Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Good Deal ?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
SeaSoldier is on a distinguished road
SeaSoldier's Tacoma Gallery
Good Deal ?

I'm looking for a new Tacoma PreRunner D/C. I'm not a really good negotiator and I have no problem with the dealership making a profit. I work in construction sales and my new truck will also be my mobile office. If I purchase a silver or gray truck my boss will kick in 1K. I have put 30-35K miles on my vehicles per year since taking this job 7 years ago. I would like a 4x4 for the few weeks a year that it is needed in my area but not sure if it would be worth the couple thou extra. I have seen several posts on various forums of buyers paying 5K below MSRP. I am finally at a point where I wont take any negative equity into y next vehicle. I will be purchasing a 100k warranty as well. What is a realistic amount below MSRP? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSoldier View Post
I'm looking for a new Tacoma PreRunner D/C. I'm not a really good negotiator and I have no problem with the dealership making a profit. I work in construction sales and my new truck will also be my mobile office. If I purchase a silver or gray truck my boss will kick in 1K. I have put 30-35K miles on my vehicles per year since taking this job 7 years ago. I would like a 4x4 for the few weeks a year that it is needed in my area but not sure if it would be worth the couple thou extra. I have seen several posts on various forums of buyers paying 5K below MSRP. I am finally at a point where I wont take any negative equity into y next vehicle. I will be purchasing a 100k warranty as well. What is a realistic amount below MSRP? Any help will be appreciated.
I would hazard a guess that 3-4 grand off MSRP is the best you are going to do depending on options, though that is also dependant on where you are located as some regions seem to have higher mark-ups than other regions.

You can check http://www.edmunds.com/zipcode/new/index.html, enter your zipcode, and then click on toyota and then 07 tacoma and then select the options of the truck on the lot you are looking at, and it will give you msrp for your region, as well as invoice price. This time of year, you should be able to buy any 07 at or even slightly below invoice. (invoice is still a made up inflated number) Any rebates or incentives, would then come off your best negotiated price, as they come from Toyota directly and have no bearing on the dealer, so don't let them try to get that one over on you.

Best tactic IMHO is to check the lot on a Sunday, write down all the options on the truck you are looking at, go home check it on edmunds.com, write down the price you want to pay for it, and then go in to the dealership, and start out with "that truck, this price" If yes write it up, if no walk out the door. The salesperson will appreciate this as most dealerships pay commission if there is profit made, and if there is not then the salesman gets a straid hundred bucks or so for writing the deal. If you are straight with them and get in and out quickly say 2 hours or less, then they are still making $50/hr. and are free that much sooner to take advantage of the next soccer mom buying an suv or minivan.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Just get the best price you can on the truck. You can add the warranty and stuff later, or add it during the paperwork. They try to make a lot of money on the warranty. You can buy a warranty from any Toyota dealer at any time before your truck has 3 years, 36k miles.

I recommend that you call and buy your warranty from this guy. 100k mile warranty for $600-$1000 depending on your model. Doesn't matter where you live in the US or Canada. The warranty works at any dealership.

Troy Dietrich
Business Manager

Toyota of Greenfield

Phone - (413) 772-0231
Fax - (413)774-6519

Email - info@toyotaofgreenfield.com
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i got roughly 3500 off msrp, i would shoot for something in that region. and definately go with the 4x4, especially if you think you will ever need it, if only a few times
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
SeaSoldier is on a distinguished road
SeaSoldier's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, thats the info I needed.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Dont pass up on the 4X4. You might regret it. IMO, Warranties are a waste of money. Your rig is good for 100K except with minor wear items such as brake pads which are not covered anyway. Warranty is a feel good thing
Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Themaster about the warranty and the 4x4. I turned down the warranty on the basis that the reason i'm buying this truck is due to its long life. I definately expect it to hit 100k with no problems, otherwise i would have bought something else. As far as the 4x4, i will probably never NEED it but i got it anyway. its nice to have so you can play with it when you want to use it, and when you do actually need it you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not getting it.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
wrxed96 is on a distinguished road
wrxed96's Tacoma Gallery
get the 4x4, I didn't think I would use it much but got stuck this weekend in a little bit of dirt. Now I need a new truck. On the upside my dealer gives you the 100k warranty, not that I will need it now.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #9

nd's Tacoma Gallery
What happened to your truck wrxed?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division
GMG3 is on a distinguished road

Army:
GMG3's Tacoma Gallery
I got the tow pkg for basically the same reason. Don't tow much, but wanted the heavy duty battery, over size alternator and aux oil cooler. Needed the 4X4 for winter stuff in the mountains.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG3 View Post
I got the tow pkg for basically the same reason. Don't tow much, but wanted the heavy duty battery, over size alternator and aux oil cooler. Needed the 4X4 for winter stuff in the mountains.
Nice truck GMG3. Matches mine exactly.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #12

nd's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, hte tow pkg is definately worth the extra 600 bucks. i was planning on adding a hitch later when i got my boat, but after i found out about the neat little extras i went ahead with the factory installed one for the bigger bat, altinator and oil cooler. now when i finally do get my boat all i gotta do is hook it up and floor it!!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division
GMG3 is on a distinguished road

Army:
GMG3's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Yeah ain't it beautiful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Nice truck GMG3. Matches mine exactly.
Then I'm even more impatient to see how your mileage does with the Eco install. I;m still so thrilled with the truck, I feel slightly disappointed when I get home from work.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine at $3000 off and the color, bed length etc. I got Black, not many around . Silver is perfect and you can get $4000 or more off. They have a million of them it seems to be the color. It is easy to talk price when they have 10 of the same thing on the lot. They are the lost leaders(silver)usually the short bed(5ft). The dealerships are dumping the 2007's right now. The 2008's will only be about $500-750 off untill the inventory from 2007 is gone, so you might have to wait till Xmas to get a deal there. Great time to buy a truck is Xmas. Best time now new 2007's. I just bought mine it had 5 miles on it