Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wind Whistling Noise (with Video!)

Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
kamdawg will become famous soon enoughkamdawg will become famous soon enough

Name: Kam
kamdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Wind Whistling Noise (with Video!)

Hello all! I just picked up my 2013 Tacoma brand new about 4 months ago. Ever since I bought it, on windy days, I hear a loud whistling noise coming from the exterior driver/passenger side front window area. Whenever there is a crosswind, the noise usually begins. It sounds like it's coming the side window/mirror area... but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. See my half-way unsafe video evidence below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gS4vM0OXo4

1) - Has anybody else experienced this? Can you give me some insight as to where this noise is actually coming from and why?

2) - The windshield TSB (NV006-07 AUG 07 Body - Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds) sounds like it relates to the issue I'm having. However, this TSB is pretty old and you would think that Toyota would fix this in newer models. Anybody else with a 2013 have this issue? Would this TSB cover 2013 models?

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
Oh wow. That would annoy the piss out of me. Toyota is typically VERY good about making sure the cabin ride is without noise. No rattles, whistles, or any other NVH really. In fact, they test them in QA during the build process on rough roads for that very reason.

Take it to the dealer. It's likely that a door/glass seal has a leak or the window isn't adjusted correctly. Sometimes it's something inside the door but I doubt that. Does rolling down the window slightly and rolling it back up do anything? I had a Ford Probe GT back in the 90's that did that and I sold it because Ford couldn't or wouldn't fix it.

Next time you do a video, make sure that there's a convertible full of half nekkid chicks next to the truck, it'll make the video far more interesting.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
It's the windsheild gasket...common problem. Once you get your windshield replaced it'll go away lol...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Had it on my 05 and my 11 but not on my 13 so far. Had the tsb done on my 05 but it didn't fix it ...i didnt have my 2011 long enough to do the tsb...seems like and annoying characteristic of the truck
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #5
AZ TXPRO is on a distinguished road
AZ TXPRO's Tacoma Gallery
Same crap on my '11.

It took 2 times to get it right. First time they replaced gasket and that didnt fix. 2nd time they did new windsheild and gasket...then it was fine.

Also, 2 dealerships I tried don't do glass in house. They sent it out to some local glass shop...so be ready for that too.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

kamdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all. The hardest part I guess is having the dealer replicate this issue. I can show them the video, but I know most dealers would want to make sure they know where the issue is coming from.

I'll see what they say. Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Fletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura aboutFletch has a spectacular aura about
Name: FB The Christian Fish Report
Fletch's Tacoma Gallery
my '13 whistles a bit. its one notch under my annoying scale so i haven't done anything about yet. just got a knarly chip on my windshield the other day so when she cracks i'll just assume the new one will fix the prob.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
hygieneboy will become famous soon enough

Navy: Sub Pilot
hygieneboy's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it's the limp aftermarket antenna?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Yes on the windshield not being sealed properly.
You can cover the gap between the windshield and the body with masking tape and see if the noise goes away.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
The Aviator
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Get some EGR in channel rain guards as well. Once you find your issue, these will further reduce wind noise coming from the outside!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #11

kamdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygieneboy View Post
Maybe it's the limp aftermarket antenna?
The noise started the week I bought the truck, so definitely not the antenna. Btw, it only gets limp on the freeway, full erection when stopped.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #12

kamdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Yes on the windshield not being sealed properly.
You can cover the gap between the windshield and the body with masking tape and see if the noise goes away.
Will definitely try this before I take to the dealer. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #13

kamdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
Get some EGR in channel rain guards as well. Once you find your issue, these will further reduce wind noise coming from the outside!
Sweet. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Ampo is on a distinguished road
Ampo's Tacoma Gallery
Try and tape it to see if it go's away like someone else said, at least then you'll know. I now have a whistling noise as well but not from the day I bought it like you. Mine is coming from the hood deflector that put on recently. Surprised that I'm getting that from a Toyota part but it's there when I get up to speed in certain situations.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #15

kamdawg's Tacoma Gallery
UPDATE 7/16/13

I dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They initially wanted me to drive it with the technician to replicate the issue, unfortunately it was a beautiful non-windy day in So Cal. I however showed the tech the video I posted above and he decided to keep it for the day to research further into the issue. He let me know that he would be calling Toyota directly to see if this issue has happened in other 2013's, what should be done, etc. He was a great tech, but this was the first time he was dealing with this sort of issue so he didn't have much knowledge about it happening in previous year models.

Also, the TSB (NV006-07 AUG 07 Body - Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds) hasn't been issued for 2013's... yet.

Anyways, I just got a call a few minutes ago from the dealer saying they found the issue happening in previous year models and they recommended resealing the windshield. So, they will be taking the windshield out and completely reinstall it using a better seal.

Overall, good dealer experience with this issue. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Let's hope this fixes it!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear you got it worked out. My '13 has a similar issue, I'll have to take it in.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Issue seems to be related to the rake of the truck. I had the whistle above 90 mph when the truck was stock (trained driver, closed course ). When I installed my AP bumper (weighing down the front end a little), the whistle went away. When I installed my front lift, the whistle came back.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
If that doesn't help, mine on my 2012 was where the leading edge of the hood comes together with the seal over the grill. 1/4" round dowel shoved through the open round part of the gasket stopped it. The gasket is just soft enough to allow airflow between it snd the hood. Think "blade of grass whistle between your thumbs" There are threads on this and it's always the windshield or the hood.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^You know the hood skewp is useless when more air enters the engine bay through the grille seal.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
TacomaTx13 is on a distinguished road
TacomaTx13's Tacoma Gallery
Purchase my 2013 Tacoma in December and had this happen to me while there were cross winds. Took to the Toyota dealership and they drove it but it didn't happen for them. Also having a lot of window noise like the glass is not fitting properly against the rubber gasket. Again dealership said there was no window adjustment. So far disappointment in the quality of the Tacoma, since everyone said what a GREAT truck they are. Enjoy the truck other than it is not a quiet ride. Toyota has a flaw and they need to come with a solution.