Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

replacing rear drum brakes with disc brakes?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
replacing rear drum brakes with disc brakes?

Anyone here ever switched out their dear drums for rear disc brakes?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Maibatsu Monstrosity
Jaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of lightJaime is a glorious beacon of light
Name: James
Jaime's Tacoma Gallery
These are the only options I know of: http://tundraracing.com/prerunnerproductlist.htm

I'm curious what people are running myself
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Mjp2 did a disc conversion.

He hates it and it stops worse.... Its no secret, do a quick search and I'm sure u will find a dozen threads on it.

Slam on ur brakes as is..... They work pretty damn well.... Disable the abs and they work even better for some situations.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
These are the only options I know of: http://tundraracing.com/prerunnerproductlist.htm

I'm curious what people are running myself
EBC stage 5 brake kit and braided lines here combined with abs delete.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't mess with your factory brake setup especially if its your daily driver.

I did a disc brake conversion on my trail rig/Jeep - which - we had swapped Dana 44's under it. The Dana 44 rear drums were horrible and the ebrake never worked properly after countless attempts of rebuilding things. The Jeep just about rolled itself off the trailer one day. The disc brake conversion was a kit and we also changed out the Master cylinder & proportioning valve. The brakes were much better after that..... With larger diameter brakes on the Dana 44's, we needed a little extra something to help. When you're on Schoolbus Trail in Tellico on a steep incline, its really really important to have brakes that hold the jeep in place!!!

For a daily driver....I wouldn't mess with a thing!!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm not messing with it I was just wondering if someone had ever ever done it successfully or if anyone made a kit
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
TW Member: MJP2 did a conversion on his 2nd gen race tacoma many moon ago (2-3 years). After many head aches, frustrations, lots of $$$, the consensus became that

-Yes. A rear disc brake conversion is available
-Yes. A rear disc brake conversion does work, but not well...
-No. It does not perform better than stock
-It is immensly difficult, to near impossible, to make a rear disc brake conversion work correctly and properly with the stock OEM system and even an after market system, even more so with 09+ electronic system.

Basically, don't do it. Just upgrade your front pads and rotors, change your lines to SS you'll see a minor increase in brake performance. The pedal will still be spongy regardless of what you do.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
What about just dropping in a rear end from an FJ? Wouldn't that make for an easy swap?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

I won't do it I just was curious and I don't get why Toyota would not do it from the factory
Old 07-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...07-tacoma.html

there ya go, youll be a little wide without modding the front though
Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcayce View Post
What about just dropping in a rear end from an FJ? Wouldn't that make for an easy swap?

FJ's use coil springs. Tacos have leafs. so unfortunately, not an easy swap :/
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...07-tacoma.html

there ya go, youll be a little wide without modding the front though

That's from a Tundra, anyone use an FJ? I wonder how much matches up under there.

Is it just the perches? I would think welding mounts for leafs would not be that bad if everything else matched up. What do I know though?
Old 07-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Racing a 4X4 truck on a track with lots of turns seems kind of slow some how but that maybe where you could gain some thing by switching to disks they do get rid of heat quicker don't stop any faster and are way expensive but yeah go for it they look cool.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #14
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Racing a 4X4 truck on a track with lots of turns seems kind of slow some how but that maybe where you could gain some thing by switching to disks they do get rid of heat quicker don't stop any faster and are way expensive but yeah go for it they look cool.
Punctuation... Try it
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #15
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I won't do it I just was curious and I don't get why Toyota would not do it from the factory
Good to hear, because even though I prefer working on disc brakes, the late model OR brakes are impressively strong. Be glad your truck stops as well as it does.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Among other things, it is much more difficult to incorporate a parking/emergency brake with disc rears. Loaded trucks need lots of braking power when parked on a slope. Many vehicles with rear discs still have a drum parking brake.

Mike
Old 07-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most vehicles don't benefit much from discs in the rear. Most vehicles have something like an 80%/20% Front/Rear braking bias, and a truck has even less weight in the rear, so your rear brakes are doing like 15% of the stopping. Also, drum brakes are cheap and generally reliable.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
Toyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud ofToyoland66 has much to be proud of
Toyoland66's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
FJ's use coil springs. Tacos have leafs. so unfortunately, not an easy swap :/
Spring perches aren't that tough.

I have been wondering about this myself, you get the drum in disk E-brake which is the biggest advantage I see over a rear disk brake kit. Does anybody know if they are the same WMS?

I have been daydreaming about running a centered FJ80 rear axle which is full float drum in disk and 9.5" third member, I don't know if the abs sensors would be compatible.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

best in class braking.. why would then change that?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #20
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why reinvent the wheel? The brakes work great, they have used the same set up for ever if it ain't broke don't fix it. Disk e brakes are small drums inside of the rotor or on the caliper and that type eventually froze up and wore the pads out. The K.I.S.S. principle works fine for me.