Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Debate: lift vs no lift 285s

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Debate: lift vs no lift 285s

Back story..

I am getting 285s I also will be getting icon mid travel setup at some point but not any time soon. Anyways, since I will have my 285s first and I want to run the least amount of lift possible I am going to trim/cut beat the shit out of everything to get as close to full flex on factory suspension as possible and I don't see why I would having a problem doing so..

Measurements at full flex on 265s in the rear I have we'll over 1" clearance everywhere but the top of the fender ( the lip to be exact ) and I'm at about
1-1/4 " there so would for sure need cut rolled..

Up front I already know a lot of the plastic liner will need to be removed and a lot of work on the cab mount and beating the shit out of the pinch weld but other then that I don't see any problem areas that trimming (including the listed areas) won't fix ..

I almost know this is possible just from measurements I have been taking over the last couple weeks. What do others think.. People who have tried and by try I don't mean minimum trimming and possibly spacers because of the uca if that's a issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
It may help if you specified exactly what tire you're considering.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
It may help if you specified exactly what tire you're considering.
Sorry going on a 17x8 wheel with 4.5 backspacing and going to be running bfg at ko ta's 285/70r17 or cooper discovery stt 285/70r17
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Old 07-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Also maybe look into the Cooper STMaxx. Hearing lots of good stuff from friends who run them!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Also maybe look into the Cooper STMaxx. Hearing lots of good stuff from friends who run them!
Will do!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
Sorry going on a 17x8 wheel with 4.5 backspacing and going to be running bfg at ko ta's 285/70r17 or cooper discovery stt 285/70r17
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO in 285/70-17 = 32.8" diameter, 9.2" tread width

Cooper Discoverer STT in 285/70-17 = 33" diameter, 8.85" tread width

So nothing like a 35" tire that was discussed the first time around.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it no problem. In fact you are doing it the right way unlike 99% of the trucks on this site. You see, lift or no lift when the shock is at full compression the tire ends up stuffed in the same place. 'Course, spacer lifts reduce the uptravel some...and drop bracket lifts change where the tire tops out, but still should be checked the same way. I pop the coilovers out, put the tires back on and let the truck off the jack. I have chalk handy and mark anything that rubs. Chop, cut, hammer it out of the way and let it off the jack again... then turn the tires, full lock to lock, and trim some more. Don't forget to leave a little more clearance than you need to account for bumpstop compression and frame flex...

Old 07-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
[...]
I pop the coilovers out, put the tires back on and let the truck off the jack. I have chalk handy and mark anything that rubs. Chop, cut, hammer it out of the way and let it off the jack again... then turn the tires, full lock to lock, and trim some more. Don't forget to leave a little more clearance than you need to account for bumpstop compression and frame flex...
Sounds good. If you have aftermarket bumps that offer a lot of compression, remove the bump stops and tape a spacer in their place that approximates their thickness at full compression. That may make it easier to trim enough the first time, or check for other problems.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

Quote:
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO in 285/70-17 = 32.8" diameter, 9.2" tread width

Cooper Discoverer STT in 285/70-17 = 33" diameter, 8.85" tread width

So nothing like a 35" tire that was discussed the first time around.
I never said I was running a 35 I said you could
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
I never said I was running a 35 I said you could
Why would I want to run 35s? They'd rub like crazy yo!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
You can do it no problem. In fact you are doing it the right way unlike 99% of the trucks on this site. You see, lift or no lift when the shock is at full compression the tire ends up stuffed in the same place. 'Course, spacer lifts reduce the uptravel some...and drop bracket lifts change where the tire tops out, but still should be checked the same way. I pop the coilovers out, put the tires back on and let the truck off the jack. I have chalk handy and mark anything that rubs. Chop, cut, hammer it out of the way and let it off the jack again... then turn the tires, full lock to lock, and trim some more. Don't forget to leave a little more clearance than you need to account for bumpstop compression and frame flex...

Thank you, you are just backing what I already knew I could do and was told would be in usable and pointless.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq View Post
Looks like glass upfront.
Read his build he has a lot more then glass he was showing pictures of the trimming cutting and bfg modifications and the best way to so it.. Almost positive the Torres there are a lot bigger then 285
Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Why would I want to run 35s? They'd rub like crazy yo!
Rubbing makes you a cool kid, right?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Well, let's play chess.

That would depend on what's being rubbed, and who's doing the rubbing.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #18

Quote:
That would depend on what's being rubbed, and who's doing the rubbing.
Lol
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Those pics are crazy?! You'll have to do a CMC for sure, and a $hit ton of cutting and crap to get a 285 70 17 to fit non lifted.

Subbed'

Thanks,

Brett
Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceline08 View Post
Those pics are crazy?! You'll have to do a CMC for sure, and a $hit ton of cutting and crap to get a 285 70 17 to fit non lifted.

Subbed'

Thanks,

Brett

It's going to happen and I will keep everyone updated just a matter of time or getting my tires sold to pay for new ones.. Pretty sure his pictures are 37" h1 setup though a lot bigger then what I will have as I said though I could be wrong about his pictures cause he did run 33"s for awhile

Products Discussed in this Thread