1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind Whistling Noise (with Video!)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kamdawg, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    kamdawg

kamdawg [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    Hello all! I just picked up my 2013 Tacoma brand new about 4 months ago. Ever since I bought it, on windy days, I hear a loud whistling noise coming from the exterior driver/passenger side front window area. Whenever there is a crosswind, the noise usually begins. It sounds like it's coming the side window/mirror area... but I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. See my half-way unsafe video evidence below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gS4vM0OXo4

1) - Has anybody else experienced this? Can you give me some insight as to where this noise is actually coming from and why?

2) - The windshield TSB (NV006-07 AUG 07 Body - Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds) sounds like it relates to the issue I'm having. However, this TSB is pretty old and you would think that Toyota would fix this in newer models. Anybody else with a 2013 have this issue? Would this TSB cover 2013 models?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    Norton likes this.
  2. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    SABAJA

SABAJA Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    13 Baja TX edition
    Oh wow. That would annoy the piss out of me. Toyota is typically VERY good about making sure the cabin ride is without noise. No rattles, whistles, or any other NVH really. In fact, they test them in QA during the build process on rough roads for that very reason.

Take it to the dealer. It's likely that a door/glass seal has a leak or the window isn't adjusted correctly. Sometimes it's something inside the door but I doubt that. Does rolling down the window slightly and rolling it back up do anything? I had a Ford Probe GT back in the 90's that did that and I sold it because Ford couldn't or wouldn't fix it.

Next time you do a video, make sure that there's a convertible full of half nekkid chicks next to the truck, it'll make the video far more interesting.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. Jul 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    It's the windsheild gasket...common problem. Once you get your windshield replaced it'll go away lol...

4. Jul 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Had it on my 05 and my 11 but not on my 13 so far. Had the tsb done on my 05 but it didn't fix it ...i didnt have my 2011 long enough to do the tsb...seems like and annoying characteristic of the truck

5. Jul 12, 2013 at 1:25 AM
    AZ TXPRO

AZ TXPRO Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Same crap on my '11.

It took 2 times to get it right. First time they replaced gasket and that didnt fix. 2nd time they did new windsheild and gasket...then it was fine.

Also, 2 dealerships I tried don't do glass in house. They sent it out to some local glass shop...so be ready for that too.

6. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    kamdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    Thank you all. The hardest part I guess is having the dealer replicate this issue. I can show them the video, but I know most dealers would want to make sure they know where the issue is coming from.

I'll see what they say. Thanks guys!

7. Jul 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John 14:6
    Orange County, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    my '13 whistles a bit. its one notch under my annoying scale so i haven't done anything about yet. just got a knarly chip on my windshield the other day so when she cracks i'll just assume the new one will fix the prob.:D

8. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    hygieneboy

hygieneboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe it's the limp aftermarket antenna?

9. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    gasgasman

gasgasman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes on the windshield not being sealed properly.
    You can cover the gap between the windshield and the body with masking tape and see if the noise goes away.

10. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Get some EGR in channel rain guards as well. Once you find your issue, these will further reduce wind noise coming from the outside!

11. Jul 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    kamdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    The noise started the week I bought the truck, so definitely not the antenna. Btw, it only gets limp on the freeway, full erection when stopped.

12. Jul 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    kamdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    Will definitely try this before I take to the dealer. Thanks!

13. Jul 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    kamdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    Sweet. Thanks for the recommendation!

14. Jul 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    Ampo

Ampo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 SR5 4x4
    Try and tape it to see if it go's away like someone else said, at least then you'll know. I now have a whistling noise as well but not from the day I bought it like you. Mine is coming from the hood deflector that put on recently. Surprised that I'm getting that from a Toyota part but it's there when I get up to speed in certain situations.

15. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    kamdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Kam
    Bay Area, CA
    UPDATE 7/16/13

I dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They initially wanted me to drive it with the technician to replicate the issue, unfortunately it was a beautiful non-windy day in So Cal. I however showed the tech the video I posted above and he decided to keep it for the day to research further into the issue. He let me know that he would be calling Toyota directly to see if this issue has happened in other 2013's, what should be done, etc. He was a great tech, but this was the first time he was dealing with this sort of issue so he didn't have much knowledge about it happening in previous year models.

Also, the TSB (NV006-07 AUG 07 Body - Windshield Wind Noise at Highway Speeds) hasn't been issued for 2013's... yet.

Anyways, I just got a call a few minutes ago from the dealer saying they found the issue happening in previous year models and they recommended resealing the windshield. So, they will be taking the windshield out and completely reinstall it using a better seal.

Overall, good dealer experience with this issue. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Let's hope this fixes it!

16. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    Glad to hear you got it worked out. My '13 has a similar issue, I'll have to take it in.

17. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Issue seems to be related to the rake of the truck. I had the whistle above 90 mph when the truck was stock (trained driver, closed course :spy:). When I installed my AP bumper (weighing down the front end a little), the whistle went away. When I installed my front lift, the whistle came back.

18. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    If that doesn't help, mine on my 2012 was where the leading edge of the hood comes together with the seal over the grill. 1/4" round dowel shoved through the open round part of the gasket stopped it. The gasket is just soft enough to allow airflow between it snd the hood. Think "blade of grass whistle between your thumbs" There are threads on this and it's always the windshield or the hood.

19. Jul 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^You know the hood skewp is useless when more air enters the engine bay through the grille seal.:D

20. Feb 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    TacomaTx13

TacomaTx13 Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4X4
    Purchase my 2013 Tacoma in December and had this happen to me while there were cross winds. Took to the Toyota dealership and they drove it but it didn't happen for them. Also having a lot of window noise like the glass is not fitting properly against the rubber gasket. Again dealership said there was no window adjustment. So far disappointment in the quality of the Tacoma, since everyone said what a GREAT truck they are. Enjoy the truck other than it is not a quiet ride. Toyota has a flaw and they need to come with a solution.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top