontier? Nissan has a very good product. Very comparable in many ways. I've test driven them but there are two main reasons I chose the Tacoma. The exterior look and reliability. I just like the overall look of the Tacoma in general more so than I do the Frontier. When it comes to reliability Toyota has been doing it longer than Nissan and better. Those were the two biggest reasons that made me decide.

I will say though that Toyota better step it up because Nissan is catching up fast and could overcome if Toyota doesnt start leading at a faster and better pace. Just my 2 cents anyway.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
You forgot that the Frontier's aftermarket support is practically non-existent compared to that of the Tacoma.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #38
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkottK62 View Post
I have a 2014 Toyota DCSB on order. Couldn't get a 2013 order but thats another story for another thread. Anyway why did I choose a Tacoma over a Frontier? Nissan has a very good product. Very comparable in many ways. I've test driven them but there are two main reasons I chose the Tacoma. The exterior look and reliability. I just like the overall look of the Tacoma in general more so than I do the Frontier. When it comes to reliability Toyota has been doing it longer than Nissan and better. Those were the two biggest reasons that made me decide.

I will say though that Toyota better step it up because Nissan is catching up fast and could overcome if Toyota doesnt start leading at a faster and better pace. Just my 2 cents anyway.
If the Frontier aesthetics were amped up, I bet it would give the Tacoma a run for its money. The 2 main issues I have with the Frontier are the ugly interior (and I like the Tacoma seating position better) as well as the exterior heft. The Frontier needs to lose a few pounds here and there and I think it would then be a pretty clean vehicle (like the 1st gen Frontiers). But Nissan seems to have beefed up the body even on the newest Xterras which look like the older Xterras had a reaction to a bee sting.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
You forgot that the Frontier's aftermarket support is practically non-existent compared to that of the Tacoma.
I hate their frontierclub forum too. People on there as nice/same as TW, but the forum layout sucks and no one has any good build threads except a few here and there.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #40
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
I almost bought a Frontier, but I liked the look of the Tacoma better! I will say, my brake pedal does feel a little spongy, but my brakes are great! The truck stops on a dime! I have the 2013dclb Tacoma and it came with the 4 leaf pack.I also think the interior of the Tacoma is more modern, compared to the Frontier, and the stereo is way better with the JBL system with entune and factory subwoofer.I like the look of the extended cab Frontier's more then the 4door Frontier's.I know it's a matter of preference, but I don't like or understand why the back door windows on the Nissan aren't full glass, why is there a bar breaking the window up and shortening the width of the window? I still like Nissan though, I just think the Tacoma is meaner and more modern looking compared to the Nissan.Plus, all my friends swear by Toyota, I have heard their reliabilty isn't what it used to be, I'm hoping that's not true! time will tell, if I start having problems with my Tacoma, I'll get a Frontier, until then I love my Tacoma!!!