1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OpInions wanted Tacoma vs Silverado

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blm, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    blm

blm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Couple days ago I sold my 2000 Silerado that I had since new. It was a big 3/4 ton extended cab with a 6.0 liter engine. I am on the hunt for a replacement truck. I am considering the Tacoma and the Silverado. I have test driven two different 4 cyl/manual trans/access cab/4 x 4 tacomas. The down side to the Tacomas I tested were the following. I found the 4 cyl to be on the verge of being underpowered/I hit my head on the roof as I was entering the cab and found I have to duck to get in and I am only 5' 10"/salesman was only willing to discount $1k off MSRP. The upside is the Tacoma would be cheaper than the Silverado and would get slightly better gas mileage ( 1 to 2 MPG ) but the Silverado is an 8 cyl. Right now Chevrolet is offering big discounts on the2013's as the 2014 is a new model. I was quoted a price that was $8K off MSRP. So lets hear reasons for going with one or the other.

2. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    I would suggest looking at the v6. As far as getting in and out that's just something you have to get used to. It's not a full dive so you can't get in and out like a full size.

3. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    yeah look into the V6, itll be a lot more responsive than the 4 cylinder, also, a tacoma is obviously gonna be smaller on the interior and not pull as much as a V8, just depends on what you're going to be using the truck for

4. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    My brother had a ’09 silverado 1500 with the 5.3. by the time it had 57k on he had a few small problems. also I don’t know if it was the truck or his driving but it got pretty back MPG i get better with the V6 4.0 taco. also his ’11 tundra get a lot better MPG and is cheaper for him to fill up.

5. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma regular cab Maual
    You might want to keep in mind that the 4 cylinder when not broken in does seem slow. I have 700 miles on mine now and it is like a whole different engine.

6. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Ha I actually just turned in the rental 2012 Silverado 8 cyl i had to get my Tacoma back. Was fun to drive, but I figured out my fullsize parking sucks lol. Otherwise I have no experience with it. Interior was no frills but I saw pictures of the 2013 and interior seems more updated.

I had the 5.3L v8 and that thing was sucking some gas down in traffic to and from Atlanta.

If you do go with Tacoma it seems like others said...you'd be happier with the v6 since you are coming from a fullsize v6.

7. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    blm

blm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll be honest with those that say get the V6. By the time I upgrade to the V6 the price and gas mileage would be the same as the V8 Silverado. The V6 Tacoma would be less than $1K cheaper than a comparable Silerado.

8. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    Hopehik

Hopehik Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    Resale value of the silverado will not be as high as the toyota. Take 10% off msrp and offer them that. Go to another dealer if you have to, someone will sell a new truck for that price.

9. Jul 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Just test drive one and see what you think. The v6 tacoma has other advantages over the Silverado, the question is what is more important to you?

10. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Test drive both and buy what you like/fits your needs best. Naturally everyone on a Tacoma site is going to say get a Tacoma. I must have been so used to getting in the Tacoma since I'm 6'3 and never really had an issue. I wouldn't want the 4cyl myself. Just personal preference. I'd also shop other Toyota dealers to see if they will come off anymore. I recently traded my 09 Tacoma on a 2013 Tundra. Also looked at the F150. I'm averaging more or less the same fuel economy as I was getting with the Tacoma (although to be fair that was lifted with more aggressive tires).

11. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John 14:6
    Orange County, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma PreRunner
    I have the 4cyl and love it, i haul stuff in the back (table saw, sandbags, etc and it does great! just push the gas harder, it still gets better mpg than the v6 however it's not a v6 fer shur so you'll have to get used to it. you're used to the bigger truck and so was i (i'm 6'4".) i just downsized from silverado diesel 4x4 to the tundra 4x2 to the tacoma 4x2 over 10 yrs, i love my taco. I call it my 15 yr truck. :) getting in and out of the tacoma takes a day or two to get used to. :D hope that helps.

12. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' reg cab 4x4 2.7L auto
    Their offering big discounts for a reason and it's not just because the 14's are close.

GM sucks!
    GM resale value sucks!
    GM quality sucks!
    GM styling sucks!
    GM took tax payers money to keep their shitty company afloat and that sucks!

The above is just MY opinion. If you cannot find enough info to influence you to buy a Tacoma in ten random threads here then.....

Happy shopping.

13. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    slowmachine

slowmachine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alton, NH
    If you're looking at 4-cylinder Tacomas, towing must not be important to you. That would be the main reason that I would consider a full-size V8 truck. If you need heavy hauling/towing, bigger is better.

Mike

14. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    What will you be using the truck for? And/ or what do you plan to do with it?

