1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longevity of a Dealer installed Leveling Kit?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by McCoyote, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Jul 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    McCoyote

McCoyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco TuRD OffRoad
    Hi! I just bought a new 2013 TRD Off-Road and have been tempted to purchase a leveling kit from the dealer. Has anyone done this and have pictures or reviews?

I'm still on the fence on whether to purchase one at all yet, so any advice on wear and tear on the vehicle as it gets miles would be appreciated. I plan on having this truck for the duration.

Thanks!

2. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    First I would have verified, in writing, that if you got a dealer installed leveling kit, that they would not void ANY part of your warranty (Some lift kits can cause the manufacturer to rightly void your suspension warranty depending on the lift)

Once that is said and clear, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get it done. A lot of these trucks seem to ride better once leveled. BUT, if you are planning on doing any towing, I would reconsider. The reason almost every truck has that back end higher than the front is that when you load it up, or stick a trailer on the back, it will then ride level. If you install a leveling kit, then later on start towing, or put a topper on the back, you might find yourself with a little too much bro-lean. Just my $.02 worth.

3. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Longevity depends on the type of leveling kit used. All of them will pretty much last as long as the stock components if you drive 100% on pavement. A top plate spacer kit (least expensive way for dealer) can break the shock when off-roading. However, the factory warranty doesn't cover damage off road, so the dealer isn't liable. Leveling by coil spacer or Bilstein 5100 shock replacement don't carry the same risk.

4. Jul 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    There are so many variables. It's really hard for us to give you 100 percent account of how long it's going to last. It's going to come down to your driving, the places you drive etc. That's like me making a thread, "how long is my windshield going to last from the day I buy my Tacoma?". No one really knows. If you buy it then you're just going to have to find out.

5. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    McCoyote

McCoyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco TuRD OffRoad
    That is a fair point, which is why i prefaced my question with "Has anyone done this and have pictures or reviews?" If I buy it, and it destroys my truck, then fail. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.

My intent was to ascertain various problems that might have occurred outside of normal wear and tear due to the installation of a Dealer installed leveling kit. Should I have changed the title of the post or phrased the question differently?

6. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    McCoyote

McCoyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco TuRD OffRoad
    In reality, I'll probably be mostly highway (Alaska) so part of what factors into my decision is just the look of it. :rolleyes: I don't anticipate much towing and only marginal off-roading, but everything is within the realm of possibilities and I'd like to maintain all of my options. With that in mind, I'd probably not get to into replacing the suspension or other appurtenances if I can help it. The Dealer option just seems like a safe bet, without voiding the warranty.

7. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    McCoyote

McCoyote [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    13 Taco TuRD OffRoad
    That's good advice. I've heard of several not-quite-horror-but-would-be-in-a-different-reality stories about warranties getting voided for ridiculous things or that the warranty just didn't cover what they thought it would.

Do you think just getting a small lift on the front and back would be better? I'm not sure if the Dealer would do that, but it would help if I ever did tow something heavy. On that same thought, I suppose if I were towing something heavy, it probably wouldn't be for a very long duration.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  8. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Neotoma

Neotoma Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4
    De-activated seatbelt chime! Whew!
    By leveling kit, if you mean "lift kit" then be aware that even the dealership service people confided to me that their own lift kits are prone to eating CV joints. Just sayin'...

9. Jul 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    ANY modification that changes the factory angles of the suspension system can be suspect. Manufacturers will find any excuse they can these days to deny a warranty claim, though with the Moss law, it does make things better for the consumer. You just have to be aware and know the facts, and what your dealer says IN WRITING.

10. Jul 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    It will be easier if you post the exact type of leveling kit used by the dealer. We'll be able to quickly tell you if it's an upgrade or downgrade from stock. :)

It's unlikely a leveling kit (i.e. 1.5"-2" front lift) will shorten the CV life by an appreciable amount. For comparison, the TX Baja edition lifts the front by 2" and maintains the factory 5-year powertrain warranty. Toyota wouldn't offer it if failure rates were projected to be high.

It may be worthwhile to compare the cost of a Baja edition vs a dealer-installed leveling kit. Dealers typically gouge you on leveling- and lift kits (e.g. charging $2000 for $400 worth of parts). There are only 1000 or so Baja edition trucks sold every year, though, so waiting time could be long.

Baja Edition
    Front suspension: http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/road...coma_trd_t_x_baja_series+front_suspension.jpg
    Rear suspension: http://image.trucktrend.com/f/36219815/2012-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-TX-Baja-Series-leaf-spring.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top