1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma, vs Frontier, "Just My Own Observation"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by oldracer, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jul 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    oldracer

oldracer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    This isn't the usual Tacoma vs, Frontier thread; just my observations after driving the Nissan, for a week. Had to have some paint work done; so I rented a 2013 Frontier. Frontier is equipped comparable to my Tacoma.

I have a 2008 Tacoma, TRD, Off Road, 4x4, 4.0, Auto. Only 34,000 miles.
    Frontier 2013, 7,400 miles, 4.0, Auto, about same trim package.

1. Interstate driving pretty much equal

2. Rough secondary roads, Frontier is sooo smooth, compared to Tacoma

3. Frontier has a real manly tailgate, WITH A LOCK. I bent my Tacoma, loading dirt bikes. Tacoma is light and tinny. Take a look under the tailgate protector on your truck. I had to reinforce the Tacoma one.

3.2 Had to haul some heavy off road, heavy equipment parts, several hundred lbs; they were loaded on the tailgate, with a forklift then slid ahead, to close the gate. Frontier handled it well. Of course after I unlocked the tailgate. I say this because I had a Tacoma tailgate stolen. No lock to lock.

4. The above mentioned, off road equipment parts would have set the Tacoma down on the rear bump stops; Frontier, no noticeable height difference. Three full rear spring leafs, plus the overload ply, seemed thicker.

5. Fuel mileage. Honestly about the same.

6. Brakes. Not a fair comparison here, Frontier has rear disc; and you can tell it. Not even close, comparison. I'll just move on. You can actually stop this truck with a load on. Don't try that with the Tacoma.

7. Performance: With the heavy equipment parts, I had to haul them several hundred miles, 90% hilly, mountain, secondary roads, 10% interstate. I was surprised, very surprised. I made a few passes on uphill mountain roads in the Frontier, that the Tacoma; could never have done. And it did these passes quickly. I don't know about some people saying the Tacoma is faster, maybe; but the Frontier is quicker, using the same amount of fuel. ?????

8. Interior, About the same, I guess. No winner here. I did like the auto down, driver's window. You say, what's that; just something my Tacoma doesn't have.

9. Looks: The Tacoma wins this hands down. The Frontier looks like an outdated box. I'm still a fan of the look of my truck; but not so much of the newest Tacoma's.

10. Now, I will get all the Reliability, Feedbacks and Trade-in value comments. Hey. I only drove the Frontier a week so far.

11. Would I buy the other brand? I guess I am stuck on Toyota.

Don't beat me up, This is what I saw and felt, in a few hundred miles. At least I drove the other brand.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    WittyTaco

WittyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greyson
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner TRD Super White
    3" Pro Comp Suspension Lift, 2 JL 10's and Plasti Dip
    Good comparison. Only one i disagree with is 8 because the Tacoma does indeed have an auto down drivers window.

3. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    oldracer

Member:
    Then Mine doesn't work!

I'll have to look at that. For sure Mine doesn't work.

I'll look at it. Last month I had to take the passenger's door panel off, to fix the window track. It came a part at 34,000 miles.

4. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    I'm pretty sure my 08 had it, 99% sure

5. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    loaded my riding mower into my tacoma today and no squat or budge at all. So I will have to say mine seems to handle a heavy load fine. and same with auto window down both fronts on my are auto. But only controlled on drivers side. Unsure if aftermarket system used but I know drivers side is auto from factory

6. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Mine has it (auto down). But it's also not a frontier. Win.
    Frontiers aren't too bad, but I've never been as impressed with them as I have with the Tacoma. Even the factory supercharged Frontiers felt weak in a comparison on the same roads and same people/ bikes/ gear.

7. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    I test drove a few Frontiers when I was shopping for a new used truck last summer. I even rode in the back seats on Frontier and Tacoma access and double-cabs. I liked the Frontier but both cab styles seemed too tall and too skinny. Plus a 4x4 stick shift Frontier is harder to find than a stick shift Tacoma.

What I really wanted was a 1st gen Tacoma, but where I live they go for about 15-17K if they've got under 100,000 miles. When I found a 2nd gen Tacoma double-cab with 45,000 miles on it for barely more than that, I took it.

8. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    BioWheelin

BioWheelin Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4
    K&N air filter Wheelskin wrap
    I've been curious about this as it seems that half the people on my job site are driving the Frontiers and the other half are in either 4runners, Tacomas, or Tundras.

If the guy with a radioactive box (soil tester) chained down in the back of a Frontier trusts it for security, what am I missing here?

I still love me some Tacos, I won't be trading in any time soon. Unless they're free, of course... nothing beats a free truck.

9. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    i test drove the frontier and was close to buying one. My dad talked me into buying a Tacoma. I'm glad I did for resale and reliability. Most of my friends that have Nissans had severe engine problems around 100K miles (engine needs rebuild, smoking and loosing power, leaking oil from everywhere, etc...)

I agree, the Taco isnt the best at everything. I have a 2005 with 69k and its been a pretty darn good truck. hauled home a complete LS iron block, T56 trans, 10 bolt, leafsprings, entire front suspension all in one shot. Guessing it was easy 1000lbs. :eek: No probs.

10. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    oldracer

Member:
    Well, the point was: I had my tailgate stolen, on my Tacoma. Not anything laying in the bed.

I have added an aftermarket lock kit, since that incident.

11. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    5 years is a long time in the auto industry. I would wonder how a head to head comparison would go with 2013's. I like the Frontier, used to have one till this January, but the new ones are to big in my opinion. I miss the old little nissans. The Toyota seemed a better size. And better looking, of course.

12. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Had an '06 Frontier before the Tacoma. Frontier rode rough compared to Tacoma. Very stiff suspension. I was glad to unload the Frontier before I had the strawberry milkshake issue with the radiator. Also, gearing sucks in the auto in Frontier. Around 45 mph you have to give it a little more to get to next gear. Truck really lugs down at that speed. Tacoma is smooth as silk through the gears.

One question for OP. how did you like parking the Frontier? Damn things turn like a semi.

13. Jul 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    I don't think it is a good comparison at all. We are talking 2008 vs 2013. Thats 5yrs ..Also a 2wheel drive will be smother than a 4x4. Lets not compare apples and oranges.

14. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    With regards to 2008 vs 2013, I think only point 8 and 9 would be affected by that.

15. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Nissan: Transmission problems. I know because I experienced them on two different vehicles. Enough to make me never buy another Nissan.

16. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    mr2mki

mr2mki Well-Known Member

Member:
    Both trucks are pretty good vehicles in a fairly close race. If it isn't safe to put a radioactive box in the Nissan's bed, chances are it isn't safe to put it in the Toyota's bed either.

I mean for heaven's sake, we're arguing about things like looks and window auto down in this thread. That should help convince you that neither is a deathtrap. Even if one is clearly better than the other, that doesn't mean one is awful.

17. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    SABAJA

SABAJA Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja TX edition
    I've had good experiences with Nissan as a whole from past vehicles...minus a few things here and there. But I doubt I'll be buying anything but a Toyota from this point on. The overall build quality and fit-n-finish is better than all of my previous vehicles, all of which varied in price point and brand placement each having a big enough chronic issue that I sold them all in relative short order. Plus, I was helping to support the local economy since my Taco was built in my city.

18. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yep OP. take a look at the driver side window motor or what ever. my ’07 trd OR has auto down.

My truck use to handle it better. but once i started flexing them off road a little they don’t seam to hold it as well.

19. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    It says auto right on the window switch..obvious troll trying to bag the Tacoma

20. Jul 12, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    oldracer

Member:
    I said comparable equipment!!!

The Nissan was a 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top