Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP installing CAI

Old 02-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
TheTacoManChach's Tacoma Gallery
HELP installing CAI

ok so i open the box and dunt da dun...
their seems to be large portions of my engine bay i have to remove...
I dunno i am confused though...
the long pipe?
and everything...
i dunno
Am i suppose to just completely remove the old filter?

help me please
Old 02-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I read this today on another site. You might want to send it back.

The OEM intake it came with is (in most cases) going to be the best - sounds crazy but here's the real deal -

The reasons anyone makes a "cold air intake" are:
1) To sell you something that "looks cool" and makes noise (keywords - sell you something).
2) Because "Fast & Furious" was just such a cool movie and "you gotta be like them, dawg".
3) You'll think your ride is that much better than the next one just like it (they made thousands of em).

Now back to the real deal -

Most "cold air intakes" are misleading to begin with. If the filter is an open element (you can see the filter) and it's under the hood, it is actually a "hot air intake" (in other words - they lie and sell you something). When was the last time you ever felt a cool breeze under the hood of a car/ truck? A true cold air intake has to take in air from an ambient source - aka outside the engine bay. If you want one that bad for the "cool factor", or if your car/ truck doesn't breathe from outside the engine bay, find one that fits that description.

The air that the OEM (the one it came with from the factory, or Original Equipment Manufactured) air intake breathes in is usually from just behind the grille itself, or sometimes from a fenderwell. This "air charge" is actually cold (or ambient temperature air), as hot air will just drop your ignition timing (because of pre-ignition or detonation) as the temperature of the intake air increases, and take all your HP with it.

Let common sense help some on deciding just how good an aftermarket part or system is:
1) Why would the Manufacturer short you on the performance it could have for an extra $100?
2) If you gained MPG with a simple piece of tubing and a "one size fits all" air filter element - wouldn't they do that at the factory that built the vehicle?
3) Who do you think has more money and resources for Research and Development - the company that designed and built the entire vehicle, or the company that made that "cold air intake"?
4) If something you could buy and install yourself would actually add HorsePower and MPG, why would any vehicle manufacturer waste millions designing it the way they did (and lose the edge on the competition)?

Add to that the water protection that a stock OEM air box is designed to provide. Water intrusion is a HUGE concern to prevent damage, and here's the reason, air compresses and water doesn't. If an engine breathes in water, and tries to compress it, it will break in a big way.

Some "cold air intake" kits have a water intrusion valve that is basically a ping-pong ball in a sleeve - good luck trusting an engine to that. I know where they got the R&D on that design, just open up a wet/ dry shopvac and you'll see the same thing. Amazing how brilliant these things are when you dig.

What I've said up above didn't all come out of my head somewhere, I have friends that have owned race teams and auto shops for over 40 years. I worked for a few of them, and they've worked for me on my cars. One of the best improvements you can make in a vehicle is to get the servicing up to date and keep it that way - so you get everything you paid for.

Another "bang for the buck" improvement is installing a K&N drop-in replacement filter, and keeping your tires at the proper inflation. Sounds too easy, and it really is, just make sure you tell whoever changes your oil not to touch the air filter. Sounds like a plug for K&N, but it's just sound advice, I should've bought stock in K&N when I started using their stuff about 25 years ago, and they've worked for me. Missed that boat. :-P

Looking for more performance? It can be found, just be smart and think it all through. And if it sounds too good, it is - check what you hear or read against another source - or 5 of em

Thank you HwyPilot over @ Toyota Nation
Old 02-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post

The OEM intake it came with is (in most cases) going to be the best - sounds crazy but here's the real deal -

1) To sell you something that "looks cool" and makes noise (keywords - sell you something).
2) Because "Fast & Furious" was just such a cool movie and "you gotta be like them, dawg".
3) You'll think your ride is that much better than the next one just like it (they made thousands of em).

Most "cold air intakes" are misleading to begin with. If the filter is an open element (you can see the filter) and it's under the hood, it is actually a "hot air intake" (in other words - they lie and sell you something). When was the last time you ever felt a cool breeze under the hood of a car/ truck? A true cold air intake has to take in air from an ambient source - aka outside the engine bay. If you want one that bad for the "cool factor", or if your car/ truck doesn't breathe from outside the engine bay, find one that fits that description.

