Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

replacing rear drum brakes with disc brakes?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
While searching "REAR DISC CONVERSION", I came across this thread...

Hypocrite, you missed a period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post

Punctuation... Try it
Old 01-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #22
Kamen is on a distinguished road
Kamen's Tacoma Gallery
Are the TRD models brakes the same as the, let's say, SR5 brakes?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #23
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
Are the TRD models brakes the same as the, let's say, SR5 brakes?
Exactly the same.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM   #24
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
I have the tundra racing rear disc kit, swapped to discs since I have toasted a few sets of drums getting rocks and sand stuck in them. They work pretty good, stop a little better but the ebrake is lacking. Luckily I dont tow or have the truck loaded much. Its nice not having to worry about shit getting stuck in the brakes anymore. And they are super easy to work on. Plus I can pull axles and the third without disconnecting the brake lines. It was a little expensive but well worth the cost for me.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #25
Kamen is on a distinguished road
Kamen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJC View Post
Exactly the same.
Thanks! Just wondering, because I all the time read complaints against the Tacoma brakes about things I have never experienced myself( like mushy pedal, for example).
Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #26
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
Thanks! Just wondering, because I all the time read complaints against the Tacoma brakes about things I have never experienced myself( like mushy pedal, for example).
iirc sport vs offroad have something different as far as brake booster or something. Maybe thats why theres some who complain, and some who dont.

I HATED mine at first...

took braided lines, abs killswitch, EBC stage 5 front kit, and now I love my brakes.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #27
smd3 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
smd3's Tacoma Gallery
OR uses a hydraulic booster, sport and other models use a vacuum booster.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #28
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Can't speak for the Off Roads as I don't have any experience with them, but Sports and SR5s are identical.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #29
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I still wish Toyota would put rear disk brakes on. I mean I know discs are more expensive but disc breaks work good and the tundra has them so shouldn't the Tacoma get some.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #30
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
What happens to disc brakes when they are submerged in mud?

On pavement, particularly on a fast car, 4-wheel disc brakes are very nice. But they are also exposed to the elements. I would never ford a stream in a car like that. It would get stuck in a puddle.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 AM   #31
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBSoCal View Post

On pavement, particularly on a fast car, 4-wheel disc brakes are very nice. But they are also exposed to the elements. I would never ford a stream in a car like that. It would get stuck in a puddle.
I have been through mud in my wuad and it has disk brakes it still works fine after many times through the mud.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #32
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

They self clean, so you dont need to worry at all about mud. Drums on the other hand fill up with mud, sand, and grit then grind themselves to garbage. Thats why I now have disks on the back of my 07.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #33
Shepdog08 is on a distinguished road
Shepdog08's Tacoma Gallery
I think my auto teacher in highschool said something about how the shoes on drum brakes are positioned that allows them to stop with less pedal pressure. Not necessarily better, just with less driver force. He claimed that was part of the reasoning for brake boosters becoming more commonplace. It allowed the driver to have the low maintenance-high performance discs, and the easy pedal pressure.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 AM   #34
Shepdog08 is on a distinguished road
Shepdog08's Tacoma Gallery
That's just what he said though, could be wrong.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #35
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The same thing that happens to the front disc brakes on your truck.
Quote:
wut
Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 AM   #36
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel114 View Post
Drums on the other hand fill up with mud, sand, and grit then grind themselves to garbage.
The drums on the back of my '11 beg to differ. They see cubic amounts of mud and dirt, and had they not gummed up with oil after a wheel seal went back, at the 81k (miles) I estimate they were at a little more than 50% wear. Contrast with my Silverado that got treated to new rear brake pads every six weeks (I was able to do this in 15 minutes flat, I got that good at it).

It's not a race car, I'll take the maintenance free drums, thanks very much...
Old 02-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRZ View Post
The drums on the back of my '11 beg to differ. They see cubic amounts of mud and dirt, and had they not gummed up with oil after a wheel seal went back, at the 81k (miles) I estimate they were at a little more than 50% wear. Contrast with my Silverado that got treated to new rear brake pads every six weeks (I was able to do this in 15 minutes flat, I got that good at it).

It's not a race car, I'll take the maintenance free drums, thanks very much...
And I will take not having to rebuild the drum brakes every year for a quick pad change and not having the disconnect any brake lines to replace and axle shaft or remove a third member.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
RogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud ofRogerRZ has much to be proud of
Firefighter: Deputy Chief
RogerRZ's Tacoma Gallery
Every year? Not in my experience. 81 thousand miles, about half of them in the woods, and still only half worn. I dunno...
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #39
I have gone through 3 sets of drums and 2 sets of pads in the last three years. Purely from getting sand, rocks or mud stuck in them and grinding everything to shit.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #40
mshultz is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mshultz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepdog08 View Post
I think my auto teacher in highschool said something about how the shoes on drum brakes are positioned that allows them to stop with less pedal pressure. Not necessarily better, just with less driver force. He claimed that was part of the reasoning for brake boosters becoming more commonplace. It allowed the driver to have the low maintenance-high performance discs, and the easy pedal pressure.
He is correct. Drum brakes are self-energizing.

Another reason for the prevalence of brake boosters is that low friction brake linings became more common; perhaps they had more resistance to fading. This required high effort to stop, even with all drum brakes.

Rear drum brakes are better as parking brakes than the miniature drum brakes used with rear disks.