My dad has an 02' 2500 hd with the 6.0, and I love that truck. Lots more space, hauling cap., everything! But I would hate driving it downtown where I work or any thing other then a grated road. The difference for me (why I got the taco) is the tacoma is just so much better offroad, and for daily driving.

15. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    dpak

dpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Toytec/Eibach coils w/ 5100's set at 0, Toytec 2.0 Aluma Rear Shocks, Toytec Boss Leaf Springs, TRD Catback Exhaust, SCS F-5 Matte Gray Wheels, Elusive Elements Mesh Grill
    Lol another classic case of "I can get a full size v8 domestic truck for the same price of v6 tacoma". It all boils down to your needs. Towing, hauling, cabin space, dependability, looks? I got my tacoma bc it looks good. I know, I'm shallow.

16. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Taco2112

Taco2112 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4 access cab 2.7
    265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T, Trd or wheels, Bilstien 5100's all the way around set at .85 in the front Comming soon LC Engineering header, avid light bar, lights
    I have the 4 cyl access cab auto. It's no race car, but it has enough power for me. I have no problems in the hills and mountains in western PA. I do a lot of highway driving and it's not bad on the highway. Once you get used to the 4, its actually somewhat fun to drive. I was having a hard time deciding between the 4 and 6, i am actually glad i got the 4. The 2.7 is a GREAT motor, and will last forever if you take care of it. I am 5'11 and have never noticed myself ducking to get in. I dont think you will be disappointed with the 4 cyl if you buy it.

If you want more power get the 6, even if it is the same price as the full size Chevy. Your getting a better built truck. The Chevy's always have a ton of factory rebates on them...that's how they sell truck's. The resale value on the Tacoma is much better, and it will last you a lot longer problem free.

17. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    bshack

bshack Active Member

Member:
    Olathe, KS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    When I was looking at new trucks, I noticed that the Tundra was more competitive in price when compared to the Chevy Silverado or Ford F Series. The Tacoma price was very steep in my opinion. I could have walked out of a Toyota dealership with a 2010 4.7 Liter 4X4 Tundra for less than a 2010 V6 Tacoma 4x4. I had to buy the Tacoma because of the lack of need for a full size truck. I feel that I paid heavily for the Tacoma though. The Toyota dealers in Ohio at the time wouldn't even talk about selling a Tacoma for under sticker. One dealer even said if I didn't buy the truck at sticker, he knew someone else would by tomorrow!

I don't know how anyone could possibly compare a 3/4 ton, 6.0 liter semi to a little Tacoma.. No comparison really. Either you need a tank, or you don't.The Tacoma is great for the small jobs and spanks everyone for resale. If you were happy with the big Chevy and still need to do heavy hauls, just get another one. Pretty simple really!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  18. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Toyota dealers don't budge a lot on price because generally, they don't have to. The trucks on the lot move, and they know it. They also don't have the same profit margin so they can't drop a price by 8 grand.

I recently decided to go for a tacoma over an f150 of the same price, which would have had better options. For me it was about the dependability and resale value (not that I plan on getting rid of this truck any time soon.)

I traded in a 7.5 yr old tacoma with about 100k miles on it for 21,500. My co-worker with similar age/features Dodge Ram (with half the mileage) traded his truck in for 7,800. huh.

I went for the v6 because I wanted the double cab long bed.

19. Jul 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    HBtaco02

HBtaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    02 4wd SR5 TRD
    ARB Front Locker grey wire mod Camburg UCA's Extended Kings All-Pro expo's 10" Bilstien Brute Force Hybrid front bumper Smitty XRC8
    I had an 06 Silverado 2500 crewcab. It only got at best 12MPG. It would haul anything but so will my work truck. I wouldn't go back to a Silverado angain. Dont buy Government bail out products. .....

20. Jul 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Tacoma vs fullsize is simply a question of what you want out of your truck. I went from a 2009 tacoma to a 2011 F-150 a few weeks ago.

Highway mpg is about the same, city mpg is a little better in a taco. The taco is much more maneuverable and better in city traffic to drive, it fits place the f-150 doesn't. And it is far, far, far better at any kind of trails for offroading, because it fits better and there is much more aftermarket support for it for armor and suspension and so forth.

However, the f-150 does get the same highway mileage and it can tow way more and way better, it is also far roomier. For a road trip vehicle and toy hauler, it is without a doubt far and away superior.

I would personally stay away from a 2007+ silverado because they've introduced cylinder deactivation in most of their engine lineup. It saves a very small amount of gas by turning off 4 cylinders under low load, but they have a very nasty tendency to start burning oil by 60 or 80 thousand miles.

Oh, also, tacos are much cheaper up-front than a fullsize if you want a 4-door. A DCSB is way less than a crew cab full-size, for whatever reason. You can get a new crew cab taco for high 20s, you'd have to get a used fullsize generally.

Products Discussed in

To Top