The air that the OEM (the one it came with from the factory, or Original Equipment Manufactured) air intake breathes in is usually from just behind the grille itself, or sometimes from a fenderwell. This "air charge" is actually cold (or ambient temperature air), as hot air will just drop your ignition timing (because of pre-ignition or detonation) as the temperature of the intake air increases, and take all your HP with it.

Let common sense help some on deciding just how good an aftermarket part or system is:
1) Why would the Manufacturer short you on the performance it could have for an extra $100?
2) If you gained MPG with a simple piece of tubing and a "one size fits all" air filter element - wouldn't they do that at the factory that built the vehicle?
3) Who do you think has more money and resources for Research and Development - the company that designed and built the entire vehicle, or the company that made that "cold air intake"?
4) If something you could buy and install yourself would actually add HorsePower and MPG, why would any vehicle manufacturer waste millions designing it the way they did (and lose the edge on the competition)?

Add to that the water protection that a stock OEM air box is designed to provide. Water intrusion is a HUGE concern to prevent damage, and here's the reason, air compresses and water doesn't. If an engine breathes in water, and tries to compress it, it will break in a big way.

Some "cold air intake" kits have a water intrusion valve that is basically a ping-pong ball in a sleeve - good luck trusting an engine to that. I know where they got the R&D on that design, just open up a wet/ dry shopvac and you'll see the same thing. Amazing how brilliant these things are when you dig.

What I've said up above didn't all come out of my head somewhere, I have friends that have owned race teams and auto shops for over 40 years. I worked for a few of them, and they've worked for me on my cars. One of the best improvements you can make in a vehicle is to get the servicing up to date and keep it that way - so you get everything you paid for.

Another "bang for the buck" improvement is installing a K&N drop-in replacement filter, and keeping your tires at the proper inflation. Sounds too easy, and it really is, just make sure you tell whoever changes your oil not to touch the air filter. Sounds like a plug for K&N, but it's just sound advice, I should've bought stock in K&N when I started using their stuff about 25 years ago, and they've worked for me. Missed that boat. :-P

Looking for more performance? It can be found, just be smart and think it all through. And if it sounds too good, it is - check what you hear or read against another source - or 5 of em

aight... well for the sake of just going with what you said...

I want this cool thing in my car... regardless...
soooo anyone wanna help?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of CAI do you have?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww_firefighter View Post
what kind of cai do you have?
volant
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
going to need more info
Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
sliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the rough

sliverworm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sliverworm
If you are installing a CAI , you normally remove the entire air intake box and hose, and replace it with the one that you purchased, plug in the mass air sensor and you should be good.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverworm View Post
If you are installing a CAI , you normally remove the entire air intake box and hose, and replace it with the one that you purchased, plug in the mass air sensor and you should be good.
ok that sounds like whats gotta go on...

Im not sure how to take off the ait intake box?
I got the outside part off
but the part that looks like its attached to the engine hood
Old 02-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTacoManChach View Post
ok that sounds like whats gotta go on...

Im not sure how to take off the ait intake box?
I got the outside part off
but the part that looks like its attached to the engine hood
Didn't it come with directions? I have a TRD CAI and I had to take out the whole old unit.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
going to need more info
like what?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.

Here's mine, minus the top engine plate.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Didn't it come with directions? I have a TRD CAI and I had to take out the whole old unit.
ya it came with installation instructions
but it just showed how to install it...

and it doesn't label any factory items
and it doesn't tell me what needs to be removed
or what plugs into what from the factory locals

it just tells you how to assemble what came in the box and thats it
Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Here's mine, minus the top engine plate.
your the man
howd you get the air filter off?
i got the box part installed but the hose part is the problem
Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTacoManChach View Post
your the man
howd you get the air filter off?
i got the box part installed but the hose part is the problem
Damn mine had the directions and there is some bolts you have to take off to get the old unit off. Well I just looked at the directions. Dude, your going to have to find some better instructions. I can't write it out. Mine has pictures.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Damn mine had the directions and there is some bolts you have to take off to get the old unit off. Well I just looked at the directions. Dude, your going to have to find some better instructions. I can't write it out. Mine has pictures.
whatever you can do to help
Old 02-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
This will help
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTR05-35061inst.pdf
Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
HAAH!! Nice!!! There you go. Those are the directions I have!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post

Ahem
This is why they won't put it on your truck when you buy it.
http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/prod...oducts_id=5847
They can hit you for another 400 dollars once your out the door!