LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Diff Vent behind the tail light Mod

Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Arty
uncleART's Tacoma Gallery

Here's what I did to relocate my Rear Diff Vent. There are many great locations. Any location is better than stock. This is just what I preferred.

I must give credit to David K for the Toyota part numbers.

and MATJEKA for behind the tail light idea.

Parts List:
From your Toyota dealer ($12)
Union, part# 90404-51319
Breather, part# 90930-03136

Local Auto Parts Store ($35)
10' - 5/16" fuel line
2- 5/16"-5/8" hose clamps
2- rubber coated clamps
Tye-Wraps

I orderd these parts.

Got this stuff from an auto parts store.

Parts ready.

Remove tail light.

I installed the union and routed the hose along the wiring harness.
Incidentally, when I removed the stock relief vent, there was a huge in-rush of air into the diff. It had cooled down after driving around.
It will be nice to have a 2-way breather now.

Routed the hose up to the rear tail light.

Installed way up high. Secured with a clamp in a pre-existing hole with a 1/4-20 bolt & nyloc nut.

I wasn't happy with my tie-wraps at the brake line location. So I installed another clamp.

Had to drill out the clamp.

Much cleaner.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4C0CH40S View Post
looks good man, subd for part #s
wut
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #6

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Derp. Haha, I thought he was awaiting part numbers. I'm running on about an hour worth of sleep.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my stuff for this mod for about a month now and I'm glad I waited. I am going to go this route instead of putting it in the fuel door area. Nice write up!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
TEQ HED
Mattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shedMattnatti is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mattnatti's Tacoma Gallery
I did this for the diff's, trans and transmission on the Land Cruiser and when I bought the Tacoma I couldn't believe that Toyota only stubbed the rear diff up off of the housing. WTF?

I haven't done it yet to the Tacoma but might just do it this weekend.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
uncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the sheduncleART is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattnatti View Post
I did this for the diff's, trans and transmission on the Land Cruiser and when I bought the Tacoma I couldn't believe that Toyota only stubbed the rear diff up off of the housing. WTF?

I haven't done it yet to the Tacoma but might just do it this weekend.
Yeah. But remember that the stock one is not a 2-way vent like the others. It's a pressure relief valve. This inherently has its own issues.

On my 2013 Sport, all the other breathers are already routed to the upper part of the engine bay. The front diff & actuator vents are located at the fender well. The trans & t-case are located up behind the intake manifold.

The guys that have the Offroad package with an E-Locker, will need to raise that vent as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Man did I ever got raped at the dealer today! 27$ for the breather and union! Just remembered me why I never go to the dealer...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Air Force: Security Forces 02-06
13TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like my sport has a breather and tube already???
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
miacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud ofmiacevedo has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
miacevedo's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd!

Should have put it on the passenger side to help the Taco lean
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Placed mine in the taillight as well. Skipped the whole breather part and installed a clear inline mini fuel filter instead and clear rubber hose so I can see if it gets dirty. Holding real well after 2+ years
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailll1 View Post
Man did I ever got raped at the dealer today! 27$ for the breather and union! Just remembered me why I never go to the dealer...
Bummer. I've been going in enough since May, that the parts guy always recognizes me. I think he's been giving me like 10 percent off.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost JuNkY View Post
Placed mine in the taillight as well. Skipped the whole breather part and installed a clear inline mini fuel filter instead and clear rubber hose so I can see if it gets dirty. Holding real well after 2+ years
Sounds good. I saw that there are a bunch of guys here on TW that used a fuel filter!
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #18
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info and the part numbers. I did mine this way too. Super fast and easy.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Tacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacozilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacozilla's Tacoma Gallery
subd for future