Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Have a New Tacoma, reading code 0333, Help Please...

Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
WMRanch is on a distinguished road
Name: Cari
WMRanch's Tacoma Gallery
Have a New Tacoma, reading code 0333, Help Please...

I've had my '05 Tacoma less than a year and yesterday the check engine light came on, ran a reader and it says code 0333, I've looked a bunch online but can't find anything that actually pertains to the Tacoma engines, it's all Tundra's or FJ's and I believe those are different engines.

Can anyone help me figure out what this is and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
So unless you've put bad gas into the truck it shouldn't be knocking. And 9/10 it's an issue with the knock sensor itself. Wiring could be bad. Sensor could be loose. But first things first is make sure it's not the gas. Not all gas stations are created equal.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
WMRanch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
So unless you've put bad gas into the truck it shouldn't be knocking. And 9/10 it's an issue with the knock sensor itself. Wiring could be bad. Sensor could be loose. But first things first is make sure it's not the gas. Not all gas stations are created equal.

It's not actually knocking. Nothing is wrong except the check engine light came on and I have to get it smogged this month.

If it's the sensor how do I replace it? Is it something I can do myself?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've never done one on my tacoma. But I've change a bunch on some Hondas. And they are a simple unplug the connector and get an open end wrench and unscrew them from the block. But that is me assuming they are the same way on the tacoma. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Azntrutek is on a distinguished road
Azntrutek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
I've never done one on my tacoma. But I've change a bunch on some Hondas. And they are a simple unplug the connector and get an open end wrench and unscrew them from the block. But that is me assuming they are the same way on the tacoma. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
It is a hell of the job. You have to remove a lots ( intake, valve covers,header, fuel rails.....etc) get to that knock sensor. Dealer charge 2200$ for this type of work .
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azntrutek View Post
It is a hell of the job. You have to remove a lots ( intake, valve covers,header, fuel rails.....etc) get to that knock sensor. Dealer charge 2200$ for this type of work .
Wow! I remember on my old Rsx all you had to do was reach down onto the front of the block. No more than a 5 minute job!! That's nuts.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
WMRanch's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah crazy, just for a sensor! How the heck am I supposed to get this done before smog.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMRanch View Post
Yeah crazy, just for a sensor! How the heck am I supposed to get this done before smog.
Take it to a reputable shop and get it checked and repaired properly. Without proper troubleshooting and just throwing parts at it may fix it, but it is very expensive and time consuming process...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
WMRanch's Tacoma Gallery
Would it work to disconnect the battery and reset it, just to run down and get it smogged real quick? Then deal with it correctly when I have more time?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
Simply disconnecting the battery to reset the CEL won't work. It used to work back in the day but now when you get a SMOG check they check to see that there have been a certain amount of miles put in since the last ECU reset. Something to do with the ECU having to calibrate itself again (not too sure on the specifics).

I would suggest taking it to a shop to see if they could provide a more in depth diagnosis.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Check this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...placement.html
Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe stop by a smog shop and talk to them as to what it would do to the smog results. Also aren't smog related componets warranty for 100,000 miles? Or do you have over 100,000 on it?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the P0333 knock sensor code. Mine involved chipmunks. Not cheap.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
What's with the knock sensor that apparently makes it rodent filet mignon?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
All cars are now made with a soy based wiring insulation. It smells like dinner to rodents. See chewed injector wiring, fuel pump wiring, etc... All th time where I work.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
What's with the knock sensor that apparently makes it rodent filet mignon?
It's a nice warm tight space.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #17
5.56 is on a distinguished road
5.56's Tacoma Gallery
Since this is apparently a common issue, is there a way to dissuade this from happening?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Peppermint Oil.