Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New member with whisling issues

Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
sbwool63 is on a distinguished road
sbwool63's Tacoma Gallery
New member with whisling issues

greetings all, new to the forum bought the 2013 double cab long bed TRD sport. ive always wanted and anything above 50 i hear an annoying whistle coming from some where. i read on here about a windshield issue but may it be the hood scoop?

sbwool
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
I am scoop less and at 80 MPG I get a bit of whistle on a windy day. Maybe coming from vent intake / windshield areas.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
It's most likely the seal that spans the top of the grille and sits against the hood. My '12 makes a noise once in a while, if it's a strong crosswind. I think there's a tsb from Toyota on this. And I know for a fact there are many threads on this...
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
FFMedic is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
FFMedic's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield molding

From what I have read it can be isolated to windshield molding. I haven't been able to tape mine off yet, due to laziness as for me it is an intermittent problem. Other have also said that it is the gasket between the hood and grille, and can be a simple fix by sliding in a 1/4 gas rubber gas line. When I had my JK I had to do this to stop hood from jumping, and notice that my Taco had the same gap, so shortly after I bought it, I filled it with the gas line, and still have the whistling problem. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
It's either your grill or your windshield. There are TSBs for both. Bring it to your dealer and they should fix it.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Ampo is on a distinguished road
Ampo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwool63 View Post
greetings all, new to the forum bought the 2013 double cab long bed TRD sport. ive always wanted and anything above 50 i hear an annoying whistle coming from some where. i read on here about a windshield issue but may it be the hood scoop?

sbwool
I had absolutely no whistling sound what's so ever at any speed under any conditions until I installed Toyota's hood deflector. I had 10,000+ miles on my truck before I installed it and the noise started right after it went on. It's not there all the time mind you, it only happens at speed and during a cross wind type situation.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
What's all this, then?
atebit will become famous soon enoughatebit will become famous soon enough

Army: Defend and Serve
atebit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
It's either your grill or your windshield. There are TSBs for both. Bring it to your dealer and they should fix it.
TSB's don't appear to cover the 13's?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
ShaneG is on a distinguished road
Navy: SCPO / P-3 Aircrew
Name: Shane
ShaneG's Tacoma Gallery
It's definitely a molding issue. Took mine into the dealership once for whistling above 80 mph. The guy in service says that he has this complaint frequently and that it's typically a result of buildup of grit/sand/leaves/debris/whatever getting caught up between the windshield and the molding. He said it can typically be resolved by taking an ID card or a credit card, running it the length of the windshield just under the molding, and removing the build up.

My issue was resolved a couple of weeks later when my windshield was replaced by insurance for an unrelated issue. Haven't heard it since...
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
sbwool63 is on a distinguished road
sbwool63's Tacoma Gallery
thanks folks, my truck has 430 miles on it, ill be headed there this week
Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
scuba fanatic
kn61408 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E7 retired
kn61408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
mines whistles above 70mph.
Where are you going 70? Too much 5-0 around for H1/H2/H3! Haha
Old 07-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
BLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Keith
BLOODYMARY's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 2012 and above 70mph I have the most annoying whistle dead center of windshield! I can make it change tone by pressing on the headliner by the sunglasses holder. Obvious leak and glad I just read there is a tsb for it
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post
I am scoop less and at 80 MPG I get a bit of whistle on a windy day. Maybe coming from vent intake / windshield areas.
I can only manage 15mpg, is your truck a hybrid?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn61408 View Post
Where are you going 70? Too much 5-0 around for H1/H2/H3! Haha
Haha H-1 man. When there's no traffic.

Best one to speed is H-3 haha.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
I can only manage 15mpg, is your truck a hybrid?

Its the supercharger!! J/K
Old 07-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Two Shoes
SSgtTrap is on a distinguished road
Marines: SSgt, Med Ret, 2005
Name: Trap
SSgtTrap's Tacoma Gallery
Fix the Whistle in 30 Seconds for $2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwool63 View Post

sbwool

My intro to this site was by doing a Google search on this exact issue. I bought my 13 Tacoma just a few weeks ago and it has been doing this every time I pass 60 mph. It seems that the real issue is the rigidity of the seal between the front grill and the hood.

I found the answer in a forum about 2012 models, but I did this with my 13 and it stopped the whistle instantly! Here is the link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...dentified.html