Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone have their wheel bearings life cut DRAMATICALLY short after 35 inch tires ?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
do you guys with failed bearings cross a lot of water? I want bigger tires and am aware that I need spacers or different rims but absolutely will not do it if its gunna wreak havoc on wheel bearings.

maybe those of us living in "constant drought" conditions can expect better life?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by no mods View Post
I suppose then have dirty oil issues, air filter issues, brake pad issues and tire pressure issue too. A $40 dollar repair once a year is just the cost of doing business in my book
I'm not saying that you aren't willing to live with the problem. I'm just saying that the larger tires and spacers will drastically shorten the Normal Life Span ( which should be measured in years, not months ) of those bearings and seals.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I have had 35s for 168K miles, (174K total miles on truck) on the same wheel bearings. Also have a 6" lift kit. No wheel spacers though. Something is def. amiss. Just had my bearing checked at Toyota and they said they looked, worked, and sounded good.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #24
05BDS is on a distinguished road
05BDS's Tacoma Gallery
!?!?!??!!?

Man, trade me trucks !? Lol !
Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I have had 35s for 168K miles, (174K total miles on truck) on the same wheel bearings. Also have a 6" lift kit. No wheel spacers though. Something is def. amiss. Just had my bearing checked at Toyota and they said they looked, worked, and sounded good.

I think there are two major factors for wheel bearing failure in these trucks.

A) Alignment. If you have a lot of toe in or are out of whack there will be more consistent side load on the bearing contributing to early failure.

B) Contamination. Water, mud, etc. They aren't sealed very well. Taking a nice hot hub and giving it a mudbath will draw water into it...Have you ever noticed the 2wd guys hardly have failed bearings? They don't have CV's...

I also noticed the factory bearings have very little grease on them. There is AIR space in there. It's not that the amount of grease is insufficient to lubricate the bearings, just that it's insufficient to seal the bearings from the elements. Kind of a shitty design imo.