Paper. 58 53.70%
Other 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
K&n vs paper.

I have a k&n now. But read somewhere that it lets in more contaminates then paper. And doesn't increase effecincy noticeably. What is your guy's opinion k&n or paper. And why
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
I've ditched K&N after using them in 3 past vehicles and seeing no benefit in any of them. Oiling perfectly was a pain, cleaning, etc,. Not worth it for me, anyway - my Tacoma will see OEMs only.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
I went AFE no issues to date...my xB has a TRD which I think is K&N 50k miles no issues...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Pabst knows best
banditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shedbanditstpk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
banditstpk's Tacoma Gallery
k&n wrapped in paper?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
I'm asian. So I use rice paper.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #6

Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Is the k&n worth using since I already have it?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
If you drive in nice conditions on nice pavement, you don't need to worry about filtration. If you drive in dust or dirt, I'd pick a paper element in a heartbeat, and I'd lean towards an enclosed element instead of a naked cone filter.

As for efficiency/power, old cars with crappy intake plumbing gain a fair bit when you add a K&N filter- because you just removed the crappy intake plumbing. The Taco supposedly has a pretty good intake tract, though I haven't examined it yet. The scrutiny on MPG is so high right now, I guarantee you Toyota engineers are doing just about everything they can to maximize the efficiency of that stock intake.

If it was me, I'd sell it. They can be nice on motorcycles and race vehicles that always see nice conditions to reduce complexity, but that's about it IMO.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
K&N = Poor filtering, Expensive and a pain in the ass.
Paper = Good filtering, Cheap and easy.

Now you tell me.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
b.prall is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
b.prall's Tacoma Gallery
I have an afe pro dry, no need to oil, just rinse it off every 30 to 40 thousand miles, cleaned it recently, and there was no dust or particulate in the intake plenum
Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #12

Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Well ditched the k&n for a paper. I'll probably pick a afe up when funds become available.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmwill View Post
Well ditched the k&n for a paper. I'll probably pick a afe up when funds become available.
I wouldn't waste the money on that either though I believe they are better than oiled filters. Just stay stock and your engine will be happy.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
I have a k&n cai and it doesnt seem to do anything for me except a check engine light
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
don't bother. I can't find the report, but there's an extensive one where they took a bunch of filters and tested for filtration and air flow, then performed a not-so-scientific check on MPG (because there's really no good way to do that in a real-world scenario).
overall, the verdict is that MPG was negligible, power gains were negligible. Only difference was air flow and filtration, with filtration being the most noticeable and meaningful result. At the end of the day, the paper filter provided the most protection while maintaining a respectable air flow.

My AFE gets nasty on dusty roads, and I don't like how the throttle body looked last time I cleaned. I'm going back to paper!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
Senior MoFo'ing Member
07SpeedwaySport will become famous soon enough
07SpeedwaySport's Tacoma Gallery
Bull shit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9k781cdlm0
Old 07-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
now put the machine in a haboob, then make her taste the ball afterwards.

haboob:

Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is the k&n worth using since I already have it?
Keep it....

There are a lot of K&N haters out there. You'll just have to see how yours performs and make that decision for yourself.

I've owned many K&N filters over the years. I've never had problems with any of them. If you keep it cleaned and do not over-oil it, you should be fine. When I had my K&N's - I washed them about twice a year. Currently, I thought I'd try something different and went with an AFE. The K&N allows for more airflow than the AFE does, you can hear it and feel it in the throttle response. For me....I didn't need the performance aspect but only wanted the 'washability' and the AFE is much easier to keep cleaned as there is no oil to deal with.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
Only reason I got the KN cause it was 40 dollars and I dont have to buy a new air filter every 10,000 now for 20 dollars.